S&W Sigma .40 and 9mm question

This is a discussion on S&W Sigma .40 and 9mm question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Any owners out there than can comment on either of these? My father is looking into one (I was too, until I found Springfield Armory). ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Sigma .40 and 9mm question

Any owners out there than can comment on either of these? My father is looking into one (I was too, until I found Springfield Armory). Never had any trigger time so not sure what to tell him. My gut says spend another ~$200 and get a Glock or XD, but if the Sigma is a reliable firearm, at the price point it is. It may be a good auto for him.

Any input is appreciated.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Friend of mine has Sigma. No problems & says he like's it fine.
    For God, Family and Country!

Shot my buddy's awhile ago. I hear they're reliable but I didn't like the trigger on his at all :-( May want to try one out before purchasing.

I have one and they are reliable and at a great price. If I had to do it over again I would save the extra $200 and go for an XD or maybe a little more and gotten an M&P.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I had one on loan for a week, Sigma SW9VE Allied Forces model. Everything was great except for the heavy trigger pull.

But for a defensive pistol with no other external safeties an 8-9 pound DAO pull is fine.

If this is an issue save some extra $$ and get a G19 but in saying that the SW9VE was the most comfortable gun ive ever held next to a Glock, and so simple to take apart.

The trigger can be made lighter and people say will drop to about 6-7 pounds DAO after 500 rounds or plenty of dry firing.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    They may be the best pistol for their price range . . . period.

Heavy trigger is around 12lb pull, due to a lawsuit with Glock years ago, but S&W will fix that for free if you call and have them ship the pistol from you to them and back to you.

As stated, absolutely no safeties other than the trigger safety on these guns. They were police department issue duty guns at one time so they are reliable.

I personally hate the plastic sights and have seen them come loose. Metal sights or night sights would be a good accessory for these.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I sold my XD and bought the SW9VE when Academy had the SW rebates. $275 before tax was an awesome deal and I used the extra money from selling the XD to pay off some other things. It is a very reliable weapon and I enjoy mine very much.

My S&W Sigma 40 is great and has been nothing but reliable right out of the box. Accuracy is okay (certainly more than serviceable for SD). The trigger is it's only drawback, and probably why it isn't more accurate. Ergonomics are great, all controls are within easy one handed reach, and it is very comfortable and natural to hold.

I prefer the looks of the Sigma to the M&P. If I were to do it over, I might have spent the extra $200 or so and gone with a Glock 23. I have never regretted purchasing the Sigma, however.

I don't know what your dad is using it for, but I find it to be too large/bulky for summertime carry. It works during the winter though. The smaller size of the Glock 23 coupled with the Glock's better trigger are the only reasons I said I might have gone with the Glock instead if I were to do it over. I'm very happy with my Sigma.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Mine will eat any ammo and ask for seconds. Never had a single jam in over 2000 rds. Grip is the most comfortable I've ever held.

If you're going to use it as a target gun invest elsewhere, if it's for defense then go for it. The trigger pull is heavy but for a defense weapon it's about perfect OMO.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

A gunsmith familiar with the design should be able to do a trigger job suitable for a SD gun for between $20 and $40. They're a good bargain for the money. I hate the 10 round restricted magazines, but the normal capacity ones are sturdy enough to drive nails with.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    A gunsmith familiar with the design should be able to do a trigger job suitable for a SD gun for between $20 and $40. They're a good bargain for the money. I hate the 10 round restricted magazines, but the normal capacity ones are sturdy enough to drive nails with.
    No need to spend anything. Smith & Wesson will fix it free and it will come back with a 5.5lb trigger.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I've had a SW40VE for right at 2 years now. About 1000 rounds through it (I don't get to shoot much) without any problems what so ever. Never rejected a single round. It is my primary carry mainly because I can't afford a $1000 gun. I like it and trust it. The trigger lightened up and smoothed out after a while but it is still tough. I like it that way since there is no external safety.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I have both, There is a trigger job on the S&W Forum that can be done, Simply remove a couple of springs that do nothing but increase trigger pull wieght. I have not had a single failure in either, close to a 1000 rounds through each. It is accurate, and fairly concealable. If you can get it at the right price it can be a real steal.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Thanks all for your replies. I'll forward this thread on to my dad. And it will be a defense weapon and not a range queen. He had his business broken into the other day at around 4:30am. He's usually the first to arrive at around 6am. I had already helped open his eyes, but that sealed the deal. Think I can probably even get to him to spring for my CCW course expenses after this

I would go with the XD, its a very reliable weapon and shoots well, and most people say it feels great in their hands which in turn helps them to shoot better, granted I know this might not be the case for everyone who has shot the XD but the people I have talked to say this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links