Does anybody shoot a BPS?

This is a discussion on Does anybody shoot a BPS? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know why, but I have a hankering for a Browning BPS. I really don't know much about them, so does anybody here hunt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody shoot a BPS?

Administrator

I don't know why, but I have a hankering for a Browning BPS. I really don't know much about them, so does anybody here hunt or shoot clay with one? How is it?

I'm typically a semi auto kind of guy, but a BPS has got my attention. For some reason, I'm thinking a I need a BPS in 28 or 16ga.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My BPS is a 10 gauge and I've only shot clays with it a couple of times. It will definitely dust the birds. I'm a cross-dominant shooter (RH/LH shooter) so I appreciate the bottom ejection. I also really like the clean looking lines and the smooth receiver. It's not a fair comparison of my BPS to my 870 Wingmaster but if a 12 gauge BPS has the same build characteristics like my 10, it's a much more solid, well built gun than the Remington. If I was going to buy a pump, it would be the Browning.

I have 2 BPS 12 ga 3 1/2" and a BPS 10. They have funtioned flawlessly. They are in my opinion the best pump made today.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Lead Moderator
    I shoot a BPS 12 for ducks and upland game . It works flawlessly and points naturally for me. My brother also uses one .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    why not 12 or 20 ga, instead of 16 or 28 ga? Unless you're a reloader, there is a pretty big difference in availability and price of shells between them.

I've had mine for about 5 years now, works like a charm! I have never had a problem with it.

I'm a cross dominant shooter and was looking for a lefty shot gun (having empty shells and blow back thrown in your face is not fun) when I spotted the BPS. You can't beat the bottom ejection works great.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Great shotgun. You will enjoy it.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    why not 12 or 20 ga, instead of 16 or 28 ga? Unless you're a reloader, there is a pretty big difference in availability and price of shells between them.
    I know, I know.... I'm always preaching the same thing. I thought it would be fun to have something different. I havent been able to find one in those gauges anyway.

I did find a upland in 12ga that would be a really neat grouse gun. I think I'd rather have it in 20 though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have a synthetic engraved 12 and a wood stock 20. Both are heavy guns for their class.

However, I only like tang safety shotguns and these are the best for the price. I do not like the bottom loading but it is a trade off, for price / quality compared to other guns.

Try to borrow one first and see if it is for you.
    Proofread before you post!!! A reminder to me.

Also, I am 5' 11" and my 20 is the lady/youth model, cuts the weight a little and points perfectly.

For me the shorter barrel swing is great with the weight of this gun, and the shorter length makes it nice to carry in cover.
    Proofread before you post!!! A reminder to me.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccur View Post
    Also, I am 5' 11" and my 20 is the lady/youth model, cuts the weight a little and points perfectly.

For me the shorter barrel swing is great with the weight of this gun, and the shorter length makes it nice to carry in cover.
    Yeah, that was my main goal, get a compact light gun for grouse hunting.

My original idea was to get an 1187 youth model, but the LOP was just going to be to short and I don't want to mess with adding a stock, not knowing if it will be right or not. Nobody else that I know of makes an auto with a 24" or shorter barrel made for full size people.

Remington doesnt make a 870 shorter than a 26", then I found the BPS upland. I'm open to other suggestions as well. I prefer auto's or pumps.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sixto,

A 12ga BPS has been my primary waterfowl gun since the 1992 season.

I can give it the highest rating. In 17 years of hard waterfowl hunting it has never failed to fire.

The gun has not been babied in any way...it is strickly a tool for duck and goose hunting and the finish shows much field wear. The gun has opperated in temps as low as -8 degrees F and been used in North Texas dove fields at temps in excess of 100. It has been to the bottom of the Cimmaron River and in Texas Gulf coast rice fields where you can literally watch your shotgun rust during a morning goose hunt. I would purchase another without reservation.

My BPS has worked when my buddies 1187s and 1100 have been reduced to single shots due to extreme cold and being mud caked. The gun is almost as tough as my Chessapeake Bay Retriever, Chessie tested....Chessie approved.

Buy the PBS and don't look back.

BPs are Great & i see the 20ga Win manny a match at skeet & trap jusy my 2ct
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Sixto

I too had the wish for a 24" barreled gun, only I was looking for a SxS for dove hunts. There just aren't many 24 inch barrels out there.

As for the youth, or junior models, I have considered getting one and just putting a "boot type" limbsaver butt pad on to add 1/2 to 3/4 inch to the LOP. With other guns I've found the shorter LOP works better for me when "snap" shots are needed for the birds from nowhere.

And, another thing to consider would be the "turkey model" guns. Full size stock, with 22 inch barrel. I have a friend that's pretty handy with shotguns, and he can pop clays and doves with his 870 turkey gun as well as with his guns that are more suited for the task.

just a couple of suggestions

surv

oh, and I agree with your desire to have the sexy guage gun... I still have a lust for a high quality .410 SxS. Whew...try to feed that baby!

Administrator
    Hmm, hadnt really thought about turkey model guns. The main issue I see there is mag recievers (WEIGHT) and rifle sights.

The only reason I'm not already 100% sold on the BPS is weight and the fact its not an auto. Pump's are OK, but I really prefer auto's.

I'm a Beretta shotgun guy through and through, but they just don't offer what I want.

And you are right, nothing is classier on a bird hunt than a nice SxS in a small gauge. (OK, maybe a nice setter is ) Saves more meat, and says a lot about your skill. I just wish I was good enough to shoot a 410. I still need more lead in the air to even out my odds. LOL.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links