How to suggest to wife on learning how to shoot

This is a discussion on How to suggest to wife on learning how to shoot within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Around town we have had a lot of home invasions recently and i live on a dead end street next to the woods, not for ...

Thread: How to suggest to wife on learning how to shoot

How to suggest to wife on learning how to shoot

Around town we have had a lot of home invasions recently and i live on a dead end street next to the woods, not for much longer though. Recently i have had my truck broken into within the last month, late night window knocks, and people coming to the door throughout the day. Maybe i am a little paranoid not sure, but i am trying to suggest to my wife to learn how to shoot and she is like 95% percent against it any suggestions. I have a 2 yr old son and she is 6mos preggo with a baby girl.

2. Remove Ads

MOVE...quickly!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Doesn't sound like she is interested in learning how to shoot. Sounds like she's against it. If so, it's probably a waste of your time to try and convince her immediately. My guess is she will take a long time to be convinced.

I'd say moving soon is the best option.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Big mean trained rotty or dobie

Get a couple Rhodesians like retsup99 has. very Protective of the family and can kill lions and BG's
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    MOVE...quickly!
    This is the exact opposite of what you should do. It's frustrating, I know, but the harder you push, the less likely you are to convince her.

On your next attempt, approach it from the standpoint of safety. You've already got a child in the house. Regardless of whether she wants to use the gun or not, she has a responsibility to know how to safely handle a firearm which in turn means understanding how they work.

Also, don't couch this in terms of her blowing away bad guys. You want her to do this because you care for her and can't stand the thought of anyone hurting her or your family. Make it a matter of protecting her family. Emphasize that the likelihood of her needing to use it is very low, but it's just like a fire extinguisher. Knowing how to use it won't hurt anything.

If all else fails, have her watch the movie The Strangers. That movie did half the work of convincing my wife to get a gun. Scared the bejeezus out of her. :)

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Remember that if she is pregnant, she will not be exactly open to you bullying her. And if you make her, you may push her in the other direction. (Congrats on the new baby btw).

In the short term, I LOVE the idea of having a loud dog. Ours wouldn't hurt a flea, but a big dog is pretty effective as a security system.

When I married my wife she was 99% against. Eventually she got up the nerve to shoot, and now she LOVES my AR-15. She is a nasty shot with her .380 too.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Talk to here about her own safety, and that of the kids. You have guns available, I would suggest to her that she should at least know how to shoot them, just in case. You should tell her that she needs to know what to expect, so that she isn't thrown by recoil. I would love for my wife to get her CCW permit, but she just isn't interested. She has, however, gone to the range with me to learn how to use the handguns that will be available for her.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCConcealed View Post
    Around town we have had a lot of home invasions recently and i live on a dead end street next to the woods, not for much longer though. Recently i have had my truck broken into within the last month, late night window knocks, and people coming to the door throughout the day. Maybe i am a little paranoid not sure, but i am trying to suggest to my wife to learn how to shoot and she is like 95% percent against it any suggestions. I have a 2 yr old son and she is 6mos preggo with a baby girl.
    Speak to you wife and suggest that you both take up a recreational sport that you can both enjoy together. Give her some choices. Should it be golf, bowling, tennis, archery, or how about learning how to shoot? It can be target shooting or defensive.

Both you and your wife attend a beginner NRA certified course where your wife can be exposed revolvers and pistols.

My wife shoots often with me but does not like any double action/ single action revolvers. Trigger pull is often a problem with women.

Noise can be a problem so make sure you have good ear protection muffs.We both have amplified muffs. Expensive but worth it to keep your hearing.

I would suggest that you do not buy an inexpensive gun for you wife. buy what you might shoot.

I started my wife with a Walther P22. .22lr semi-auto. It is a 3/4 version of the P99. very nice in small hands and it is fun and inexpensive to shoot.

Now she shoots most of my compact SIG's but has trouble with sub compacts like my Walther PPS .40

Sometimes a full-size 5" Beretta .45 1911 is more comfortable to shoot than say a S&W .38 with a plastic frame.

Approach it with your wife as a sport that can save your life or hers. Have patience.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I'm not so sure if shooting while pregnant is a good idea. If it's a SD situation, sure, but...I'd worry about the noise being harmful. Maybe a .22 at an outdoor range or something wouldn't be so bad, but it's not like the baby has ear protection in there.

There's also the lead, but as long as you don't shoot wadcutters and you make sure you are in a well-ventilated range (or outdoors) that is probably not an issue.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by NCConcealed View Post

I tried w/ my wife for several yrs. When My Mom's purse was stolen, suddenly it became important. Now she is 100% on board w/ carry & personal defense.
    BTW - Mom had her gun on her when the purse was stolen.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

+1 on what GWRedDragon said!

Shooting whilst pregnant is not an option. (My sister is a Labor and Delivery RN).

Also, call your local police and ask to speak with someone about extra patrol in your neighborhood. Don't settle with the dispatcher either, Talk to a Sargent or Captain etc.
    Aim Small - Miss Small

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edthefox View Post
    +1 on what GWRedDragon said!

Shooting whilst pregnant is not an option. (My sister is a Labor and Delivery RN).

Also, call your local police and ask to speak with someone about extra patrol in your neighborhood. Don't settle with the dispatcher either, Talk to a Sargent or Captain etc.
    I don't know if you have noticed but very few if any police cars now say "serve and protect" somehow that is no longer their duty.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Links