Gun safe eats little girl / yet another thing to worry about - Page 3

Gun safe eats little girl / yet another thing to worry about

This is a discussion on Gun safe eats little girl / yet another thing to worry about within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As an aside, "The person who had the combination was in South Dakota and they could not get hold of him." Also don't think the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gun safe eats little girl / yet another thing to worry about

As an aside, "The person who had the combination was in South Dakota and they could not get hold of him."

Also don't think the reporter knew his/her safes. A 2'x3' safe world be and awful small "Gun Safe" but then we didn't have such a thing back fifty years ago. We did have gun cabinets in the homes, but then we didn't have many folks stealing guns then they just wanted the money and jewelery.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    .... Honey.... I have to buy a couple more guns... its for the Children you see....
    Quote Originally Posted by MedPig View Post
    You, Sir, are a genius.
    Yes, Absolutely BRILLIANT!!!! Do you think it would work on Mr. Bunny? Because if so, I am off to buy the biggest safe I can possibly find! (Little guy wants a Mossy for Christmas and I have my heart set on an AR-15.)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by H8SPVMT View Post
    Not knowing the model and not having the knowledge as to what modifications or work has been done to this container over the years, I would be hesitant to make that statement.

I don't recall that the locksmith on site (the one they called was over 35 miles away as I remember) had much info to disperse either, I can check with him though.
    There is no access to the locking mechanism without removing two steel plates. The first plate, if removed, could permit the door to be closed and the bolts extended, but I seriously doubt a child being strong enough or having the hand-span to rotate a 4" cam 45 degrees to extend three 1" bolts. Even so, the lock cannot be manipulated at this point. Removal of the second plate allowing access to the inner workings of the lock fires the relocker and disables movement of the lockbolt, disabling the combination lock. In other words, if the plate is off with the door open, it can't be closed or unlocked by the combination if closed. Consider that once the door is closed, the rest would have to be done by touch, as it would be pitch black in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly1964 View Post
    There is no access to the locking mechanism without removing two steel plates. The first plate, if removed, could permit the door to be closed and the bolts extended, but I seriously doubt a child being strong enough or having the hand-span to rotate a 4" cam 45 degrees to extend three 1" bolts. Even so, the lock cannot be manipulated at this point. Removal of the second plate allowing access to the inner workings of the lock fires the relocker and disables movement of the lockbolt, disabling the combination lock. In other words, if the plate is off with the door open, it can't be closed or unlocked by the combination if closed. Consider that once the door is closed, the rest would have to be done by touch, as it would be pitch black in there.
    Both the door pan and the lock cover could have been removed at the time; we have no way to know this except to speculate.
    Again, without the knowledge of the particulars that is impossible to do.
    Would you say the lock was a Center# 100 or the S&G 6701? Or could it be the "Meilink Special Lock", or any number of the old Eagle locks?
    In many of those used by Meilink the door handle was just a pull handle and the lock did all the bolt work.

The fellow that I have contact with was not afterall the 'smith tha provided the actual combination. He was called but was not in the area right at the moment. We all know how that goes.

Melink also has some double door units (I always think Schwab when I see one) that a child or even an adult could easily fit in but is much bigger than the unit decribed in the news story.

BTW, how do you fit a 10 yr old in a 2'x3' safe? I think it was larger than that, myself.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links