Facebook Poll (Merged)

This is a discussion on Facebook Poll (Merged) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey the 2A is alive and well on FB. I took a poll about supporting a nationwide gun ban. Here are the results. would you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Facebook Poll (Merged)

  1. #1
    Member Array UnklFungus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    441

    Facebook Poll (Merged)

    Hey the 2A is alive and well on FB. I took a poll about supporting a nationwide gun ban. Here are the results.

    would you support a nationwide handgun ban?
    yes

    2,544 (6.4%)


    or


    no

    36,955 (92.8%)



    not sure

    305 (0.8%)
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

    Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The western edge of The Confederacy
    Posts
    2,198
    I wonder how many of the "No's" voted for Obama? The vast majority don't support a ban, but get stupid in the voting booth.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array miklcolt45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    @ Wits' End
    Posts
    2,802
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I wonder how many of the "No's" voted for Obama? The vast majority don't support a ban, but get stupid in the voting booth.
    I hear ya slim.
    But, I disagree. There's a lot of stupid out there.
    It is just quantifiable when it leaks out in voting booths.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array Paco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    McKinney, TX
    Posts
    3,499
    I participated in the same poll, even had a quick little education session for one guy who is against a gun ban, but for a ban on handguns.

    ME:
    Why not hand guns. That is the best way to defend yourself when you are out and about, you can't conceal a rifle. Bad guys will continue to have hand guns, even if somehow we were able to round up and destroy every hand gun; they would still find and use them.

    HIM:
    ,"even if somehow we were able to round up and destroy every hand gun; they would still find and use them."

    If handguns weren't being manufactured, where would the bad guys manage to get them? Steal them fom the police or the millitary?

    ME:
    Right, if they have never meed made. The fact is they have been manufactured for over a hundred years, and in other countries.

    They can/will find them, I can/will defend myself and my family, if need be, with the tools I have at my disposal.

    HIM:
    ...and that is why the murder rate in the US is TEN TIMES what it is in Canada....never mind the accidental handgun deaths....

    ME:
    Find me the numbers of how many law abiding citizens used a handgun to murder someone, it will be extremely low. And along those lines explain the murder rates in Europe and the UK. The UK just got classified as one of the most dangerous countries in the World (more specifically London).

    I never heard back from him after my last response
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

    -Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

  6. #5
    Senior Member Array press1280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    750
    Even if you were theoretically able to confiscate every gun, it doesn't mean criminals would stop doing what they're doing. ANYTHING can be a weapon. That's the reason hot break ins(where someone is home) is far higher in other countries than the US. The criminals don't need to worry about getting shot. Just pick a home occupied by weaker individuals(elderly and females) and you have control.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

  7. #6
    Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Champaign, Illinois
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I wonder how many of the "No's" voted for Obama? The vast majority don't support a ban, but get stupid in the voting booth.
    I would guess quite a few. Not everyone has the luxury of being a one issue voter.

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The western edge of The Confederacy
    Posts
    2,198

    One issue voter.........

    Quote Originally Posted by ElMonoDelMar View Post
    I would guess quite a few. Not everyone has the luxury of being a one issue voter.


    Actually where a candidate stands on the second amendment is an indication of where he/she will stand on other issues. Obama, in spite of all his rhetoric, has proven to be nothing but another Fidel Castro minus the fatigues. He doesn't have America's interests at heart and is finding that governing the country entails more than making good speeches. He grovels at the feet of our enemies and constantly berates everything great about our nation. Change and hope is an economic and political disaster.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,004
    Quote Originally Posted by ElMonoDelMar View Post
    I would guess quite a few. Not everyone has the luxury of being a one issue voter.
    Very few ... almost certainly.

    The mere fact we all discuss the one issue, here at DC, hardly means folks don't consider the broader issues. And the mere fact one has a given litmus test doesn't mean other tests and consideration are not also done.

    But it comes to this. As has been suggested, the degree to which I'm basically mistrusted by other citizens elected to work on my behalf is most starkly reflected by one's position on the 2A. Someone had better be golden in most other respects, if one is going to mistrust my motives as an upstanding citizen to the degree that I'd be forcibly denied the ability to defend myself and my family against crime.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Array Divebum47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    763
    .and that is why the murder rate in the US is TEN TIMES what it is in Canada....never mind the accidental handgun deaths...
    The fact we have 10 times the population wouldn't enter into the facts, now would it?

    YOU have valid arguments - he has bs from the brady bunch. I figure never argue with an idiot. People observing have trouble telling the difference sometimes.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    The fact we have 10 times the population wouldn't enter into the facts, now would it?
    If speaking of the number of crimes, population is the driver.

    If speaking of the rate of crimes, which is a measure of the probability, the driver is the number of crimes per number of people.

    Depends on whether it's counts or rates, then.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  12. #11
    Member Array CharlieP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    150

    Lies, damned lies, and statistics ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    The fact we have 10 times the population wouldn't enter into the facts, now would it?
    If the numbers at issue are murder RATES, i.e. murders per 100,000 citizens, then the population difference is reflected in the rates. But a quick search indicates the difference is more like 3 to 1 than 10 to 1, and the rate of violent crime in Canada overall may be higher than the US.

    But to try to link raw statistics like this to gun control is absurd, one way or the other. I commonly see such stats used to support both sides of the argument - that should tell you something. There will likely be other factors which have a much higher impact on the murder rate, independent of gun laws or gun ownership. I would speculate that factors such as median age, gang activity, economic status, and drug use have a LOT more to do with the murder rate.

    But arguing with a liberal by submitting facts is a waste of time - they do not rationally think - they BELIEVE.

  13. #12
    Senior Member Array lance22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,032
    Facebook is full of people who have a few years under their belt. I think the strong show of support for the 2A is somewhat indicative of the older audience.

    If the same poll were on some teeny bopper social site, it might be more 50-50.

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array goldshellback's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    OKC; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Posts
    4,750

    A facebook poll results

    A cop buddy of mine sent meone of those silly polls on facebook, then I read the question. I voted, but even the results are a little more one sided than I expected...........


    would you support a nationwide handgun ban?
    yes
    6,302 (6.4%)

    no
    91,953 (92.8%)

    not sure
    828 (0.8%)
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

    (Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

  15. #14
    Senior Member Array BamaSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    669
    wow...that's good. Gives me some hope!!!
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

  16. #15
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    44,509
    The results of this poll are probably the reason so many Dem's are relutcant to join the true anti's...good thing.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Facebook poll
    By ExactlyMyPoint in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: October 15th, 2009, 09:25 PM
  2. Another telling Facebook poll!!!
    By UnklFungus in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 22nd, 2009, 09:02 PM
  3. Interesting poll on facebook
    By Kaymen in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 12th, 2009, 04:31 PM
  4. New CNN poll (Merged x2)
    By Reborn in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: March 13th, 2009, 12:21 PM
  5. Facebook Poll
    By SixBravo in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: November 30th, 2007, 02:22 AM