Study: Armed drivers more prone to road rage

This is a discussion on Study: Armed drivers more prone to road rage within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Snowshoes "Road rage may be most dangerous when an enraged motorist has immediate access to a lethal weapon, such as a gun." ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Study: Armed drivers more prone to road rage

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoes
    "Road rage may be most dangerous when an enraged motorist has immediate access to a lethal weapon, such as a gun."

Yeah... cuz the car moving along at 65 mph on the highway is not a lethal weapon...? I've seen far more people die in motor vehicle crashes then I have ever seen die due to a GSW!!!!

stupid people!

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    But nobody got shot???
    Just the finger?

that's not rage, it's control.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I just found that and thought I'd share

back in the late 1980s I was a bicycle courier in Atlanta..there was a driver who worked for a different company who carried a .357 magnum. He whipped it out in traffic in a "Road Rage" incident and got shot and killed by four gun dealers on their way to a gun show
    "You have enemies ? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life" Winston Churchill

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use" Galileo Galilei

BS!

I know for a fact that I am more tolerant of the idiot drivers when armed.

Same goes for all the other idiots I encounter on a daily basis.
    John Moses Browning and Eugene Stoner were the Albert Einstein's of the Gun Industry!

And of those 23% that had made "rude gestures" in the last year, 100% said "Yes" when asked if they had possesed hands in their cars in the past year as well.

So there ya go folks, I have scientifically proven that people who possess hands are much more prone to violence! So the sooner these --> are the safer us poor wittle will be....
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BushidoMarine
    And of those 23% that had made "rude gestures" in the last year, 100% said "Yes" when asked if they had possesed hands in their cars in the past year as well.

So there ya go folks, I have scientifically proven that people who possess hands are much more prone to violence! So the sooner these --> are the safer us poor wittle will be....

I like Bushido's evaluation of the data a lot better than a bunch of Harvard Idiots.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    The respondants had a gun in the car once in the last year. Hmmm. For what purpose? Not known, they admit they did not ask.

The repondants made a rude hand gesture at least once while driving in the last year? They followed to closely at least once. Was this while a gun was also in the car? No they admit they didn't ask that question.

Was the gun possessed legally? Not known, they didn't ask.

If printed on decent paper this study has one good use. TP.

-Scott-

I am speechless, lets do real study for a change. Like how many people good guys defend their homes and persons everyday.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoes
    February 5, 2006
    (SNIP)

"Despite these limitations, our findings indicate that the same type of individuals who cause most of the road deaths in the United States -- young males, particularly those who smoke, binge drink and have been arrested for non-traffic violations -- are most likely to engage in rude and hostile behaviors on the nation's roads," the authors said. "Road rage may be most dangerous when an enraged motorist has immediate access to a lethal weapon, such as a gun."

(SNIP)

....and what these brainiacs fail to realize that the vehicle itself makes road rage "most dangerous when an enraged motorist" decides to use it as a battering ram.....
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Not sure whether we had a discussion on this here or it was on THR but - I seriously doubt the veracity of this ''survey'' - and think Lott has a very valid point.

I can imagine a category of person who might have a gun in the car illegally and think they were Wyatt Earp - but the vast majority of legally possessing CCW folks are IMO more polite, not less.

Yes Bud - I think it is a crock - a large one with very hot contents!!
    Hey, Wyatt Earp is my friend. In fact he is my only friend. How about using Ike Clanton in the place of Wyatt, he is after all the real BG.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    What a bunch of bull!

VIP Member
    There would have to be a lot more questions and a lot more connections between the questions before there is any valid data. And I think we can all see that the reason they didn't do this in the first place is because we all know that data would point the other way, and they couldn't be making the point they are trying to make.

It's also usually interesting to note who paid for the survey to be taken (don't know here, do we?) and who wrote the questions.

You'd be hard pressed to find a survey with questions that don't cause you to lean the way they want you to lean; the funding company might be wasting their money on a survey that won't "prove" whichever point they are trying to make.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

What a retard, road rage had nothing to do with a gun owner,

You can say the same with people that have knives in their cars and have road rage, or an x-box and road rage, coffe and road rage, any item can be in the car and the person can do road rage or not, 2 totally seperate things!

I know for a fact that I am way less prone to road rage when armed. I make cool and calm decisions when armed because the other option is not acceptable. Here in Florida pulling a gun while doing a crime will get you 10 years. Road Rage is not worth the cost.
    Philip L. McCleary
    Security via CCW
    and a lot of practice
    Dispatchers have the best jobs
    we tell the police where to go and they have
    to do it. Policy manual says so.

de N4LNE

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    "Rude gestures" count as road rage?

Here I thought I was using sign language, communicating with my fellow man, all that jazz... j/k.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links