Hiding Guns from Kids - Good Idea or Bad?

This is a discussion on Hiding Guns from Kids - Good Idea or Bad? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think your approach is sound, what I have found with my three teens who started with guns around 8, is that the repeated warnings ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hiding Guns from Kids - Good Idea or Bad?

I think your approach is sound, what I have found with my three teens who started with guns around 8, is that the repeated warnings as with anything else really works, however at the ages your dealing with they should never be trusted ( I think you know that).

We as parents do not have to be open and honest with our lives, you can think of many things you would not be open and honest about.

Bottom line educate and keep secrets if you want, they should understand that no matter where they find a gun, wether they know it is there or not they need to leave it alone and come tell you where it is.

I recently bought my first two handguns, and to my knowledge my teens do not know where they are hidden and have not tried to find them. I have informed that if they were to find the guns that they will be loaded so do not mess around with them.

As far as showing them the power of the gun, set up a watermelon and shoot it with them around.

The biggest deterent to them when they were young was having them shoot guns that were to big for them. The kick scares the tar out of them and they will stay away. They will get over it when they are older.

Rick
    Proofread before you post!!! A reminder to me.

2. Remove Ads

I went out and looked at several of the Gun Vault style safes today. I think I'm going to try to buy one in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for posting the link to the web site. That is helpful.

The biggest deterent to them when they were young was having them shoot guns that were to big for them. The kick scares the tar out of them and they will stay away. They will get over it when they are older.
    I got a pretty good smile out of this thinking about all the possibilities.

Eddicate them young uns, but remember -

KEEP THEM SMOKEWAGONS LOCKED UP IN A SAFE!

No exceptions......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Skot,. Great topic,.. I do as I was raised,. I teach my kids about all aspects of guns, I shoot with them,. They watch me clean them.. (that must change soon, why do I have to do all the work) and they know that they must NEVER touch a gun unless it is handed to them by me.. All my guns are locked up except my daily carry, and that one never leaves my person,. But just in case some day I happen to be forgetful or brain dead and one get's left out of a while (hope that day never happens) or if they are at a friends house and one is laying around, my kids will respect that and not touch it,. If I was to make a big deal out of it all I feel they would want to because it is "forbidden"... Education is the key,... Locking them is too....

Great idea on the key issue that was posted above,.. I used to have a hiding place I left the key,.. Never had any problems, but one day I woke up and thought about that,. Kids are smart,... I'm sure mine wouldn't ever do anything about it, but I now carry daily that too...

Thanks for the topic. My daughter is 2 and I will be dealing with this soon. Since I am the first in my family to own a gun, I have no background in dealing with this. For the time being, I keep my loaded pistols out of her reach. Really out of her reach. When she's old enough, I'll teach her all about firearms and still keep them out of her reach.
    Keep the thread going, I want to learn more...
    JIm

Quote Originally Posted by Riccur View Post

Rick
    That's AWESOME!!!

Show them to the kids, talk about them, shoot with them. If you hide them their curiosity will make them want to play with them. If they experienced in firearms, kids young and old tend to think of firearms as tools that must be respected and handled safely.

It is hiding them and never talking to kids about them or shooting with kids that cause gun accidents.

My daughter is 8. From the time she could understand, I told her about my guns. She would sit with me and we would look at them, hold them, work the actions, and talk about them. She was told from the beginning where the guns are in the house, and that she is welcome to see them anytime she wants to WITH ME OR HER MOTHER PRESENT. She also knows that she will get a spanking if we catch her with a firearm unsupervised. Of course, she knows if she encounters a gun unexpectedly she should leave the area and tell an adult (thanks eddie the eagle!) Even at her young age, she knows about the different types of guns, and the very basics of how they work. She loves to shoot her pink little .22 rifle that she and I built together from a rusty old Steven's single shot.

Make your guns a family activity, not something dirty that must be hidden in the closet and never discussed.

I bought my daughter a M&P9c for christmas and a handgun safe to go with it,she has a 5 year old daughter who would probably never touch mommys gun but I ain't taking no chances,50.00 is cheap insurance to keep a firearm safe.I also told her about the NRA Eddie Eagle program to teach Emma gun safety,there is material online
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links