I Need to Vent About an Incident at Work Today

This is a discussion on I Need to Vent About an Incident at Work Today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am not sure if this is the right place for this and hopefully the mods will help me on that if I put it ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Need to Vent About an Incident at Work Today

I Need to Vent About an Incident at Work Today

I am not sure if this is the right place for this and hopefully the mods will help me on that if I put it under the wrong heading.

I am a health care administrator at a hospital in Tennessee. No firearms allowed in hospitals in TN in case you are wondering.

This is what happened today:

We had an incident in the Emergency Department this morning. A 28 year old black male had beaten up and raped his girlfriend last night and they both came into the ED. He had cuts on his hands from having hit her. We are obligated to call the police to report an assault. When the police showed up he freaked and attacked the police officers and some of the staff. The police sent a pregnant female and an older male officer. The pregnant female refused to engage in the fight and the older male officer was getting his tail kicked. One of the male staff jumped in and assisted, but they were both losing. The punk jumped to his feet and reached in his pocket. The female officer pulled her weapon and the punk stopped fighting while the other officer cuffed him. He was then placed back into a room. The staff in the ED then notified me and the hospital security staff went to administration to inform them of the incident. I immediately dropped what I was doing and went to the department. The Chief Nursing Officer was already there and getting the report from my staff as they were informing the police lieutenant about what had occurred.

Here is where I get pissed off. The CNO is a gun hating liberal. She is mad because the police officer dared to pull her gun out in the hospital. She wants a policy forcing the police to check their weapons with security at our door. I asked what would have happened had the punk had a weapon (we don't have metal detectors at the doors). She stated that then there would have been 2 people that shouldn't have guns in the hospital. I dropped the argument as there was no way to win this.

After she left and went to her office the fool jumped out of the bed again and ran and assaulted 2 more officers while handcuffed.

I am now going to be caught in a political battle with her over the right of the POLICE to have guns in our facility to keep us safe.

If we were to have such a policy the police would be in no hurry to come assist us when this kind of thing happens.

Sorry to vent on you, but I knew you guys would understand my frustration.

Any words of wisdom to help me in this fight would be wonderful. I have to handle this in a politically correct manner. The rest of the admin staff is not as liberal and I am sure that cooler heads will prevail, but there will still be a debate.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    If the police don't have weapons, does she want the place to be a candy store for a BG?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

It is hard to argue with stupid that is for sure. Tell her that you have recommended to hospital officials that in the future when an incident like this occurs hospital staff are to call her not the police. She can handle it as she sees fit.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

There is probably already a state law on the books that basically says that LEO's in the performance of their duties are exempt from any and all "No Weapons Policies".

If there is, tell the CNO that she has no power to disarm LEO's in the performance of their duties and sometimes, like in this case, guns are needed to effect the arrest of a badguy.

Other than that, you can't fix stupid.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; July 24th, 2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo

Fire her.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Can't fire someone that I work for, but thanks for the suggestion.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

i understand your frustration...... for sure

but i cant imagine that any police dept is going to check in their guns.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Wow, what a dumba$$, you can't talk to people like that.
    Since police are exempt from firearm policies (don't tell her), but tell her you will order the gun lockers and make sure you order the best and most expensive one you can find and that will give you a place to store your weapon while at work.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    As far as I know, LEO's in TN can't be asked to disarm except in correctional facilities.
    I'm sure someone else will be along who knows the statutes for certain.

Frustrating stupidity for sure.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Typical Liberal. She'd change her tune real quick if she were the one being attacked.

I would suggest that if that situation happens again, tell the BG she is the one who called the Police and see if she changes her mind real quick like.

I kind of doubt that the LEO's would have to follow any rules for disarming at the hospital when being dispatched on duty.

Other than trying to knock some sense into her which would get you fired, you can calmly explain that each and every time there is an incident of violence in the hospital you expect her to respond to the threat and take care of the situation if she doesn't want the police to respond with their weapons. If she is not willing to put her ass on the line for the safety of the hospital then she just needs to suck it up and let the police do their job when they are dispatched to the hospital.

No you can't fix stupid, but if the stupid one has to get into the mix and their safety is at stake, they tend to smarten up pretty quickly.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Your CNO is...

A. A nimrod...
    B. A complete idiot...
    C. Ignorant...
    D. A 'maroooon'...
    E. All of the above...

You pick the answer.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

No you can't fix stupid, but if the stupid one has to get into the mix and their safety is at stake, they tend to smarten up pretty quickly.

It's amazing how "enlightening" a real situation can be. When somebody realizes that it's their behind on the line they tend to change a few things.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    It is hard to argue with stupid that is for sure. Tell her that you have recommended to hospital officials that in the future when an incident like this occurs hospital staff are to call her not the police. She can handle it as she sees fit.
    +1 on this! Let her experience her own rules.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links