Shipping a rifle across state lines?

This is a discussion on Shipping a rifle across state lines? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm finally moving back to TX (getting stationed in Ft Worth). I've been stuck in kalifornistan these past 5 years, and have some rifles that ...

Thread: Shipping a rifle across state lines?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

Shipping a rifle across state lines?

I'm finally moving back to TX (getting stationed in Ft Worth). I've been stuck in kalifornistan these past 5 years, and have some rifles that are currently at my parents' house in WA since I can't have them in CA.

I know you can ship a rifle to yourself across state lines...but would it be legal to have my parents ship it from WA to my place in TX without going through an FFL?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Good question. Here is the applicable law:

Federal Firearms Laws

(a) It shall be unlawful:

(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides;except that this paragraph shall not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;
    Technically if they are yours I bet it would be legal, BUT I suspect the ATF would disagree. They seem to love the idea of going after people for stuff like this. I would recommend using a FFL.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    From that jargon it looks like I would need an FFL.

On the ATF website FAQ I just found this though:
    (B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
    So if I have my dad ship them to me, as long as he addresses them to himself at my address, I'm good.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I'm finally moving back to TX (getting stationed in Ft Worth). I've been stuck in kalifornistan these past 5 years, and have some rifles that are currently at my parents' house in WA since I can't have them in CA.

I know you can ship a rifle to yourself across state lines...but would it be legal to have my parents ship it from WA to my place in TX without going through an FFL?
    You own and have registered serial numbers for each rifle. They can be peacefully transported in locked cases. They can be shipped by air but must be first declared. Contact Fed-ex or another airline for specifics.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Links