Which part is the firearm? - Page 2

Which part is the firearm?

This is a discussion on Which part is the firearm? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks guys for your help...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which part is the firearm?

Thanks guys for your help
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

Well I just took apart the gun I am carrying today. The slide, the barrel, and the frame all have serial numbers on them. The spring assembly and the magazine are the only two parts that don't have serial numbers so I would be out of luck. As does it sounds you are with your XD.

If your not comfortable asking for permission to enter the residence with the firearm, I would make sure that it was secure in the automobile and just go from there. This is something everyone should consider for multiple reasons other than living in states that require notification when entering private residences. IMO, you should always have a plan for making sure your gun is secure in the event you need to disarm for whatever reason.

Enjoy your visit with your friend, and I for one am glad your thinking more of what the law is than what your rights are or should be.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Although multiple parts of a firearm are serialized, only the receiver is controlled. I would suggest keeping that with you. If you left the receiver behind and it was stolen, someone could build a gun by purchasing the slide and barrel without any documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Although multiple parts of a firearm are serialized, only the receiver is controlled. I would suggest keeping that with you. If you left the receiver behind and it was stolen, someone could build a gun by purchasing the slide and barrel without any documentation.
    +1. Still just the receiver that the Feds care about.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    If he carries the part of the gun that is "controled" doesn't that mean that he would still have to inform his friend that he was carrying a firearm? That kind of defeats the purpose of breaking the firearm apart in order not to have to notify when going into the home.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    If he carries the part of the gun that is "controled" doesn't that mean that he would still have to inform his friend that he was carrying a firearm? That kind of defeats the purpose of breaking the firearm apart in order not to have to notify when going into the home.
    The receiver might be controlled, but by itself it's a non-functioning piece. There's no barrel, no slide, no bullets, nothing to fire. Therefore it's just a piece of plastic (or metal).

At that point it is just an inert piece of steel (or plastic). Unless they are completely hoplophobic, it is no different then having a rock in your pocket.

Why not just purchase a quality car gun-safe and lock it up? No messing around with the gun and quick access to it when you get back to the car. Not much cost involved and much safer than what has been described so far.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by MiloSC View Post
    As to the reason I am considering this, In SC you are legaly supposed to obtain permission before carrying a gun into a private residence. By leaving the frame in the glove compartment I have not left a complete working firearm, and thus if it were stolen, the thief would only have a polymer frame, no slide, barrel, or magazine. I really don't like the idea, but I haven't come up with a better option yet.
    Why don't you get a Center Of Mass In-Car Gun Safe? In Car Gun Safe That way, your gun is secured, and you are not carrying around pieces of a non-functioning weapon ...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

The firearm is the frame or receiver which must have the serial number. Only exception I know is the SIG P 250 the firearm or controlled part for it is the fire control group.

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone55 View Post
    Then willingly submit more of your constitutional freedom.
    The Constitution does not protect you from me in my house.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by dhbry232 View Post
    Why not just purchase a quality car gun-safe and lock it up? No messing around with the gun and quick access to it when you get back to the car. Not much cost involved and much safer than what has been described so far.
    True, probably the best option. But the OP was asking about leaving an unassembled weapon behind.

VIP Member
    If the gun is easy to disassemble and reassemble, take the guide rod and recoil spring, maybe the magazine, with you in a pocket. That way if the gun is stolen it can't be immediately used for a crime. And in some makes and models, these parts are not quickly replaceable.

I do this (remove guide rods and guide rod spring) as I find it more convenient than fooling with locks or safes. Yes the gun can still be stolen, but it will not be
    in working condition.

From US Code Title 18

(3) The term “firearm” means
    (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
    (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
    (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
    (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Well, my solution was basically to leave the gun secured in the car. The car I took wasn't mine, because my jeep gets like 15 mpg. I really just need to break down and buy a COM safe. I was able to park my car right outside of the apartment so I could keep a pretty close eye on it. A little more planning in the future for me would be a good idea, but It worked pretty well for me this weekend.
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links