Taurus Model 66?

This is a discussion on Taurus Model 66? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok I need some info. The neighbor of mine that I recently helped through purchasing his first gun, a Ruger SR9, now thinks that he ...

Thread: Taurus Model 66?

Taurus Model 66?

Ok I need some info. The neighbor of mine that I recently helped through purchasing his first gun, a Ruger SR9, now thinks that he wants a revolver.

At first he was looking at a small snub nose 38 sp, but then got to thinking about moving up to a .357. He says he will not want to ever get his CHL so this gun will only be used on the range or heaven forbid in the home.

My comment is that if your not going to be getting your CHL then you really don't need a snub nose 38 spl, you need to look at the .357. Because the snubbies are not much fun for a day at the range. That was the extent of my comment on the caliber issue. Ammo is not an issue because I will reload or let him help reload on my equipment for either caliber.

If I was telling him what .357 gun to purchase it would be a GP100, but I am not going to do that. I will let him shoot mine next time we go out. But he doesn't have a lot of money to spend on this revolver he thinks he wants so he is looking at the Model 66 Taurus for a little over $300 bucks.

So, who has any experience with this revolver? What is good about it, what is bad about it, and is there any reason for him not to spend the $ on this particular gun he thinks he wants.

Note, I carry two Taurus semi autos, so I am not opposed to the brand, but don't know much about those revolvers.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I have a Taurus 606 ( 6 shot 357 snub) that isn't made anymore. Very nice pistol and I think it is a good value also. I'd have no problem trusting it to go bang every time I pull the trigger. It did develop an indexing problem (cylinder didn't align perfectly with the bore) but I sent it off to Taurus and they returned it fixed and polished free of charge. They are relatively heavy which makes holding on to them easier with 357 mags in it. Mine also came with a factory ported barrel which is a plus on this small of a 357 mag IMHO.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Links