Taking a gun through Reagan National?

This is a discussion on Taking a gun through Reagan National? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am going to a class in Fredericksburg, VA and the office is routing me through DCA. Even though McClure-Volkmer would apply, I'm assuming that ...

Thread: Taking a gun through Reagan National?

Taking a gun through Reagan National?

I am going to a class in Fredericksburg, VA and the office is routing me through DCA. Even though McClure-Volkmer would apply, I'm assuming that walking up to the airline counter and saying, "I'd like to check this" wouldn't go over well.

Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance,
    Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    You are right !
    How long is your class ?
    Unless it is more than a few days, I would leave the gun home.
    A good hotel close to the class, not staying out late, your SA on dark yellow, you'll be OK, lots of people do it, very few get killed
    don't be one of those ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Taking Guns Thru Airports

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1. Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
    2. Steps that will make it easier to show that the weapon is unloaded - especially when x-rayed.
      • If the weapon is a
        • semi-automatic
          • lock the slide open
          • put a cable tie through the barrel and out the breach to show that the chamber is empty
        • revolver, flip the cylinder out
      • Do not put the magazines in this locked case with the gun(s)
        • it invites questions about them being loaded
        • if the gun case is "liberated" from the checked bag, the lack of magazines frustrates the thief, since the weapon is now initially a single shot one
    3. Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
      • Determine if the ammo MUST be in boxes (plastic reload boxes work) OR can fly in loaded magazines.
      • If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazines
      • The round(s) from the chamber(s)/cylinder(s) must be in a box, not loose
    4. Secure and protect magazines (separately from the weapon) and ammunition boxes from possible damage.
    5. Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in.
      • If possible, develop a way to attach in a lockable way the hard-sided case to the piece of luggage it has been placed into.
      • The labeling should be limited to:
        • Your Name
        • Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
        • Your personal email address - if you have one
        • NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
    6. Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.
    7. Have the rules for the airline in hand when you check this non-descript bag at the airport.
    8. Make sure you have the keys to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 49CFR 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case
      • to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in (a signed form/tag indicating that will go in with the weapon(s))
      • if the TSA wants to see
    9. Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft immediately to the:
      • airline
      • FAA Regional Office
      • ATF Regional Office

Other things to consider:

1. Check Handgunlaw.us and/or Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner to determine:
      • If you can possess the weapon at all your stops
      • Where and how you can carry at all your stops
      • What are the deadly force rules in each state you are visiting
    2. Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - http://www.anjrpc.org/DefendingYourR...s%20letter.pdf. This covers changing modes of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.

Virginia is an open carry without a permit state, and you can carry as soon as you reach the Metro station at the airport.
    Last edited by GHFLRLTD; July 8th, 2009 at 02:18 PM.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I found on my last airline trip that it was very easy to check a gun onto the aircraft. Just go on the website of the airline you are flying and look at their policies, and comply with them.

Seriously, it was no problem to check firearms. I took 6 of them to a convention in WA and the lady at the check-in counter barely batted an eye.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    Actually traveling through Reagan National should be no different that any other major airport. Reagan National is located in Arlington VA not in DC, so VA laws and TSA regulations apply there.

jfl
    This is true, as long as the flight is not diverted to another airport, which may be in an unfriendly state; BWI is a common alternate for Reagan, it is in Maryland

When I fly commercial, which I try to avoid, I take my Glock, as long as the flight remains in the South; if there is a remote chance we'll be diverted to NY, NJ, IL, MD, etc. the gun stays home.
    For me it is not worth the risk, but that just for me.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    I am going to a class in Fredericksburg, VA and the office is routing me through DCA. Even though McClure-Volkmer would apply, I'm assuming that walking up to the airline counter and saying, "I'd like to check this" wouldn't go over well.

Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance,
    Herk
    Why would you be walking up to the counter to re-check it in?, even if the airport was in DC, which it isn't?

Why wouldn't your bag(s) be checked from point-of-origin through to your final stop -- w/o you handling it(them) at way-points?

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    This is true, as long as the flight is not diverted to another airport, which may be in an unfriendly state; BWI is a common alternate for Reagan, it is in Maryland
    Maryland is OK on ownership, transport empty & in a locked case, etc.

It's just concealed carry that takes pull & $ to get approved.

Re: routed through x, y, z. The weapon is checked -- i.e., in the possession of the airline, not in your possession at that time.

However, once during a major storm I had a flight to Philadelphia rerouted to Dulles International and terminated w/ the suggestion/option to be bussed into DC and placed on an Amtrak train to Philadelphia. I declined.

Ditto, delays in connecting flights w/ an offer to a hotel. [Do they still do that?] Just, left the baggage checked. "Got everything I need here in my carry-on."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Thanks for the replies, guys. I am flying in and out of Reagan National, which I thought was in DC. I've flown with weapons before, so I'm familiar with that drill. I was just concerned about taking a gun through what I thought was DC.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Why would you be walking up to the counter to re-check it in?, even if the airport was in DC, which it isn't?

Why wouldn't your bag(s) be checked from point-of-origin through to your final stop -- w/o you handling it(them) at way-points?
    I am driving from Reagan National to Fredericksburg. When I leave to come back home, I fly out of Reagan National.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I am flying in and out of Reagan National, which I thought was in DC. I've flown with weapons before, so I'm familiar with that drill. I was just concerned about taking a gun through what I thought was DC.

I am driving from Reagan National to Fredericksburg. When I leave to come back home, I fly out of Reagan National.
    You shouldn't have a problem. Just surprised they didn't send you to the other airport Dulles since it usually provides more flexibility in schedules.

The only oddity about the two airports is that as I understand it, they are the only two FEDERALLY controlled commercial airports in the country. But there is no airport in DC!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Well, it's probably b/c I'm flying w/ United. I'm convinced the only reason United is still in business is because Uncle Sam buys tickets on their crappy airline. :)

I recommend that you insure your weapon when traveling. Theft is a real problem.
    "We have a decision to make; Either get busy living or get busy dying."

Links