Ohio Private sale help needed

This is a discussion on Ohio Private sale help needed within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I tried looking in the forum and did not find the specific answer i want so here it is. A friend of a friend is ...

Thread: Ohio Private sale help needed

I tried looking in the forum and did not find the specific answer i want so here it is.

A friend of a friend is selling a Beretta m9 for an amount I would consider to be way less than its value. I do not know the guy so I don't want to make the wrong judgment, but my concern is if the gun is stolen and/ or has been used in a crime.... more so the latter. If i do and FFL transfer does that wash my hands of anything that may or may not be in this firearms past? or should I walk away from a sweet deal? Again I do not know for sure that this is a "hot" gun. The only thing that make me think that it could be is the price. What would you do?
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Ask him if you can run the serial number to make sure it's not stolen,I personally would have no problem showing my ID or letting a serial number check be run
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

thanks dukalmighty...I was thinking if he showed any resistance to a record of the sale that it would be a red flag... I could just be that he needs quick cash, but I just want to be safe...
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

I work with a guy who had a line on cheap guns. One day the police show up and confiscate the guns b/c they were stolen. The only thing that saved him is that he had bills-of-sale and receipts for them all or he would have been hauled into jail too. Just make sure there is a paper trail and you are in the clear.

MT
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

Is this from a friend you know and trust, or just an associate?
    It's pretty easy to have a serial number checked.
    If it's a great price, I'd get moving on checking it out.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Ask him if you can run the serial number to make sure it's not stolen,I personally would have no problem showing my ID or letting a serial number check be run
    I wouldn't even ask. Tell him you are running the numbers and will pick it up when they come back. Make it sound like it is something you do on every private sale. They will come back fine I am sure. I tend to think that most criminals take em strait to the pawn shops for quick cash not realizing that the numbers are run there every time.

Quote Originally Posted by jdivence View Post
    I tried looking in the forum and did not find the specific answer i want so here it is.

A friend of a friend is selling a Beretta m9 for an amount I would consider to be way less than its value. I do not know the guy so I don't want to make the wrong judgment, but my concern is if the gun is stolen and/ or has been used in a crime.... more so the latter. If i do and FFL transfer does that wash my hands of anything that may or may not be in this firearms past? or should I walk away from a sweet deal? Again I do not know for sure that this is a "hot" gun. The only thing that make me think that it could be is the price. What would you do?
    The FFL transfer only ensures that the buyer is not a prohibited person. It does nothing in regards to the firearm itself nor the seller. A bill of sale is what you need.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar

Sponsored Links