Another reason to love Glocks!

This is a discussion on Another reason to love Glocks! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was over at Glock Talk and found this awesome story from one of the newer members (DC45 is his user name), and his story ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another reason to love Glocks!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Another reason to love Glocks!

I was over at Glock Talk and found this awesome story from one of the newer members (DC45 is his user name), and his story really moved me and made me proud to own them!

My story goes like this; there is a very remote stream in North East Utah, where I used to live and liked to go fish, you had to walk this stream about 8 miles and fish your way up (back water and pools all along the way). About halfway along the trail there was a waterfall that was about 300 feet tall. Throughout the years, I had taken a rope in there with me to help me climb up alongside this water fall, just to make it easier to get to the top and continue my way along the stream fishing. I would go there several times a year (mostly alone) over a 7 or 8 year period. One time while hiking in there, I saw a small black bear, he scared off easy enough, but I thought from then on, it would not be a bad idea to pack a firearm with me just in case. I started carrying my Glock 20 (10MM) ,in a very inexpensive holster in the small of my back, (plenty of fire power for a black bear, if needed). Somehow, on one of my hikes, the thumb snap on my holster came un-snapped (without my knowledge). While I was climbing the waterfall area with the rope in both hands, I was just about to the top of the ledge and my beloved Glock fell from my holster. I watched helplessly as it bounced off of every rock down that cliff and landed in the water below. It was my favorite gun, and not having much money those days, I knew I would be hard pressed to ever replace it. I climbed back down the rope and started looking for it, it was gone. I had no idea how deep that pool of water was, but it was deeper then I was for sure. I had no change of clothes with me, I was a 4 mile walk back to the truck, and I had nothing else with me. It was pretty high up in the mountains, and was sure that the stream I was fishing froze solid every winter, and I knew the trout in that river were stocked fish. I fished that river a dozen more times after losing that gun, always pausing to look around for that gun; I knew I would never see it again. Three years later I was fishing that river, and had brought my cousin (who was visiting me from out of town) along. I told him the whole story on the drive up and during the hike. My cousin is pretty much a crazy guy to begin with, he tells me, he’ll just dive in there and find it! Yeah right. The pool of water turned out to be about 25 feet deep. He fooled around in that pool of water for 30 minutes or so (that water temperature had to be close to 45°F at best). That crazy guy dove down and came up with that gun! Three years after it had been laying in the bottom of that pool of ice cold water, most likely freezing into a solid block of ice for eight months of the year, not to mention a very pounding 250 foot bounce off a solid rock cliff, there it was, my favorite Glock!
    My cousin didn’t know anything about guns at all. I took it apart and gave it a quick inspection; it had a little rust on it but looked ok, just weathered. My cousin said to me, do you think it’ll still shoot? My military training instinct told me, this is not a good idea, but I also know that most off the shelf ammo is not made to the same water proof standards that military ammo is made. I figured at best, after 3 years submerged, the ammo has gone sour. I racked the slide and held the gun out and pulled the trigger, and “bang”…I kept squeezing the trigger until all 13 rounds I had loaded in it fired off. Not only did every round fire, 12 of the 13 rounds hit a 3” knot in a tree I was shooting at some 25 yards away.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like one of those articles that gets posted in the GSSF magazine. Good reasons to love Glocks. That story may be true, but I love my Glocks anyway.

Thought the story was going to somethings like this" Three years later I was fishing that river, and had brought my cousin (who was visiting me from out of town) along. I told him the whole story on the drive up and during the hike. So we are fishing and we had a great day caught some big fish. So we go home to clean up. We cut up the fish and lo and behold there was my Glock inside the largest of fish. I took the Glock apart and cleaned it and ran the ammo thru it and it worked like a charm.

That's why I love my Glock!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

You sure must love to fish...

Got to love a Glock, Gaston sure made a great firearm that few can match for dependability...OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Great story.

Of course the moral of the story is.... (wait for it)...

... get a better holster.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Maybe I am wrong, but I am calling BS on this story. Just too many things that are over the top in one story to believe it really happened.

Nothing against Glocks they are good guns, but if you have to come up with crazy stuff to try to convince folks how good something is, you have not been fully convinced yourself.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Glocks are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Great story.

Of course the moral of the story is.... (wait for it)...

... get a better holster.
    Yep.. That is about it,..

I believe this story,. (at least part of it) Not sure why, and I can understand others saying is is BS,..

how many people would have come home the first day without the glock?

not me

VIP Member
    3 years under water freezing and thawing and the ammo still fires.....that is superdy duper BS
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I believe the part about a Glock working after being submerged for three years. But swimming in 45 degree water for 30 min. Hmmmm....
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

25 feet down, neither the ammo, or the glock would have frozen...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

What farronwolf said!

I heard of a diver who found an English made Joseph Manton flintlock pistol at the bottom of Niagara Falls that had been reliably documented to have been dropped into the falls in in April of 1802 by a fellow who had water skied too close to the edge of the falls while being pursued by some Mohawk braves. Despite being submerged for 207 years in the pounding force of the water it was in first rate condition. The finder cocked this pistol while still underwater and fired it at a large lake trout, killing the fish which became the standing river record for the species until 1891.

Now, if you choose to believe it, that is an awesome gun!

I disbelieve both stories because of the ammo and the conditions; First, there are few if any out there that can dive into 45 degf water and survive for very long. The water temperature during the titanic disaster was only 5 or 6 degf colder and we know what happened there.

Secondly, after 3 years civilian ammo would not have survived. I know, because I dump ammunition that I don't want into a bucket of water overnight to deactivate it. That works every time. I don't know about military ammo, but I am sure it is not immune either, especially with that much pressure working against it.

For every foot of water, there is a .44 psi above atmospheric pressure increase in pressure. At 25 feet, you are talking an 11psi positive pressure working against the ammunition, which is only sealed with a taper crimp. The physiscs simply don't match up.

Not to mention the 207 year old gun still firing underwater and killing a record fish? A flintlock weapon? Come on.........I guess it used waterproof powder too?

And who was water skiing in 1802..
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links