Range Report

Range Report

This is a discussion on Range Report within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Per my New Member - New Pistol post of March 18th here's my report: I finally got the chance to shoot my new Detonics USA ...

Thread: Range Report

Range Report

Per my New Member - New Pistol post of March 18th here's my report:

I finally got the chance to shoot my new Detonics USA CombatMaster today.... For those that don't remember, the CombatMaster is a 3-1/2" cone tapered barreled (no bushing), six round magazine, all stainless steel 1911 type pistol with no grip safety, which is now produced in Pendergrass Georgia. It weighs 34 ounces plus another 7 ounces for the six 230 grain rounds, magazine, and one in the tube, cocked and locked.

Well off to the range.... The Shooters Shop in West Allis, Wisconsin (southwest side of Milwaukee) has a nice seven bay, 50 foot indoor pistol range with electronic target retrieval and a great ventilation system. The range will allow shooting of calibers up to .50 S&W Magnum, including NFA weapons.

The CombatMaster comes with only one one magazine from the factory, so I had purchased two extra, after market mags, from The Gunclip Depot prior to recept of the pistol.

Back to the range.... I chose bay seven, the last bay with a solid block wall to my right, hoping to retrieve more of my brass and not mix it with that of the other shooters.

Loaded up the three magazines and proceeded with test.... First mag was the Metalform that Detonics USA does some critical operations to before they're sold. Six shots - no problems! Second mag (mfg.?) six shots - no problems. Third mag (mfg.?) six shots - slide didn't remain open after last shot. Seems the follower wasn't bent quite right. I didn't have any tools to correct this at the range so I used it as is through this first series of tests. Upon return home I rebent the angle and did a small amount of filing. It now holds the slide open when hand cycled and hopefully will work properly the next time at the range.

All together I fired 125 rounds of 230 gr. WWB and 50 rounds of 230 gr. reloads by Mannings X-Ring Reloads, that I had purchased at a gun show 10-12 years ago. Don't know the powder or primer used for the reloads only that they were in S&W cases.

Conclusion:
    I have only praise for all the folks at Detonics USA for building a great pistol which shot to POA without any problems. I won't tell the size of the groups other than they all would have been in the bad guy's chest. The last time I shot any caliber gun larger then a .22 was in November of 2003 with my 8" Colt Python during deer hunting season. All said , "GREAT PISTOL". If I continue to get these good range results and Wisconsin ever passes a right to carry concealed bill, this will be my CCW............ Bob
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

VIP Member
    Good report, Bob! The CombatMasters look pretty interesting.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    Excellent Bob - thx for the report.

I shot pretty much that exact same gun many years ago (approx 1984 maybe) - the first Detonics I had seen - tho I guess it may have changed a bit since. Shot very well - and I was almost hypnotized by the (then) strange barrel appearance!!!

Glad it runs well - and that mag fix sounded both effective as well as easy.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good review sounds like a excellent handgun

VIP Member
    Excellent report! Thanks!!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Administrator

Real Nice Report

I'm happy to hear that the new Detonics seems to be working as well as the older original ones.
    Fine handgun.
    Great Concealed Carry Firearm.
    Thanks for telling us about it!

Thanks for the range report, and glad to see you got back into pistol shooting.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

I read somewhere that Jerry Ahern is calling the shots at Detonics. If that is true then Kudos to them. I hope they don't get their cutomer service people from Remington though. Thanx for the excellent range report.

packnheat ----- Prior to buying the Detonics USA CombatMaster I had sent an e-mail to Jerry Ahern to request some info. The following day I had the answers to my questions. That's very good customer service........ Bob

Thanks for the info - good report. Shaping up to be a keeper, eh?

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by mkeBob
    packnheat ----- I had sent an e-mail to Jerry Ahern to request some info. The following day I had the answers to my questions. That's very good customer service........ Bob
    yes it is good customer service...I, on the other hand, wasn't so lucky. I sent off an email for some info on Ahern's holsters over two months ago. I have not received a response...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

artz... You may want to send an e-mail to info@grandfatheroak.com. If I remember correctly they had something to do with the Ahern holster line........Bob

Sponsored Links