Welded Barrel?

This is a discussion on Welded Barrel? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, but here it is. How do you tell if a barrel is two ...

Thread: Welded Barrel?

Welded Barrel?

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, but here it is. How do you tell if a barrel is two piece welded or not?? Also if it is a two piece, is it horizontal or a vertical split?

Thanks,
    Tony

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Not sure what you are referring to. I know old Damascus and iron barrels for shotguns were welded at one point , but have never heard of such a thing on any modern firearm.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I have heard of relining barrels in 22’s but they are drilled out and a rifled sleeve inserted and silver soldered in place.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Not sure what you are referring to. I know old Damascus and iron barrels for shotguns were welded at one point , but have never heard of such a thing on any modern firearm.
    I read a comment somewhere that the barrels on Springfield 1911's are welded two-piece deisgn and the barrel on a Colt 1911 is a one piece??? I was just curious as to being able to tell the difference...
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Realleycat View Post
    I read a comment somewhere that the barrels on Springfield 1911's are welded two-piece deisgn and the barrel on a Colt 1911 is a one piece??? I was just curious as to being able to tell the difference...
    Modern guns are most generally 1 piece, but its been awhile since I stripped a Springfield down. Basically, you will/may see a fine vertical line at the barrel hood. If the machining is good, you won't be able to tell, until you get the barrel hot, and it "sweats" a bead of oil at the seam.

For most folks, it will make no difference. If you shoot high volume, get a 1 piece...or a Glock.

This is what was posted on another forum. I was just curious as to how to tell the difference!!

"Springfield:
    Made in Brazil
    Most small parts are MIM
    Barrel is a two-piece welded unit
    Stainless models: many small parts are chome-plated carbon steel

Colt:
    Made in USA (using UAW labor)
    Sear and disconnector are MIM, all other parts are cast or barstock
    Barrel is one-piece forged unit
    Stainless models: most parts are stainless, with exception of the hammer, firing pin stop, extractor, and maybe one or two other parts that are nickel-plated steel.

You pretty much get what you paid for. The Colt is the better investment, the Springer is the better value. If you're going to keep it stock get the Colt. If you're going to throw away all the small parts anyway and go for a full-house build the SA will cost less as a base pistol."
    Tony

A whole bunch of manufacturers actually make barrels in two pieces; it an economic issue for some in that one material is used to make the chamber, or pressure assembly, and another to comprise the barrel. It is also easier for them to do this and then mate them together, most of them are in fact silver soldered where the chamber meets the throat of the barrel. With the advent of precision EDM and CNC machining, though not too many people make barrels that way anymore. Most of the people that still make barrels the old way are ones overseas using old U.S. tooling.

As far as the difference between a welded 2 piece versus a forged one piece, I say there is no difference; the first full house IPSC racegun I had back in 1991 had a custom Nowlin barrel in .38 super that was silver soldered together at the comp and the barrel hood; that gun saw at least 40,000 rounds go through it with no problems whatsoever. The load I used in that gun to make major was 13.2 grains of AA7 with a 115gr fmj, velocity was around 1590 so it was no mousegun load. The only reason I sold that gun was to get the new STI high cap 2011 gun that had just started hitting the circuit........
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I have a Springfield 1911. I would guess that the barrel is two-piece. I was just wondering about it. I haven't had any problems with it, so no big deal.
    Thanks for the comments!!
    Tony

Most Browning/FN Hi-Powers have 2 piece barrels. They have used them for years with no problems.

It absolutely doesn't matter if it's one piece or two. Millions of GI barrels were built in two pieces and I have never seen one come apart. If you want to upgrade your barrel buy a name brand match barrel and have it fitted by a pro.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Drail View Post
    It absolutely doesn't matter if it's one piece or two. Millions of GI barrels were built in two pieces and I have never seen one come apart. If you want to upgrade your barrel buy a name brand match barrel and have it fitted by a pro.
    Which weapons, you're speaking of the current Springer GI barrels and not original USGI barrels, correct?

Here's one that did come apart;

http://forum.m1911.org/showpost.php?...98&postcount=1
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Links