Buying a pistol in Texas?

This is a discussion on Buying a pistol in Texas? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone know the laws on an Arizona resident buying a pistol while they're visiting Texas? A friend of mine asked at an Academy Sports store ...

Thread: Buying a pistol in Texas?

Question Buying a pistol in Texas?

Anyone know the laws on an Arizona resident buying a pistol while they're visiting Texas? A friend of mine asked at an Academy Sports store and they told him Arizona residents are not legal to buy pistols in Texas. But then, this was the same Academy Sports store that told him you have to be 21 to buy an AR-15...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I undestand that federal law prohibits pistol purchase except in your state of residence. Long guns can be purchased out of state.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

1943 - 2009
    Correct, you can only purchase or acquire a handgun in your legal State of residence.

Arrange for the licensed dealer in Texas to ship the handgun to a licensed dealer in Arizona. You then take possession of the firearm from the Arizona dealer, after completing the 4473 and NICS check.

Of course, you will have to pay the Texas dealer for the gun, (he's not going to let it go for free,) but you can't take possession of the gun in Texas.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    That's correct. He can purchase a pistol in Texas, but it must be shipped to an FFL in his home state, for him to take delivery. Most chain stores won't do this type of transaction.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Yet another reason to support a local gun shop. Mine would take care of 'receiving' such a purchase in a 'heartbeat'.

Hope you can make the deal.

Stay armed...follow the rules...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

One exception being is if you are active duty military, you may purchase a pistol in your state home of record and another state if you are stationed in the other state on PCS orders.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    One exception being is if you are active duty military, you may purchase a pistol in your state home of record and another state if you are stationed in the other state on PCS orders.

That is generally NOT true. "Home of Record" state has NOTHING to do with firearms purchases. 27 CFR 478.11 defines state of residence. At least one of two conditions must be met for a state to be considered a state of residence. Either the military member must be PRESENT in a state with the INTENT to make a HOME in that state. OR the military member has permanent orders to a state.

HOWEVER, a military member who has a driver's license from a "home of record" state cannot legally purchase any firearm, other than a long gun from an FFL, in that state unless they are actually PRESENT in the state with the INTENT of making a HOME there.

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

State of residence. The State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is on active duty as a member of the Armed Forces, the individual's State of residence is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located.

A copy of your orders attached to the paperwork and you will be fine. I purchased several handguns in TX, while I was stationed there. I am an AZ resident, but I talked to the gun store owner and was told that if i provided a copy of my orders, I could buy there.

But everyone above is correct. You cannot buy it and take ownership of it in TX. Honestly though why does it mattter there are so many gun stores here in AZ, I'm sure your friend can find what he is looking for right here.

Thanks, guys. Good to know the facts.

Yes, I'm sure he can find what he is looking for in AZ. He was just interested in getting to play with it while he's in TX for an extended stay.

Thanks again,
    P8triot

Links