Crooked Gun/Ammo Distributors?

This is a discussion on Crooked Gun/Ammo Distributors? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a feeling we're getting screwed by the gun/ammo distributors. What do you think? Don't you think it's rather peculiar when you can walk ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crooked Gun/Ammo Distributors?

Crooked Gun/Ammo Distributors?

I have a feeling we're getting screwed by the gun/ammo distributors. What do you think?

Don't you think it's rather peculiar when you can walk into a mom and pop gun shop and see no guns, ammo or accessories? But yet walk into another gunshop and see the shelves full? If you've ever sold guns or had access to a distributors website you will see that guns and ammo are "allocated" before they arrive at the distributor. Or they don't list any quantities on hand but say "call your rep". Something fishy is going on. I think manufacturers and/or distributors may be hoarding or holding back products to drive up prices. And I think distributors are selectively putting smaller mom and pop gunshops out of business by catering to those gunshops that have high volume sales. Either way it's not fair or right.

2. Remove Ads

Volume dealers are a fairly new trend. Of course they're going to get the allocated guns from the distributors, they're selling them. Don't forget, the mom & pop shops are usually the ones with the full retail price. They've been screwing you for years.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Volume dealers are a fairly new trend. Of course they're going to get the allocated guns from the distributors, they're selling them. Don't forget, the mom & pop shops are usually the ones with the full retail price. They've been screwing you for years.
    Not nessarily true Husker. I think the distributors are playing favorites. The mom and pop shops around here have always had decent prices. Ever shop at Cabelas, Sportco, Sportmans Warehouse, Big Five, etc, etc...........

They sell at full MSRP. Now that's a ripoff. Those are the ******** that are getting a better price because they have the buying power and then screw us with full retail prices.

the big stores probably had bigger orders to fill to begin with plus they move more product on a regular basis - ie better customers

So now we can call those "better customers" idiots for paying those high prices. I have no compassion for those that don't do thier homework and shop around a little before buying.

I still don't buy it. We're getting screwed.

I would agree with the OP to a point. I'm sure there is a little bit there, but at the same time they have to sell their guns to the distributors to make a profit. As far as the mom and pop being a rip off...I can always find better price there than at big box stores...and then there always the internet.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

VIP Member
    All of what is going on is still based on demand and manufactures, distributors and the local small shops are all on the bandwagon. obama wanted to stimulate the economy and he did quite well in the guns N’ ammo department.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I'll say this... our local gun shop just changed hands and I love it. It is a GREAT place for me and my son to drop by on a Friday afternoon and fondle guns, talk guns and enjoy the owners. They offer personable service and always smile.

We used to own a wallpaper shop. Folks would come in and spend hours and hours picking our brains and looking at the inventory of $200 sample books. At the end, they would go into the classified ads at the back of Southern Living and buy @50% off.

In my case, a couple of weeks ago, I went in for an XD45c and an XDm in 9mm. Without asking, I got a discount on the weapons and a handshake and a thank you.

I'll take that over BassPro any day. Whatever I pay, included in that price is local expertise, a great place to drop by and chat and a close by place to fondle guns...
    When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion. - C. P. Snow

It gets harder and harder every purchase, disappointing really when you can't support you own city or state shops because they must have been drinking when they were pricing. That's why I buy online or at the shows.
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Al.40cal View Post
    It gets harder and harder every purchase, disappointing really when you can't support you own city or state shops because they must have been drinking when they were pricing. That's why I buy online or at the shows.
    I understand completely. However the gunshow prices here are for the most part outrageous. Same with the internet. But it all starts with the manufacturers and distributors.

We do a gun show nearly every week. We have contracted for a certain number of tables long in advance. In order to have somethong interesting to put on those tables, we often pay silly money for product. We price everything based on what we paid for it, and our margin is very, very thin.

If you want a scarce item, plan on getting skinned alive on the price, just like we were. Life is not always fair!
    Last edited by obxned; June 29th, 2009 at 07:47 AM.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    We do a gun show nearly every week. We have conracted for a certain number of tables long in advance. In order to have somethong interesting to put on those tables, we often pay silly money for product. We price everything based on what we paid for it, and our margin is very, very thin.

If you want a scarce item, plan on getting skinned alive on the price, just like we were. Life is not always fair!
    Exactly my point. I can't fault you for keeping your head above water. It's the people that your paying the "silly prices" too that I hold in contempt. Their day will come.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

Well that is an opinion

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I have a feeling we're getting screwed by the gun/ammo distributors. What do you think?
    I don't think that at all. I believe it is simple supply and demand economics.

Don't you think it's rather peculiar when you can walk into a mom and pop gun shop and see no guns, ammo or accessories? But yet walk into another gunshop and see the shelves full?
    With the exception of Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops I have not seen anyone with lots of inventory these days. Larger companies will agree to purchase a certain volume in order to receive preferential pricing in turn the manufacturer and distributor is bound to deliver the product. Along the same lines, I am in sales (construction related) and due to the overall economy my smaller customers are reducing there inventories.

If you've ever sold guns or had access to a distributors website you will see that guns and ammo are "allocated" before they arrive at the distributor. Or they don't list any quantities on hand but say "call your rep". Something fishy is going on.
    Why is that "fishy" my customers do not have online access to my inventory levels, they have to call me.

I think manufacturers and/or distributors may be hoarding or holding back products to drive up prices.
    Nope, not happening, they would just raise there prices if they wanted there is no merit in “holding back".

And I think distributors are selectively putting smaller mom and pop gunshops out of business by catering to those gunshops that have high volume sales. Either way it's not fair or right.
    It is absolutely fair; I offer higher discount levels to better customers. It is not about putting anyone out of business it is just smart business.

I do have an MBA and work in the real world where I manage about 100 million in sales. The firearm industry is more regulated than mine but the principles are the same.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    I don't think that at all. I believe it is simple supply and demand economics.

With the exception of Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops I have not seen anyone with lots of inventory these days. Larger companies will agree to purchase a certain volume in order to receive preferential pricing in turn the manufacturer and distributor is bound to deliver the product. Along the same lines, I am in sales (construction related) and due to the overall economy my smaller customers are reducing there inventories.

Why is that "fishy" my customers do not have online access to my inventory levels, they have to call me.

Nope, not happening, they would just raise there prices if they wanted there is no merit in “holding back".

It is absolutely fair; I offer higher discount levels to better customers. It is not about putting anyone out of business it is just smart business.

I do have an MBA and work in the real world where I manage about 100 million in sales. The firearm industry is more regulated than mine but the principles are the same.
    Within a 10 mile radius, I have a few friends that either own or operate gunshops. I have seen and talked to sales reps from different distributors while at these shops. I don't buy that crap about good business, supply and demand, etc.......... I've seen the
    "good ole boy" routine happen before my eyes. It's not all nicey nicey. It's about the almighty buck and who kisses who's ass the best.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    what I see is that the vast majority of land mass of the USA is rural and dotted with small towns and communities. These are occupied by folks that are most likely more prone to be routine shooters and gun owners than the big cities. Most of the "mega-shops" are located in the big cities. Why in the world would the big distributors want to risk losing a lot of business by concentrating their efforts in the big cities?

I hate visiting "big town" myself, and regret the fact that all the small gun shops in my small town area are unable to even get most guns from the distributors. My favorite shop has had a serious problem with stocking since last December, but I will still do as much business with him as possible. I got in from a long weekend last night and immediately headed for the "shop" at 8:00 p.m. (five minute drive) to pick up a rifle he was tweaking for me. I sat and had a really nice cigar out of the shop humidor, a cold drink out of the fridge, talked guns and politics, played with the dogs and the ducks, and left about 11: p.m. I would hate to see my favorite shop close due to the mega-market mentality.

Did I mention I hate big cities? (especially after spending the last 3 days in DFW highway hell)

surv

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links