Do you use a Hotel Room Safe when attending an event that does not allow CCW?

This is a discussion on Do you use a Hotel Room Safe when attending an event that does not allow CCW? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My family and I recently stayed at a Hotel with a Family/Children Theme Park attraction right next door. The Theme Park does not allow CCW ...

View Poll Results: Do you use a Hotel Room Safe if attending a Theme Park event that does not allow CCW?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I use the Hotel "in Room Safe."

27 47.37%
  • Yes, but I put my weapon in my own lock box, then place in the Room Safe.

8 14.04%
  • No, I use the official Hotel Safe and the Manager signs the weapon in.

4 7.02%
  • No, I would rather secure the weapon in my vehicle.

14 24.56%
  • No, Other. (Please elaborate.)

4 7.02%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you use a Hotel Room Safe when attending an event that does not allow CCW?

Do you use a Hotel Room Safe when attending an event that does not allow CCW?

My family and I recently stayed at a Hotel with a Family/Children Theme Park attraction right next door.

The Theme Park does not allow CCW and I did not have to drive from the Hotel to the Theme Park. The Hotel had its own Park Entrance within walking distance.

I came across the decision of where to leave my Firearm, so I decided to post this to see what others would do.

2. Remove Ads

I carry the weapon to where im going. Ill lock it up before going in.

Every maid has access to that safe in your room and a key to your door. Who do you think changes the code when you check out?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Every maid has access to that safe in your room and a key to your door. Who do you think changes the code when you check out?
    Not true.

The housekeepers do not have the "codes" to in-room safes. They can't access the safe when a guest is registered in the room. Only the guest can do that. In fact, there are no "codes" for in-room safes. The registered guest sets his/her own combination on the keypad.

Even the General Manager and Chief Engineer can't open an in-room safe that the registered guest has entered a combination into. If for some reason they have to open it, they have to call in a locksmith to drill it.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

And how do they reset it for the next guest?

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    The ones that I have used allow the user to set his own code.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I do not trust hotel room safes. I figure the staff knows the master combo or code and I wouldn't be surprised to find that they go through the safes from time to time.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Most electronic locks have a master code. My safe at home does, my deadbolt on my front door does, even my garage door opener does. This allows me to set and reset or eliminate additional codes for others. The hotel I stay at every other week has the safe locked and you must enter 0-0-0-0, then it opens. You may then make up your own code. If there were no way to override my code, they couldn't get the safe locked and back to 0-0-0-0 again.

In the past, I've utilized the hotel room safe. I've also kept my sidearm in the lock-box in my truck. My decision usally depends on where I'm at and where I'll be going. 'Most' of the time a hotel is just a stopping-off point, a place to sleep, and a place on where to decide to go to next.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

All hotel safes that use a digital combo have a master code to unlock it. next time you use the hotel safe set a code and call maintance and tell them that you can not open the safe,maintance will come in a reset the code back to 0000. Some of the hotel have medco cyclinder instead of a key pad those are better but there are additinal keys to the safes at the front desk. In case somebody checks out with out keaving the key. Most safes have a welded loop inside the safe in one of the corners. I would loop the cable thru the ejection port and place a lock to the loop. Last hotel that I stayed at did not have safe so I looped the cable around the water pipes in the bathroom behind the little service panel back into the COM safe while I was in the water park.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Not true.

The housekeepers do not have the "codes" to in-room safes. They can't access the safe when a guest is registered in the room. Only the guest can do that. In fact, there are no "codes" for in-room safes. The registered guest sets his/her own combination on the keypad.

Even the General Manager and Chief Engineer can't open an in-room safe that the registered guest has entered a combination into. If for some reason they have to open it, they have to call in a locksmith to drill it.

This happened to me recently. We stayed at a hotel and when we checked in I noticed the digital room safe was locked. I called the desk and told them I couldn't access the safe to open it. A little while later a uniformed security guy showed up with a handheld device. He plugged it into the safe somewhere under the keypad. I didn't look at it closer but it seemed like it was a USB port. He operated his handheld device for a while and the safe unlocked......it was empty.

The security guy said that kids tend to lock it up at the time their family checks out, thinking they're caused havoc for the hotel. So how secure is the handheld device? Could you find one on Ebay and start cracking hotel room safes?

I'd like to think that the handheld device is specific to only the serialed numbered safes on that property. I'd also like to think that if someone used the handheld device in a burglary that the user code used for unlocking it remain in the keypad's memory and could be accessed later to find out who opened the safe.

I'm only speaking of the experience I was directly involved in. No doubt there are/were different brands and models of hotel room safes made over the past several years. Along the history of room safe manufacturing I have no idea of the past protocol in their security level and who can access them and how, but it's likely been a wide range of options.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Hotel safe? Never...my car safe is just fine and well-hidden, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I voted no only because I have not been in this situation. What I would do, however, is use my own COM safe tied to the pipes under the sink or something more permanent.

I have forgotten my room safe code before and have seen how freaking easy it is for them to open them up.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I travel 100+ nights a year and use hotel safes all the time. One of the best things to happen to the hotel industry in years IMHO.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Hotel Safes & Guns! Something I know about for a change.

First of all: unless you have a VERY secure way to leave your gun in your car, DON'T. Usually hotels post a nice little notice in parking lots stating that they are not responsible for stolen items or damages to your vehicle and will fight you to the death on this one. Also, hotels usually do not spend much manpower on patrolling parking lots.

Electronic hotel safes have master codes to override any lock out. it is usually a long combination that is only known to the Supervisors and Directors of Security although this may vary depending on the hotel. In our hotel, all security officers knew the master code but only after three months with us and knowing how to operate the hand held device which not only is used for opening a safe but for reprogramming and interrogating its use. Our department was small so investigating who might have broken into a safe was easy pickings.

Some hotels will allow employees other than security officers to open a safe and I am not fond of that. If too many people know how to open a safe, the easier is for somebody to decide it is worth the risk to break into one. To check who is responsible for opening your safe, just lock it and call the front desk telling them you found the safe locked. If security shows up, you are fine (mostly), if a bell man, maintenance or some other associate not a manager or supervisor appears, don't leave anything of value inside. I wouldn't.

In this age of digital cameras you have a great advantage: you can have an instant record of what you leave in the box. Have a spare memory chip and take pictures of your valuables before placing them in the room safe and then inside. If something happens, you can provide the hotel with a truthful inventory of your missing items. On that note, please be truthful about the value of the missing property. The surest way to tick off security and the hotel insurance company into screwing you is to claim that your crappy Nokia Trac Phone that anybody can buy at a 7-11 for $30 was worth twice as much as the latest IPhone 3G.

Do NOT get creative and find a "secret place" in a hotel room. Guess what? Employees know that room better than you and can detect any changes in decor or something moved or placed where is not supposed to be. Plus, if something is missing, the hotel is not liable because you were offered a safe, free of charge and decided not to use it. Plus chances are you may forget about the safe place and leave valuables behind in the "secret place". I know, I collected & secured plenty of them mostly jewelry & cash.

Using the Safe boxes at Front Desk is an iffy situation. The rate of theft is just about null, but you have to deal with the personnel and Hotel procedures. Some hotel chains are notoriously anti-gun and will not accept a gun and might even ask you to leave. The FD workers may not know how to deal with somebody pulling a gun out and freak big time. Have the manager contact security to be present. Also, lots of those boxes may be to narrow to accept the gun so you may have to field strip it before placing it inside unless a bigger box is available. Don't forget that extra daily charges for the use of the safe box may apply.

As a final note: In 5 years I worked at my hotel, we had not one single solitary incident about somebody breaking into a safe. That does not mean it can't happen but it is a very low percentage. Then again, never lower your guard.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links