Did the unthinkable today

This is a discussion on Did the unthinkable today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well as some of you may be aware I lost my job is September. Was out of work until mid April when I was able ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did the unthinkable today

VIP Member

Did the unthinkable today

Well as some of you may be aware I lost my job is September. Was out of work until mid April when I was able to find a job paying minimum wage and between 30-35 hours a week. Needless to say money has become quite tight. So to make ends meet I sold my Sig 1911 RCS today. Took it to the Richmond gun show. Had a few lookers who as soon as they heard the price weren't interested in it. While the money will come in handy, I was not desperate to sale it. Was not about to "give it away". I had a bottom line in my head, and a asking price for it. Had a guy spend some time looking at it, then left, about 10 minutes later he came back to look again. Bottom line is he offered me my lowest acceptable price and I countered him, he accepted the counter. I ask for proof of VA residence and he showed my his drivers license and VA CC permit. We both walked away with what we wanted. I had gotten a good deal on the gun when I bought it, and actually made a few bucks on the gun.

2. Remove Ads

cmb

condolences

sorry to hear about your loss, I am sure it was painful...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    sorry to hear about your loss, I am sure it was painful...
    +1....hope times get better for you so you can get another

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, but glad you got more than your minimum.

I think, as the economy worsens, we will see more and more of this. It won't be long until there are some nice AR's and AK's out there being offered at "rock bottom prices" IMO. Heck, for what a LEO pays for a NIB Colt 6920 a non-LEO can get one for $150 bucks more and a lot less hassle.

Now that the "feeding frenzy" is over I think some people are regretting spending money for some decent guns. I look for it to be a "buyer's market" in the near future.

Biker

VIP Member
    I have a long shot suggestion that you should post what you do and what you want to do here. You just never know. Someone reading might be hiring. Someone might know someone who knows someone. Others may have worthwhile suggestions for doing the job search.

Good luck.

I have a suggestion as well...TO THE MODS...Since this economy is what it is, is it possible to create a "misc, economic woes, or job seeking" forum for members on here. Just a thought..
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Condolences on your loss.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I know how you feel. I'm down to one low value carry piece for me, and a snubby with sentimental value for the wife. Everything else is gone.

When times are better we'll have to meet up for a gun show and rebuild our arsenals!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Sorry to hear that archer. I've been there too in the past and you have to do what's needed to survive. At least you made some money on the gun and it's not one that's irreplaceable. Hang tough as things will surely get better.

Administrator
    We do what we must do to get by for the present.
    You will have a chance to buy some spanky new model SIG in the future.

Distinguished Member
    I had a friend of mine call me a few weeks ago and ask if I wanted to buy his G19. He had been out of work sense February, luckily he got a job the next week, so he changed his mind about selling it.
    My son graduated May 2008 with a Master's Degree and he still hasn't found full time work.

I feel for anyone looking for a job right now, it's tough out there.

Been there; done that before.

Job market sucks, we moved for the wife's career then I couldn't find a job in my field (telecommunications), that is why my @ is in Ramadi Iraq.

The hours stink, the local sucks, accommodations leave a lot to be desired, there is nothing to do in your off hours but there are job openings and the $$$$$$ can't be beat. Most jobs are paying (with bonuses) north of $100,000 with the first $92,xxx being income tax exempt. And you are truly "supporting the troops".

Now if you don't like the heat my company is in the running for a new contract in a slightly cooler local....................Antarctica

There is need for skilled people in about every field, generator mechanics, heavy equipment operators/mechanics, plumbers, electricians, carpenters……..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Been there; done that before.

Job market sucks, we moved for the wife's career then I couldn't find a job in my field (telecommunications), that is why my @ is in Ramadi Iraq.

The hours stink, the local sucks, accommodations leave a lot to be desired, there is nothing to do in your off hours but there are job openings and the $$$$$$ can't be beat. Most jobs are paying (with bonuses) north of $100,000 with the first $92,xxx being income tax exempt. And you are truly "supporting the troops".

Now if you don't like the heat my company is in the running for a new contract in a slightly cooler local....................Antarctica

There is need for skilled people in about every field, generator mechanics, heavy equipment operators/mechanics, plumbers, electricians, carpenters……..
    Telecommunications work is what I was doing before I lost my job. Voice/data/fiber optics installation. Right now businesses just aren't spending the money on new construction and upgrading systems unless absolutely necessary, or they're a government contractor.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. There are some construction jobs going on in the Kansas City area, one of them being a Schlitterbahn water park. A $750 million dollar project! I sincerely wish you the best of luck Archer51!
    God bless our troops!

archer51-

I know for a fact my company is looking for installers, mostly involved with the buildup in Afghanistan, there are openings posted on the company web site.

If you are interested PM me, I will tell the recruiter I worked with to look for your name, if interested wait till I send your name to her so she will be looking for you.

Web site is ITT Corporation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links