HELP - FTF's in my new Kimber w/ Pic's

This is a discussion on HELP - FTF's in my new Kimber w/ Pic's within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello everyone, I have a new Kimber Ultra Carry 2 that now has 540 rounds through it. Well last time i shot it i had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP - FTF's in my new Kimber w/ Pic's

Hello everyone,
    I have a new Kimber Ultra Carry 2 that now has 540 rounds through it. Well last time i shot it i had a couple FTF's so today when i took it out i took a camera & iam hoping those with more experiance can help me tell whats going on
    Ok today i shot 140 rounds & had 3 FTF's (did take pic's every time) now the first time it did it i got so involved in taking pic's i forgot to see what Mag did it (although last time i think we had a combo of both Mags with FTF's but more in the #2) this time the last 2 FTF's came from my #2 Magazine. Please let me know what u think

P.S... A small rack of the slide fixes it every time
    Attached Images
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

The hollow point might be hanging up on the feed ramp, you could see if polishing the ramp would help. I had a similar issue on my Kel-Tec PF-9.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

It looks like the slide is locked back. Is the slide stop engaged with the cut in the frame? I'd be looking at the slide stop for brass/copper marks where the rounds are hitting it and engaging it prematurely.

Dry
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

JD
    Administrator
    Actually, I had that same problem with one of my Kimbers, the mag catch was allowing the mag to ride low.

Could be to dry as AZHusker commented, but as you've got 500+ down the pipe, call Kimber and let them fix it, stop wasting your ammo trying to break it in, you did your part let Kimber finish doing theirs.

I had the exact same thing happen with my Tac Ultra 2. I bought mine used, but I wasnt sure how much mileage it had on it. I looked to be in good shape though, as far as wear goes, so I wasnt too worried about it.

When I hit the range with it, it would FTF every so often, no matter what brand of ammo I used. It got worse if the ammo produced more fouling of the chamber. In the end I called Kimber up, and talked to a guy in the shop. He said for me to send him the pistol, and they would have a look at it. I asked him for a round figure on cost for repairs since I am the second owner, he said not to worry about it, they will cover it under warranty. I know that's not what your asking about here, but I was really impressed by that level of service.

Anyway, back on track. The guy told me after he did the work on it, and sent it back to me, that what he did was this: put 7 mags through it to test, trim down the return spring to get the timing back in order. Replace the slide, and test fire 7 mags through it/break it in some, and he felt it was back in good order. Since Ive had it basck, ive put 300 rounds through it and 0 issues. I wish I could feed it more but ammo prices are holding me back.

While I had him on the phone though, we discussed things like ammo types, and other issues that might cause this. He did not feel it was an extractor issue, and he did say some types of ammo are better then others through these pistols. Unfortunately, I don't recall which ammo he said, because I normally use CCI Blazer Brass or Winchester White box, and Federal HST respectively, and IIRC, he said that was one of the types he had success with , so I didn't bother noting what he didnt have luck with. Sorry.

Only problem I had was, when I took it down after firing it, I noted a sharp edge on the grip housing, so I had to file it down as it was scuffing and scraping and a friction point on the slide as it was working.

VIP Member
    Any luck in the diagnosis? I am sorry to hear that you are getting FTF's with your new rig. I frankly would be pissed and have Kimber fix the problem. That is a lot of money to spend on a poorly performing firearm.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

if they are stock mags i would ditch them and get some Wilson or Tripp mags.

i'd also try replacing the recoil spring.

when my UC II was still new, (first 2,000 rds or so, I found that it could hang up like that on occaision if I didn't have enough oil/lube on the slide.

While Kimber says 500 rounds break-in, I found it can take a little longer, expecially for non-FMJ ball

Quote Originally Posted by roadsiderob View Post
    It looks like the slide is locked back. Is the slide stop engaged with the cut in the frame? I'd be looking at the slide stop for brass/copper marks where the rounds are hitting it and engaging it prematurely.
    I think this is the problem......Iam sorry i didnt pay attention enough to remember if it was in Full Battery or not

I do know the pistol is NOT dry & i was using FMJ's (winchestor white box & Blazer brass) & i believe it done it once with my Federal HST's i shot through it also (cant remember for sure)

I have included pic's of brass marks on the slide stop, now is this something iam doing wrong or is there something wrong with my Kimber
    Attached Images
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Call Kimber and explain the problem and specifically mention the brass markings on the slide stop. They'll send you a "modified" slide stop and that should fix your problem. Also, it might not be a bad idea to replace the recoil spring as IIRC, Kimber recommends replacement around 800 rounds on the Pro, Compact and Ultra models and you're getting close enough to that number that it wouldn't hurt. Once you get the slide stop, replace the spring and use some good lube such as FP-10 to run it wet, put another 100 rounds through it. If you still have issues, put the old spring back back in and send it Kimber so they can make it right.

Slide stops are a fitted part in a 1911 and may have to have a little material removed if the rounds are hitting them. Since it's a new gun, I'd let the manufacturer take care of it. If it were a used gun I'd take a small file to the area of the slide stop where the copper/brass marks are and carefully remove a little material.

I would call Kimber or visit a local Kimber gunsmith before doing anything like polishing the feed ramp. I have an Ultra CDP II that had some FTF/FTRB issues in the first 500 rounds. Breakin, a good wet lube job, wilson mags, and fresh recoil springs and some other tweaks solved the problem.

You may also want to look at some of the FAQs over at The M1911 Pistols Organization for some other ideas -- i got my answers there :)

b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim_45 View Post
    I think this is the problem......Iam sorry i didnt pay attention enough to remember if it was in Full Battery or not

I do know the pistol is NOT dry & i was using FMJ's (winchestor white box & Blazer brass) & i believe it done it once with my Federal HST's i shot through it also (cant remember for sure)

I have included pic's of brass marks on the slide stop, now is this something iam doing wrong or is there something wrong with my Kimber
    That's also exactly what happened with mine. Trust me when I say this, and I realize you probably dont want to send off your pistol for what may seem like an eternity(Got mine back in 5 weeks), but call Kimber up, and talk to them.

The mag is pushed in to far... I dont know how or why, but grab your Kimber ultra and look at it... the mag is keeping the slide from closing on his gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links