Silly C&R Question

Silly C&R Question

This is a discussion on Silly C&R Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi guys, So, I sent in my Curio and Relics application about six or eight weeks ago, and a couple of days ago I got ...

Thread: Silly C&R Question

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Silly C&R Question

Hi guys,

So, I sent in my Curio and Relics application about six or eight weeks ago, and a couple of days ago I got a packet back from ATF. It has the C&R publication, a bunch of documentation, and a cover letter (form letter dated 1975, I think... ) addressed to Federal license holders.

But there is Not One Thing in the packet that looks like, well, a license, nor anything that seems to provide my a license number.

Can anyone tell me what gives? Do I have a license or don't I? What the heck am I supposed to do now...?

Thanks!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

That's just the info packet. Your actual license comes by itself in an envelope.

Yup it will come separate.

When you are approved the licensing center is notified of the approval and they print and mail the license when they get to it.

The distribution center mails out the C&R packet with federal, state, and C&R laws.

Give it about 3-4 more days with Independence Day slowing the mail down.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

It should come in an envelope by itself. Also DO NOT sign the original license, make copies and sign them.

Lead Moderator
    Yup! you got all the answers there.

The only odd thing is I got my actual C&R about 3 weeks before the big info packet. I also got a CD updating some of the paper stuff early this Spring.

Enjoy your C&R!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I'm in the process of filling out the application for my C&R FFL license. I'm very tempted to get that license. I know that there are a few firearms I would love to buy & add to my collection.

I welcome any suggestions on how to proceed before & after I submit the application.

Thanks again!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    I'm in the process of filling out the application for my C&R FFL license. I'm very tempted to get that license. I know that there are a few firearms I would love to buy & add to my collection.

I welcome any suggestions on how to proceed before & after I submit the application.

Thanks again!
    Keep a Bound Book (a book with all your firearm transactions) and follow the C&R laws, such as this license doesn't give you the right to buy firearms to resell like a dealer. I live in Texas and it is great to buy any C&R labeled firearm (also any firearm that is 50 years old is also considered a C&R) and have it shipped to my house and skip the FFL transfer fee. You can also mail signed copies to various dealers for discounts on products. Here are some dealers that offer discounts, beside the normal C&R firearms dealers

Midway USA
    Graf and Sons
    Brownells
    CDNN
    Numrich

You might look around for others, hope this helps some.

I'm still waiting on the application packet to arrive for my C&R. Frustrating.'
    b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

Thanks for the info, all. Gumaro, that pretty much covers why I applied for the license.

Another question---with a C&R, can I use the USPS to ship guns? (I am shipping a few of my pistols off for some gunsmithing, and not having to overnight them would be very nice, indeed...)
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Thanks for the info, all. Gumaro, that pretty much covers why I applied for the license.

Another question---with a C&R, can I use the USPS to ship guns? (I am shipping a few of my pistols off for some gunsmithing, and not having to overnight them would be very nice, indeed...)
    I believe you can only us USPS if you have 01 FFL license not the C&R license.

Funny - I post in this thread complaining about my C&R application form never arriving - and then the next day, there it was. I'll be sending it in this weekend.
    b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

Odd.... normally the License precedes the arrival of the packet. Most everyone I know got the license first but.. well... wait and see.

Well, needless to say, the license showed up the day after I posted this thread.

As for the USPS shipping thing, here's what I got. I was curious because I had three guns to ship off to Bruce Gray and was not looking forward to paying FedEx for that...

The searchable regulations on the USPS website produced little information about shipping firearms. They described shipping unrestricted long guns, but for handguns basically said ask ATF or your local postmaster.

So I called ATF. They said that they don't deal with postal regulations, so talk to the post office. I swung by the post office near work and the postmaster was working the counter. He knows nothing about the different types of FFL, so I basically told him that a C&R was a type of FFL that is not a standard dealer's license, and could I ship a handgun through USPS to an FFL-holding gunsmith for repair. He said I could; he also thought the gun was supposed to be disassembled or something for shipment, so I didn't put a lot of stock in his opinion.

What it came down to is this: the USPS requires submitting Form 1508 when shipping handguns, and that form is basically a sworn affidavit that the shipper is "a licensed manufacturer or a bona fide dealer". Looking at the C&R license, it explicitly states, "This license does not authorize the holder to engage in the business of dealing in any firearms."

For my money, that means I can't ship through USPS, so I coughed up far too much money to send the package by FedEx priority overnight. Ack... The good news is I will soon have a Bruce Gray P220 Stainless Elite SAO. Woo-hoo!

Sponsored Links