BANG! Practice Without Hearing Protection

This is a discussion on BANG! Practice Without Hearing Protection within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at my local membership outdoor range this week putting some rounds through my .45 Dan Wesson Bobtail, checking it out after I got ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BANG! Practice Without Hearing Protection

BANG! Practice Without Hearing Protection

I was at my local membership outdoor range this week putting some rounds through my .45 Dan Wesson Bobtail, checking it out after I got it back from the factory for some warranty work.

Now, because I have always, always used hearing protection since the first time I shot a firearm, it dawned on me that I never have been close to a gun when fired, without hearing protection. I wondered, if the time comes when I have to use a firearm in self defense, it might be good to have experienced shooting, at least one round, without hearing protection, so I would know what it was like.

As I was the only person on the range, I thought, ok, I'll try it once.

HOLY COW, IS THAT THING LOUD!!!!! No wonder it's said that people who are in a gunfight get disoriented some times and don't remember it clearly. I've also heard that in such a fight or flight stress situation, hearing shuts down to some degree, so it might not be so disorienting.

No real point to my post, just an observation (and I won't be doing it again). Anyone else?

2. Remove Ads

EW3
    I hope your "experiment" was worth getting some hearing damage!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    When you're in a firefight, you don't really hear your weapon. After everything cools down, your ears will be ringing, but adrenaline and whatever else your body is pumping through your blood when TSHTF really dulls it out when it's happening.

Now you've got a good idea of why hearing protection is important. Even with good earplugs, lots of guns are still loud as hell.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Yup. Guns=loud. Be thankful it was an outdoor range.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member
    Yes, I have tried this as well. Just for the experience. Also, not something I want to repeat.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

My brother in law and I went to our usual indoor range and he tried out new hearing protection. He didn't realize how insufficient it was at the time.

His ears were ringing for a couple days.

Well years ago when I was young and stupid, we used to shoot for hours (skeet, shotguns, rifles, handguns) without hearing protection,. I can still hear,.. Ya, your ear's would ring for a while, but one or two shot's isn't going to kill ya,. Think about it, you go hunting and don't wear protection? You can shoot off a box of 12ga shooting birds and no-one walks around with protection on?? (and that is louder then a handgun IMO)

So with all that being said, I think it is a good idea to shoot off a few rounds now and then without protection so you know what it will be like if you have to use your personal defense tool on the spur of the momment.. (Hey BG, wait,.. I need to put on my ear protection so I can shoot you)

VIP Member
    Actually it doesn't bother me that much, of course that may be due to 20+ years in close proximity of jet engines. I do wear hearing protection when I shoot, just as I did when working on aircraft, but after prolonged exposure you will suffer some hearing loss. Just think what kids todays hearing will be like when they get older, after listening to music booming inside a closed up car.

Made that mistake once, and it gave me a flinch that took several hundred rounds to loose. In a crisis situation I have been told you will not notice the sound.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

As someone with a service-connected disability for tinitus in both ears, I advise you to make that one experiment the only time you ever shoot without hearing protection. It does not take much noise to damage your hearing permanently.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by gwhall57 View Post
    As someone with a service-connected disability for tinitus in both ears, I advise you to make that one experiment the only time you ever shoot without hearing protection. It does not take much noise to damage your hearing permanently.
    Amen to that. I am a former artilleryman with personal experience.

EdC...pretty cool experience, I'm sure...not my 'cup of tea'.

Have you ever thought about jumping from a moving vehicle, free-falling off of a cliff, dodging cars on the expressway (really gets the adrenaline going), or swimming in shark infested waters?

I have experienced gunfire up close without ear protection...we can all make mistakes, but not something I would do intentionally.

Stay armed...no experiments...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; July 2nd, 2009 at 04:40 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Protect your hearing. I am an older guy who did not use hearing protection of any kind until a few years back. Hunting, shooting as a kid, no protection, military, no protection, much time around rotary wing aircraft, no protection. Now I have tinnitus and moderate to severe hearing loss both ears. It is a real PIA not being able to hear and understand your grandchildren even with hearing aids.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    Well years ago when I was young and stupid, we used to shoot for hours (skeet, shotguns, rifles, handguns) without hearing protection,...
    Hear here! Never really occurred to us. Hearing protection was not stressed or perhaps even considered when I was young.

Of course that was so long ago we'd have had to use rocks for ear plugs.

These days I can't hear so well.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Amen to that. I am a former artilleryman with personal experience.
    I was a US Army13B10 during the '70s. I suffer from tinnitus in my left ear. As long as there is some kind of background noise around me, I hardly notice the constant buzzing sound. But sitting here at the computer in a quiet room, it can become quite annoying.

Occasionally, while shooting at the informal range I belong to, I'll forget to don hearing protection, which I always use, but I'm rudely reminded to do so by the first round I discharge.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links