Which one?

This is a discussion on Which one? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Which one? I have been given the go ahead to get a .22 pistol and the two that I am considering are the Browning Buck ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which one?

Which one?

Which one?

I have been given the go ahead to get a .22 pistol and the two that I am considering are the Browning Buck Mark and the Ruger 22/45.

They both are about the same price and have similar ergonomics. Both have a reputation of reliability. Both have their controls in the same, or similar, positions.

The Buck Mark is easier to disassemble and reassemble.

The Ruger is supposed to “feel” more like a 1911.

I will be using it for plinking and maybe some small game hunting.

Any opinions out there?

Thanks…

2. Remove Ads

Want some real fun and dual purpose?

Try this...
    Ruger New Model Super Single-Six®*Single Action*Revolver (KNR-5) Overview

A great plunker...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Personally I would go with the Browning. Either would be a fine choice. I just like the looks of the Browning better.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I went with a Buck Mark SS Camper and am very happy with it:
    Buck Mark Stainless Camper, pistol 22 rimfire auto loading, Browning Firearms Product

That being said, if a good deal pops up on a Ruger SS Hunter, I'll probably be tempted into one of them also. I love .22s.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    I went with a Buck Mark SS Camper and am very happy with it:
    Buck Mark Stainless Camper, pistol 22 rimfire auto loading, Browning Firearms Product

That being said, if a good deal pops up on a Ruger SS Hunter, I'll probably be tempted into one of them also. I love .22s.
    I have a MK11, but that Buck Mark sure does look perdy sweet.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I have a MK11, but that Buck Mark sure does look perdy sweet.
    Thanks. I waited a long time to find that particular one and finally scored a great deal (NIB) on GunBroker. It was going to get it or this Ruger whichever I found first:
    Ruger Mark III™*Rimfire Autoloading*Pistol (KMKIII512H) Overview

I still want the Ruger and have been keeping an eye out for one. There was one (6 7/8" barrel) NIB FS on the SIG forum a few months ago for around $400 (incredible deal) and it sold within 10 minutes of it being posted. I spotted it about 5 minutes afterwards and missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Thanks. I waited a long time to find that particular one and finally scored a great deal (NIB) on GunBroker. It was going to get it or this Ruger whichever I found first:
    Ruger Mark III™*Rimfire Autoloading*Pistol (KMKIII512H) Overview

I still want the Ruger and have been keeping an eye out for one. There was one (6 7/8" barrel) NIB FS on the SIG forum a few months ago for around $400 and it sold within 10 minutes of it being posted. I spotted it about 5 minutes afterwards and missed it.
    A choice you won't regret I'm sure. Good luck and maybe a range report sometime?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

If I wanted a .22LR that felt and handled like a 1911 I'd just get a conversion kit and be done with it.

If I was looking to purchase a .22LR I'd go with the Browning, but that's just me.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    If you want something that 'feels' like your carry gun, get a conversion kit. I love my conversion kit; it's perfect for both training and plinking.

Though, I still do like the idea of the 22/45. Aren't the MKII/MKIII more popular? If so there are probably more aftermarket options for them...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If I wanted a .22LR that felt and handled like a 1911 I'd just get a conversion kit and be done with it.

If I was looking to purchase a .22LR I'd go with the Browning, but that's just me.

Biker
    Biker,
    I am not really too concerned about having a .22 that “feels and handles” like the 1911, that is just an added plus.

As for a conversion kit… I have one for my CZ and am not overly pleased with it. I get a large number of misfires with it (sometimes as many as one or two per magazine). I really do not think it is the ammo since I experience no misfires with the 10/22 while using ammo from the same lot. I realize that most conversion kits work fine, but this has just left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I would rather get a dedicated pistol at this point.

I am leaning towards the Browning, but have not ruled out the Ruger just yet.

Thanks

My Mark II is a Chinese puzzle when it comes to disassembly and reassembly. It's a sweet shooter and darned accurate. Rugers have a heap of after-market add-ons as well for target shooting and suppression. Overall, some big pluses and minuses.

I know folks who love the buck mark. I reckon fit and finish a little nicer with the Browning. Either way, can't go wrong.
    Still Clingin'

I have 3 Buckmarks for sihoulette shooting, and they are outstanding. I have used one of them for over 25 years, and it is still going strong. Ruger does make a great .22, but the Buckmarks and Contenders are dominate in our area.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Administrator
    I prefer the Rugers because you can do a little more with them, but think that the Brownings are a little better off the shelf.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Both are well made and accurate. I personally prefer the Browning grip over the Ruger's.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    As for a conversion kit… I have one for my CZ and am not overly pleased with it. I get a large number of misfires with it (sometimes as many as one or two per magazine). I really do not think it is the ammo since I experience no misfires with the 10/22 while using ammo from the same lot. I realize that most conversion kits work fine, but this has just left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I would rather get a dedicated pistol at this point.
    Sounds to me like a poor quality kit.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links