Which part is the firearm?

This is a discussion on Which part is the firearm? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In SC you must obtain permission before carrying into a private residence. I will be traveling to see one of my friends on the other ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which part is the firearm?

In SC you must obtain permission before carrying into a private residence. I will be traveling to see one of my friends on the other side of the state today and really do not wish to get into the whole "Can I bring a gun into your house?" bit. I am considering leaving my weapon in the glove compartment of the car, but I would prefer to leave it unassembled, this way I can take part of the gun with me and leave the other part in the glove compartment. My question is which part of the pistol is actually the "firearm." I have an XD and the slide, the frame, and the barrel all have the serial number stamped on them. Could I just strip the slide off and leave that in the glove compartment and take the frame in with me or visa versa?
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

Concealed is concealed.
    Last edited by QKShooter; July 10th, 2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone55 View Post
    Concealed is concealed.
    Well it may be, but I'm also interested in the law.
    Last edited by QKShooter; July 10th, 2009 at 01:08 PM. Reason: sp the quote

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

Then willingly submit more of your constitutional freedom.

EW3
    I'm pretty sure the frame "is" the gun.

Why would you do what you are proposing?
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I have two friends that, based on their wives request, I do not carry into their homes.
    Anyway, the receiver is legally the gun. If you want to take a piece of it with you, that is the hardest part to replace. Leave the barrel and slide, take the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone55 View Post
    Then willingly submit more of your constitutional freedom.
    If its private property, then I would actually be treading on somebody else's constitutional freedoms as well wouldn't I?

As to the reason I am considering this, In SC you are legaly supposed to obtain permission before carrying a gun into a private residence. By leaving the frame in the glove compartment I have not left a complete working firearm, and thus if it were stolen, the thief would only have a polymer frame, no slide, barrel, or magazine. I really don't like the idea, but I haven't come up with a better option yet. I was just kind of throwing it out there to find out what my options were as far as that plan was concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by MiloSC View Post
    If its private property, then I would actually be treading on somebody else's constitutional freedoms as well wouldn't I?
    Oh what a slippery slope this statement entails.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; July 10th, 2009 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.

Administrator
    OK - Please keep it on topic.
    I did one post sp correction in this members thread and an additional three off topic post deletions.

Have some respect for the OP and keep the comments on topic to his original thread post.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MiloSC View Post
    In SC you must obtain permission before carrying into a private residence. I will be traveling to see one of my friends on the other side of the state today and really do not wish to get into the whole "Can I bring a gun into your house?" bit. I am considering leaving my weapon in the glove compartment of the car, but I would prefer to leave it unassembled, this way I can take part of the gun with me and leave the other part in the glove compartment. My question is which part of the pistol is actually the "firearm." I have an XD and the slide, the frame, and the barrel all have the serial number stamped on them. Could I just strip the slide off and leave that in the glove compartment and take the frame in with me or visa versa?
    I am going to assume that you are doing this as to make the firearm unusable in case of theft from the glove compartment?

In that case, I would strip off the barrel and put it in my pocket. It's the easiest to carry. The serialized receiver is considered the "firearm", that is why you must have an FFL to legally ship a frame. All other parts can be sent directly anywhere without it.

Going in to his house, you would just have a gun barrel and not a gun and the gun would be useless without the barrel.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    I have two friends that, based on their wives request, I do not carry into their homes.
    Anyway, the receiver is legally the gun. If you want to take a piece of it with you, that is the hardest part to replace. Leave the barrel and slide, take the frame.
    I agree, I'd take the portion that has the SN on it. Barrels are easy enough to replace and a slide as well.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

The polymer frame is the"GUN" I have stripped my gun before at a hospital and taken the slide/barrel and magazine with me,since I did not have a gun I was legally ok as I walked past the legal no firearms sign
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The serialized part is the gun per Federal regs., be that the upper or the receiver/frame.

Non-serialized parts can be sent to anyone in the mail without any regulation nor affect by law.
    Serialized parts though require an FFL and cannot be shipped via USPS.
    Answering the which part is the gun question can be done by looking for a serial number.

As to carrying into other peoples homes, even as it is legal to do so in my current state without request of approval I personally do not do so in general by choice. Notable exceptions though have occurred.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

In the case of my XD the barrel, the frame, and the slide are all serialized. Are all of these parts collectively the "gun," or does this apply to each part separately as well?

In many states it's not considered to be carry if you're not carrying a working gun. For example in Oregon you can carry an unloaded gun and you're not under the carry laws at all. Just can't also possess a loaded magazine, or else it counts as loaded. (Strange, eh?)

If you strip the gun, then even if you do carry the frame it's probably not considered to be carrying a gun. (Check your state laws, of course)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links