Laws on CC --- Indian Reservations

This is a discussion on Laws on CC --- Indian Reservations within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Have no idea what the laws are pertaining to conceal carry, as we travel, etc. thru Indian Reservations. I'm planning on leaving in 6-7 days ...

Thread: Laws on CC --- Indian Reservations

Have no idea what the laws are pertaining to conceal carry, as we travel, etc. thru Indian Reservations. I'm planning on leaving in 6-7 days and it hit me, I will be in, next to, and then in/out the reservation in No. Carolina over several days. I think the Motel where I'm staying is actually on reservation land.

It made me wonder about others that I often go thru. Does it all fall to the State's laws on Conceal Carry ? Do any of the laws prohibit carrying in Indian Reservations ?? (esp No. Carolina).

Thanks... any info would be appreciated, or where I can find info on this .

I think you follow federal laws about carrying on Reservation land. You know, ammo separate from gun, both locked away from each other. Yada yada

Thats the way it is in AZ, some freeways cut through on their land
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Laws vary by tribe, so you would need to contact local law authorities on the reservation.
    Crime should be outlawed.

Don't confuse Federal with Reservation in the same sentence...they are two different entities.

Everything depends upon the tribe whose land you are on. You can still drive through without stopping and be just fine. Anything else, you 'roll the dice'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's been covered multiple times in past threads including one I'd recalled seeing just over a month ago.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...archid=2348212

or

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...archid=2348215

Indian reservations are foreign national land as ensconced within the United States.
    Treat them same as you would visiting a foreign nationals sovereign ground as within the US such as at an embassy or a US based airport depot specific to a nation (i.e. Germany has such at DIA in VA), or in making a border crossing in to CA or MX.
    Contact the nation directly for instructions and consultation toward their laws, regulations, and procedures on any and all things lawful.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    It's been covered multiple times in past threads including one I'd recalled seeing just over a month ago.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...archid=2348212

or

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...archid=2348215

Indian reservations are foreign national land as ensconced within the United States.
    Treat them same as you would visiting a foreign nationals sovereign ground as within the US such as at an embassy or a US based airport depot specific to a nation (i.e. Germany has such at DIA in VA).

- Janq
    Janq, neither of the links work. I clicked on both and they say "Sorry- no matches. Please try some different terms."
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

1943 - 2009
    Not in Montana.

Montana state law, including CCW laws, applies on Montana Indian reservations. County sheriffs and Montana Highway Patrol have concurrent jurisdiction with Tribal Law Enforcement.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I was told by an instructor that you can carry on reservations as long as you don't stop,. On the roads driving THRU your ok,. If you stop you better not be carrying,. ??? I know we was talking about Arizona??? If that isn't correct, I would like to know,.

Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    I was told by an instructor that you can carry on reservations as long as you don't stop,. On the roads driving THRU your ok,. If you stop you better not be carrying,. ??? I know we was talking about Arizona??? If that isn't correct, I would like to know,.
    Well, I travel in and thru Reservations in Oklahoma, New Mexico, Colorado and Arizona most often and in that order. However , this is pertaining to North Carolina... Cherokee Reservation. I'm doing much more than just driving thru most of the time.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...rvation-2.html is the only one I could find... but it lists no sources of info, where to find , etc.

Sec. 14-40.59. Assaulting by pointing gun.
    (a) It shall be unlawful to point any gun or
    pistol at any person, either in fun or otherwise,
    whether such gun or pistol be loaded or not
    loaded.

Wow... that's out of the Cherokee / No Carolina laws. It leaves no room nor definition of using a gun for self-defense in there that I can find.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I've always heard that reservations were considered "sovereign nations". I know when I was an LEO that we had to get permission just to enter the reservation. As far as weapons are concerned, I never heard of any problem transporting through the reservation and you could even hunt or shoot as long as you were accompanied by a member of the tribe. However as some have stated, the laws vary from state to state and tribe to tribe. Probably best to keep everything securely stowed.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Sponsored Links