Study: Armed drivers more prone to road rage

Study: Armed drivers more prone to road rage

This is a discussion on Study: Armed drivers more prone to road rage within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; February 5, 2006 BY mailto:fmain@suntimes.com FRANK MAIN Crime Reporter Americans with guns in their cars are more likely to engage in "road rage" than unarmed ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Study: Armed drivers more prone to road rage

Exclamation Study: Armed drivers more prone to road rage

February 5, 2006
    BY mailto:fmain@suntimes.com FRANK MAIN Crime Reporter

Americans with guns in their cars are more likely to engage in "road rage" than unarmed drivers, according to a new study funded by the Chicago-based Joyce Foundation.

The Harvard School of Public Health surveyed more than 2,400 people who were asked if they carried a gun in their vehicle at least once in the last year.

About 23 percent of those who said "yes" admitted to making obscene gestures while driving -- compared with about 16 percent of those who claimed they never pack a weapon, the study said.

The survey also found 14 percent of those with firearms said they "aggressively followed" other motorists, vs. 8 percent of those without guns.

Tighter restrictions favored

The authors, David Hemenway, Mary Vriniotis and Matthew Miller, acknowledged their survey did not ask whether a gun was in the car at the time the road rage incident happened.

"Despite these limitations, our findings indicate that the same type of individuals who cause most of the road deaths in the United States -- young males, particularly those who smoke, binge drink and have been arrested for non-traffic violations -- are most likely to engage in rude and hostile behaviors on the nation's roads," the authors said. "Road rage may be most dangerous when an enraged motorist has immediate access to a lethal weapon, such as a gun."

Vriniotis told the journal New Scientist that "in the interests of injury and violence prevention, it probably makes more sense to tighten rather than relax restrictions on gun carrying in motor vehicles."

John Lott, a controversial former University of Chicago economist and author of More Guns, Less Crime, scoffed at the study on his Web site. Lott criticized the survey for not asking if the guns were in the cars legally or illegally.

"Permit holders tend to be extremely law-abiding," he said.
    "You have enemies ? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life" Winston Churchill

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use" Galileo Galilei

What a crock I think john lott has got it right

+5 for what Bud said...........
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

from what I read, they called up about 1000 people and asked them if they have had road rage in the year up to now. Then they asked them at the end if they ever carried a gun in their vehicle within that same year.

See where I'm going with this? They didn't ask if they were carrying when they had the road rage, or if they carried all the time, or if they were carrying legally, or what they were carrying (handgun/rifle/shotgun).

Another "spin" poll.

Wayne

Assistant Administrator
    Not sure whether we had a discussion on this here or it was on THR but - I seriously doubt the veracity of this ''survey'' - and think Lott has a very valid point.

I can imagine a category of person who might have a gun in the car illegally and think they were Wyatt Earp - but the vast majority of legally possessing CCW folks are IMO more polite, not less.

Yes Bud - I think it is a crock - a large one with very hot contents!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Heey - it's from Harvard. The bastion of .....ah........NEVER mind <Roseanna Roseanna Dana voice><Those psuedo-intellectual....Never mind>

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Senior Moderator
    I am suspious of ANY "gun" poll that comes from Chicago.

The authors, David Hemenway, Mary Vriniotis and Matthew Miller, acknowledged their survey did not ask whether a gun was in the car at the time the road rage incident happened.
    Of course they didnt ask. That would have skewed the results of the poll and wouldnt serve to push their anti-gun agenda.

"in the interests of injury and violence prevention, it probably makes more sense to tighten rather than relax restrictions on gun carrying in motor vehicles."
    Yeah right. That way when you do enounter roadrage from some punk they can just kill you nice and easy like.

I get so tired of reading about things that are authored by idiots.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I didn't even make it to the end of the post before I was asking the same question as Mr. John Lott. Not a fair survey. Rigged, if you will
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Lie's, Lie's, Lie's! I can't take this crap. This has to be the dirty work of the Brady bunch!

I am so laid back carrying it is unreal.

There is no such findings like this at all, in fact the complete opposet is the real truth.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Even if it was true it means nothing. A firearm does not cause any sort of behavior and never has.

VIP Member
    making obscene gestures while driving
    So that is the new definition of Road Rage? South Florida is suffering a wide-spread epidemic then. Hell, down here you can't drive unless you understand at least 5 cuss words in English, Spanish and Creole!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

1943 - 2009
    As I've said before on this forum, statistics can be manipulated to "prove" anything you want.

Who says John Lott is "controversial?"

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

what a bunch of crap
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    I call B.S. Anyone here ever cuss or cause road rage while carrying?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    I call B.S. Anyone here ever cuss or cause road rage while carrying?
    Nope! In fact if anything I am so laid back when driving while packing that I could care less about someone doing that and I sure don't do it back at them.

To tell you the truth I don't even remember an incident in a year or better where any "road rage" type stuff even happened to me. I have seen a few times where it has happened to others on the road though, one was so bad that the girl had to call the cops and they pulled this guy over.

Before CCW the sky was the limit though, I must have had 7 to 10 road rages a day at least! running people off the road, beating up old people for going to slow on the hwy, 45 mph is the minimum grandma not 44! beating all kids up that drive slammed Honda's just because, mooning people at will, man it was much more fun to drive before I carried!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links