Shotgun or Pistol?

Shotgun or Pistol?

This is a discussion on Shotgun or Pistol? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I head back to college this fall and I've been thinking about getting a firearm to keep in the house that my friends and I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun or Pistol?

Shotgun or Pistol?

I head back to college this fall and I've been thinking about getting a firearm to keep in the house that my friends and I are renting. I was originally thinking about getting a shotgun (Maverick) but I thought that a pistol could serve me better because I would be able to carry it with me (not on school property though). I was thinking about this because half of town is nice but the other half is pretty rough. If I did get a pistol I would want it to be less than $300, I know that's not much to work with. I wanted to see what your guys' take was on my thought was or if you had any advice or input.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I'd check with the landlord to make sure that having a firearm there wasn't a breach of the lease. When I was in college, we were expressly forbidden from having one.

With that said, I rely mainly on my shotgun for my HD. I have a 12 ga Mossberg 500 with #4 buckshot.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Assuming you have a ccw, I'd opt for a handgun as the more versatile option.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Shotgun for home, pistol can be used for both, home and carry. Depending on what you get, you might have to look at used guns to meet your budget.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Oops. I forgot to post part of what I wanted to. Yes I do have a ccw. I was thinking about getting a pistol to carry with me when not on campus. A shotgun would be a little difficult to hide on me. But like I said, finding a cheap, small, reliable pistol for $300 or less is hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD7 View Post
    Oops. I forgot to post part of what I wanted to. Yes I do have a ccw. I was thinking about getting a pistol to carry with me when not on campus. A shotgun would be a little difficult to hide on me. But like I said, finding a cheap, small, reliable pistol for $300 or less is hard to find.
    Look into getting a taurus 2" M85 UL in .38 special. you can get a brand new one for $300 or so. or if you want more power, you could get the same revolver in .357 for about $359. I cant remember the model number.

I have the little M85 UL. it is easy to conceal, it is very acurate, and I have never had a hiccup with it.

I can just throw i in my pocket and go!

James
    Active Duty Air Force
    NRA Life Member
    CCW

Buy a pistol first, then save for the shotgun.

The old Star's in 9mm are fairly inexpensive and seem to be solidly made. I carried a Star B for quite a while. I think the last one I picked up was under $250 in excellent condition at a show. They are single stacks, so are reasonably thin.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I agree a star pistol is a good buy for the money.I also like a pistol fpr self defense in my house because it's harder for the bad guy to take it away from me with out cetting hit by a couple rounds ,whereas, shotgun you could loose
    muzzle integrity real easy if you have a determined opponent.I own half dozen shotguns and I'd be quick to use one if I was looking for someone.

For HD only, there is no substitute for a 12ga. shotgun. But, since you already have a CCH and no handgun, I'd go for the handgun. To meet your budget, you may want to try and find a Kel-Tec PF-9. Not the prettiest girl at the party, but mine has gone bang every time I pulled the trigger EXCEPT with Golden Saber ammo (won't feed out of the mag). You can usually find them for less than $300.00.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

One can usually find a used Ruger P-series for around $300; some of the S&W trade-in autos can also be found down in that range...

Then, I'd see if I could save a few pennies and get a H&R single-shot 12 or 20 guage for in the house...I had one as my closet companion all through college...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I already have an XD9, but I'd like to either leave that at home with my family and get another gun or replace it with something and take the XD with me. My dad has gotten really attached to the XD and I don't know how well he would be able to adjust to a different gun with different features (mag release, safety, slide stop, etc.)

College go'er.... High Point 9mm.... Cheap enough you can afford to get out and shoot it now and then.. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BigD7 View Post
    I already have an XD9, but I'd like to either leave that at home with my family and get another gun or replace it with something and take the XD with me. My dad has gotten really attached to the XD and I don't know how well he would be able to adjust to a different gun with different features (mag release, safety, slide stop, etc.)
    Sorry, if I'd known you already had a pistol my answer would have been get the shotgun. There's no need to leave a pistol at home if they have a shotgun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links