How exactly is a semi autoloader safe (help settle a debate)

This is a discussion on How exactly is a semi autoloader safe (help settle a debate) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all...help settle a friendly debate I am having with my buddy. It all started when he commented on the way I carry (appendix/1:00) because ...

Thread: How exactly is a semi autoloader safe (help settle a debate)

How exactly is a semi autoloader safe (help settle a debate)

Hey all...help settle a friendly debate I am having with my buddy. It all started when he commented on the way I carry (appendix/1:00) because it points down into my leg and if the pistol ever malfunctioned it would basically hit my artery and so on...

I told him unless it was operator error, this would never happen. I know the firing pin is offset but I don't understand the inner components well enough to actually explain and show why the pistol would not fire unless the trigger was pulled. (I am using a Kahr MK9, he has a Glock 30).

If anyone has a picture that would be even better. I am talking about the physics involved, (I feel like he is arguing something that goes against physics ....like the slide moving FORWARD when the gun fires. It just wouldn't happen unless someone physically sabotaged it...

2. Remove Ads

‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Maybe he is just worried because he carries a Glock, one pistol that is among the easiest to fire if not handled properly?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Maybe he is just worried because he carries a Glock, one pistol that is among the easiest to fire if not handled properly?
    I have a variety of pistols, including some Glocks...I believe your statement should be applied to any and all weapons.
    It's a finger thing...pure and simple.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

New Member Array TheMightyQuinn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blakestr View Post
    It all started when he commented on the way I carry (appendix/1:00) because it points down into my leg and if the pistol ever malfunctioned it would basically hit my artery and so on...
    I agree with your friend. Remember the four gun rules. I believe if that artery in your leg is severed, your have only minutes to live (same with the one near the biceps and neck.) Do you really want your muzzle pointing there?

Yes, a discharge should never happen, and you're banking your life on it. While carrying at three or four o'clock, the muzzle rarely points at a body part, and when it does it points to a calf or a foot. A discharge would not result in a life-threatening wound. This is the same reasoning why those shoulder holsters where the muzzle points behind you scare me. You're aiming at everything behind you!

This is just my opinion, and I'm sure others will disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have a variety of pistols, including some Glocks...I believe your statement should be applied to any and all weapons.
    It's a finger thing...pure and simple.
    There you have it...plain and simple.

VIP Member
    I don't see them any less safe than a revolver, which in many cases don't have a safety, just your finger!

It is as safe as the quality of the grey matter between your ears, grasshopper....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

if it happens it happens, chances are very unlikely, and when such things occur, its so rare that its all over the news... you have better chances of being in a fatal car accident.

nothing is 100%, but the risk does not outweigh the way you holster. simple as that...

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Just ask him why he is so concerned. Your the one that is going to bleed out if your firearm decides to magically come to life and start shooting all on its own.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

If the weapon is in a good holster, and one's finger isn't pressing the trigger...it'll take something with the improbability of spontaneous combustion inside the chameberd cartridge to make it go bang on it's own.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I agree with the "good holster/know your firearm" crowd. If your safety doesn't have a good positive detent and you have a two ounce trigger pull and/or the holster doesn't cover your trigger completely or your holster is very thin and supple and/or your always fiddling with it or the firearm you may have a problem. If none of the above apply you aren't in danger. I'd suggest taking your friend to the range and placing the unloaded, holstered, cocked weapon on the bench facing away from the two of you and attempting to get the thing to dry fire. Ought to stop the debate in about a half hour.

Links