Something for Myth Busters

This is a discussion on Something for Myth Busters within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As I daily carry and I was outside during a thunderstorm, looking for my neighbor's dog, I came up with a curiosity. Would a lightning ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something for Myth Busters

Something for Myth Busters

As I daily carry and I was outside during a thunderstorm, looking for my neighbor's dog, I came up with a curiosity. Would a lightning strike cause my firearm to discharge?

I know that if I got struck by lightning I would have more to worry about than if my gun went off, but I wouldn't like to get hit by lightning and possibly a 45 in the foot!!!

I have a Taurus PT145 and I carry with the 10+1 so I was wondering. Would the electricity travel through the metal and carry down into the magazine and light off all eleven rounds? That would leave a mark!!!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

Note to self -- Don't use SmartCarry during a thunderstorm.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Lightning can and will do strange things. Some things science cannot explain. I figure it would need to be a direct hit on the firearm instead of you in order to set off the ammo. Of course a bolt of lightning generates tremendous heat, but for a short duration. Since your pistol would not be in the path to ground while you are erect and vertical...not likely. Now..if you were to be standing and leaning your strong side up against a steel structure, it might be in the path. I'm sure a test could be done. Just tie your pistol with a string to one of those lightning seeking rockets and launch it. LOL!

Hmm... the most musing question I've heard today. My guess would be no, but I really have no idea.
    Give us this day our daily lead...

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Post it on the Mythbusters site, I bet they will test it. They like going to the place with the giant lightning generator.

http://community.discovery.com/eve/f...m/f/2991937776
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Note to self -- Don't use SmartCarry during a thunderstorm.

Hoss
    I had to look up smartcarry, but wow, I can see how that would be bad!!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Post it on the Mythbusters site, I bet they will test it. They like going to the place with the giant lightning generator.

Forums - Powered by Eve For Enterprise
    Although they might not be allowed to test something that has the potential to explode or at least discharge a few rounds.

This is a good question though that I've never thought about. But I think if I'm ever hit by lightning, having my gun discharge might be the least of my worries.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Probably not. The slide and barrel are all metal, i.e. conductive. The discharge path of the lightening would be around the bullet as if the bullet was surrounded by a protective cage. Which in this case it is. It's known as a Faraday shield, very much like the protective bags that sensitive electronic devices come in.

In a lightening strike the last thing you should worry about would be an accidental discharge, of your firearm that is.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    In a lightening strike the last thing you should worry about would be an accidental discharge, of your firearm that is.
    I may have an accidental discharge of the smelly kind...

Patrick Henry

Highly doubtful as the lightening would travel through the shortest distance to the ground (your body, exiting your feet) A gun on your hip probably would not even get warm.

But, as others have said lightening is strange and unpredictable...too many variables to be certain of anything.

Highly conductive, so the gun won't get too warm... but it might leave a "print" on your skin where the current enters and exits.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Makes me less inclined to hope for a civilian, pistol-configuration MetalStorm... (Multi-shot, electrical ignition...)
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

If you were to be struck by lightning I don't think your gun would be your main problem.

You stand a better chance of getting shot in a public bathroom stall
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You stand a better chance of getting shot in a public bathroom stall
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links