Lighter trigger pull?

Lighter trigger pull?

This is a discussion on Lighter trigger pull? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am used to having custom triggers on my hunting rifles, so I am wondering, is it possible to get a lighter trigger or trigger ...

Thread: Lighter trigger pull?

Lighter trigger pull?

I am used to having custom triggers on my hunting rifles, so I am wondering, is it possible to get a lighter trigger or trigger spring for my PT145 Mill or any other tricks to lighten trigger pull?? I think it is a Gen 1, not Pro.

Thanks, and I did search first.

1943 - 2009
    Any reasonably competent gunsmith can lighten the trigger pull on a handgun.

Check with Pete Forthofer in Kalispell. He's in the book.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Thanks Captain. He has done all of my rifles, I just thought I would check here first.

EDIT: I just spoke with Pete and he said that there is very little he can do, because of it being double action. He said that there is just too much linkage etc to be able to get very much gain from it. Oh well, it is a EDC so if I ever really need to use it defensively I am sure my adrenaline will be so high that I'll never notice the trigger!!!

He did say that a single action semi-auto is a good candidate though. Maybe I'll think about saving for a Kimber or maybe a PT145 Mil Pro.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Mas Ayoob says this is a bad idea for civil liability reasons. A savvy Atny might characterize it as a "hair" trigger.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I dislike the double action only trigger anyway which by it's very design is more difficult to pull. I only want handguns with single action capabilities. I like choices and DAO is yuck.

If my Kimber's trigger was any lighter, I'd probably have a few double taps without thinking about it...

To the OP...smoother is good, but much lighter can cause SD problems.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Dry fire it till u hurt..if its anything like the pt140 I had the trigger pull wasnt bad but it was way to gritty.. dry fireing it will help smooth it out. The sig I have with the dak trigger isnt what I would call "light" but its butter smooth which to me is the more important of the two.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    Dry fire it till u hurt..if its anything like the pt140 I had the trigger pull wasnt bad but it was way to gritty.. dry fireing it will help smooth it out. The sig I have with the dak trigger isnt what I would call "light" but its butter smooth which to me is the more important of the two.
    I did a heavy duty clean with Gunzilla and it is a lot smoother now, just heavy
    I'll keep the liability part in mind.

Edit, dry firing it is okay?

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I don't buy the liability thing at all. If you draw in self defense, point your weapon, and put your finger in the trigger guard, I don't think it would matter if you had a 2.2# trigger (like my SA Kimber), or a 7.2-3.2# trigger (like my DA/SA Sig). The intent to stop the threat is the same no matter what.

And, as for smoothing the trigger, I agree with the "dry fire til it hurts" routine. For that matter, with a semi-auto, load up the magazine with a full stack of snap caps and hand cycle the action as well as dry fire. This will (almost) do the same break in for a new gun as live fire, although not near as much fun.

surv

Cool. I'll try the dry fire routine, or better yet, I'll just shoot! Meh, I'll do both. Thanks for the advice.

Mas Ayoob says this is a bad idea for civil liability reasons. A savvy Atny might characterize it as a "hair" trigger.
    What I recall Mas saying was that "Smoothing the trigger pull, by a licensed and competent Gunsmith is OK if you can articulate why you did so."

Personally I have some guns that have been "worked on" by competent people, and others that have not. It all depends on the gun and it's intended usage. My carry revolvers, except one, have been worked on. I didn't intentionally "lighten" the trigger pull, but did have the trigger pull smoothed out. That smoothing out gives a sensation of lightening.

You can do this by dry firing and shooting a lot too. The Gunsmith is just speeding up the process by using sandpaper/emory cloth. There is a reason for having a "smooth" trigger, but I will not derail this thread to give those reasons. My personal off duty carry guns at this time have not had their triggers touched, because they don't need it. There have been some "minor" modifications though, like sights.

Biker

Sponsored Links