Sending my Spike's Tactical 22 conversion kit back

Sending my Spike's Tactical 22 conversion kit back

This is a discussion on Sending my Spike's Tactical 22 conversion kit back within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, after two range days with more problems than any 10/22 I've ever used, I've decide to send the kit back. Yesterday I posted some ...

Thread: Sending my Spike's Tactical 22 conversion kit back

Thumbs down Sending my Spike's Tactical 22 conversion kit back

Well, after two range days with more problems than any 10/22 I've ever used, I've decide to send the kit back. Yesterday I posted some problems I had over in the rifle forum. About every 5 rounds I would get a FTE. On top of that every other one of those would get jammed up on top of the bolt assembly to where I couldn't pull it out. I would have to take the rifle apart to pull the kit out. I also had a round fire without being chambered, causing it to explode and blow out the back of the round.

Well, today wasn't much better. I trimmed the spring a couple of coils like Spike's suggests. I had the same problems all day, every 5 to ten rounds (maybe a little less often), but the glaring problem to me is that the hammer will drop no matter how far out of battery the bolt is! Maybe that's normal for a conversion kit, but it's good for me. I didn't have an un-chambered round explode on me today, but I could hear the hammer drop with the bolt wide open (due to the previous round being jammed up on top of the bolt).

Either way, I've emailed the company I ordered from requesting a refund. I think I'll take the refund money and get a MK III, Buckmark, or one of those weird looking Berettas.

If anyone uses this conversion kit, please feel free to give some advice on what the problem might be.

Yesterday's "out of battery" round

Today with a case stuck.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Looks like a CCI case... IIRC Spike's recommends Federal bulk pack. Have you tried different ammo?

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    My son has one of those weird looking Berettas, and it is freaking sweeeet! Sorry to hear about your problems with the conversion kit though. Sounds dangerous in addition to really REALLY annoying!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

The round in the top picture is a CCI mini mag, I only shot one mag full of them since they are more expensive, I thought they might work better. The other 150 or so rounds were all Winchester bulk. I really don't see how ammo manufacturer would make a difference based on the problems I'm having, especially the hammer dropping out of battery. I might could see the jamming problem, but the fact that the rounds can even get up in there is a deal breaker for me. I'm sure all conversion kits operate and are made pretty much the same, that's why I have decided to just send it back and pick up a new pistol. I did see this however AR-22-100. For $335 it may be worth a try since I don't have $600 for a Spike's upper.

After a little more messing around, I have discovered that the AR will release the hammer no matter where the bolt is. The bolt has to be fully inserted/chambered for the hammer to hit the firing pin correctly. I guess the conversion kit is a little shorter or something allowing it to fire without being fully chambered. I can also see how the different brand could cause the bad ejections. The shape of the rim is different from brand to brand, so that could mess up the ejecting angle and send the case straight up instead of out. I guess I'll wait on sending it back, and try out some Federal bulk, if I can find some.

Use plenty of lube especially at first,they like to run wet,Have A Ciener Full auto conversion for my friends M16 and it runs 100% wet but once it dries up after several hundred FA rounds it will start FTF every now and then.If the Spikes tactical doesn't improve look into getting a Ciener,the semi and FA versions have been great with federal bulk ammo
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'll take the advice and get some Federal before I send it back. The 10/22 loves the Winchester stuff .

The Hammer may release on the conversion when out of battery,but the angle of the hammer should prevent a firing pin strike unless the bolt is in battery,one way to check is take a spent case and insert where the firing pin would strike a new spot,then take a thin piece of metal or flat blade screwdriver tip and insert in bolt just far enough to hold it open a little,then pull the trigger and see if the firing pin strikes the rim of the case,if it does that means the gun will fire out of battery.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I love my funny looking Beretta.

Seriously though, the people over at Spikes Tactical are really great folks. I am sure they will make it right by you. I agree that the ammo shouldn't really matter as long as it is quality stuff. Give them a call and let us know how your situation gets resolved.

EAJ
    Say blackjack, just out of curiosity, is your hammer notched or un-notched? Thanks. :)

Some things to consider, make sure chamber is clean, no lead fouling preventing the round to fully seat, use plenty of lube, and try a different mag.

Quote Originally Posted by EAJ View Post
    Say blackjack, just out of curiosity, is your hammer notched or un-notched? Thanks. :)
    Un-notched.

Sponsored Links