QUESTION on Cap and Ball Shooting

This is a discussion on QUESTION on Cap and Ball Shooting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have several .44 cal black powder replicas. They are fun to shoot, but I find it difficult to purchase the needed round balls for ...

Thread: QUESTION on Cap and Ball Shooting

QUESTION on Cap and Ball Shooting

I have several .44 cal black powder replicas. They are fun to shoot, but I find it difficult to purchase the needed round balls for them.

While at a hardware store (that carried caps, but not balls) I noticed some .45 in a plastic bubble wrap intended for black powder hunting rifles. Now I wasn't quite sure if they would work in the .44s so I passed. When I got home I found that the specifications for the round balls I am shooting are for ".451" and work perfectly in the pistols.

Sooooooooo....can I use the rifle lead (they come with a plastic base) in my colt replicas, or not?

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Yep.
    I would take the sabots off and use them as is.

The .44 cal can use .451 or .452 roundballs or .440 roundballs with a cloth patch.

When using the .451, it should shear off a small ring of lead when seated with the bullet rammer.

I've used both and they worked well.

If you want to shoot them cheaply, buy a lead mold for them and cast some up, then shoot to your hearts content.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

THANKS!
    I really appreciate it!
    I'll go get some tomorrow.

Lead Moderator
    Have you "Googled" looking for lead balls? They are widely available in the reenacting community. Also look for Civil War Reenacting, and try Dixie Gun Works.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Another good thought......."If I only had a brain...."

Thanks

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Have you "Googled" looking for lead balls? They are widely available in the reenacting community. Also look for Civil War Reenacting, and try Dixie Gun Works.

Check Bass Pro Shop, I know they carry black powder supplies. I would also recommend using Wonder Wads. They seat between the powder and ball, virtually eliminating the possibility of a chain fire, and they aren't near as messy as greasing the cylinders.

A lot of re-enactor suppliers do not carry balls. Re-enactors are not allowed to have weapons loaded with powder and balls for safety reasons (at least the re-enactors I have been associated with). They usually load their weapons with only powder and Wonder Wads to retain the powder.
    Last edited by archer51; July 18th, 2009 at 09:45 PM. Reason: added info

Thanks, Archer. I do use wads, but a different brand.

For blanks, I go with some advice I got out in Deadwood. The re-enactors there said that they fill the remaining space in each cylinder with "Cream of Wheat". You pack it down on top of the powder, and BLAM! It makes a heck of a noise.

Lead Moderator
    Just FYI:

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    A lot of re-enactor suppliers do not carry balls. Re-enactors are not allowed to have weapons loaded with powder and balls for safety reasons (at least the re-enactors I have been associated with). They usually load their weapons with only powder and Wonder Wads to retain the powder.
    The reason I mentioned reenactors is that many of us shoot our "period" weapons when NOT at a reenactment.

I do both F&I and Revolutionary War and all our groups always have full safety inspections prior to the units taking the field. Some sites also require that ramrods be left behind, to prevent them from becoming projectiles. I don't think the Civil War groups do that as strictly, since they have had a lot more documentable mishaps at their events.

We don't even use wads, usually just the paper from the musket cartridge, since I use a rifle and load from a horn & measure, I don't even have the paper in the barrel.
    Rick

Administrator
    Or....all you really need to do it "Bare Bones" is a propane torch...a plumbers ladle...and one of these....and you can cast your own.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Just FYI:

The reason I mentioned reenactors is that many of us shoot our "period" weapons when NOT at a reenactment.

I do both F&I and Revolutionary War and all our groups always have full safety inspections prior to the units taking the field. Some sites also require that ramrods be left behind, to prevent them from becoming projectiles. I don't think the Civil War groups do that as strictly, since they have had a lot more documentable mishaps at their events.

We don't even use wads, usually just the paper from the musket cartridge, since I use a rifle and load from a horn & measure, I don't even have the paper in the barrel.
    I understand, I used to do Mountain Man era re-enacting. Our shooting was paper targets as well as metal match targets at varied distances, as well as knife and tomahawk throws. Patched round balls only. Every once in a while you'd get some fool who would try and load directly from his horn, then get upset when they got kicked off the shooting line for doing it. Our club was posted "No loading directly from the horn/flask". First offense kicked from the line. Permission to join the line again could only be granted by club president and range safety officer who had to concur on allowing you back on. Second offense you were permanently barred from the range.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Every once in a while you'd get some fool who would try and load directly from his horn, then get upset when they got kicked off the shooting line for doing it. Our club was posted "No loading directly from the horn/flask".
    I always figure that people like that have watched the Davy Crockett or Daniel Boone TV series once too often!

(Although there are primary sources mentioning direct loading in an emergency, like being chased by hostiles. )
    Rick

Links