Unclear NY State Law on Carrying Long Guns in Car - Page 2

Unclear NY State Law on Carrying Long Guns in Car

This is a discussion on Unclear NY State Law on Carrying Long Guns in Car within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by JonInNY That's a very detailed analysis, but I think it misses the point. I guess what I'm asking is if all our ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unclear NY State Law on Carrying Long Guns in Car

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    That's a very detailed analysis, but I think it misses the point. I guess what I'm asking is if all our range members are violating the law if they carry their unloaded rifle in the car, and some ammo in the range bag. I don't know if anyone around here that keeps both locked up separately to travel to the local range.

My (non-legal) opinion is that the law is an oxymoron. On one hand you can't carry a loaded long gun, but on the other hand you can't carry ammo either (at the same time, because the gun is then considrered "loaded")! Even if both were locked up separately, it still violates the law, as written.

Maybe we should go to the range, drop off the gun, go back home, pick up the ammo, and return. That would not violate the law, as written.
    I understand the confusion and it's why my answer has the qualification "I'm not a lawyer". That said I always transport my rifles unload in the trunk of my car with the ammo stored separately and based on my reading of state and federal law I'm legal.

In my opinion some of the confusion is the result of morphing various sections of criminal, penal and environmental law together AND a misunderstanding regarding the use of the word "firearm" as used in various sections of the law.

I think this is what has occurred in the OP. The 2nd section quoted is the description used to describe a loaded "firearm" but the firearm as defined in an earlier section of the same law is a pistol or short barrelled rifle or shotgun.

The UPS driver often has shotguns, rifles, pistols and ammunition on his truck and it is not in any type of locked container (cardboard doesn't count) so if the stupid statement in the penal code was to be extended to his situation he could be found to be in violation... Oxymoron from the minds of morons.

bosco

The UPS driver often has shotguns, rifles, pistols and ammunition on his truck and it is not in any type of locked container (cardboard doesn't count) so if the stupid statement in the penal code was to be extended to his situation he could be found to be in violation... Oxymoron from the minds of morons.
    This sort of thing happens here in Canada. You have to have the firearm with a locking device on the firearm and it must be in a lock box also. But if you buy a firearm online UPS will drop it off , no trigger lock in a cardbord box. This does not make any sense

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links