indoor vs outdoor ranges, what's your preference?

This is a discussion on indoor vs outdoor ranges, what's your preference? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i'd like to know if most of you prefer to use indoor or outdoor shooting ranges and why? how much do you pay to use ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: indoor vs outdoor ranges, what's your preference?

indoor vs outdoor ranges, what's your preference?

i'd like to know if most of you prefer to use indoor or outdoor shooting ranges and why? how much do you pay to use these ranges?

2. Remove Ads

Indoor. Just because it's on average 110 in the desert during the summer.
    HK45c V1

B52
    It depends on what/when I am shooting. When shooting pistols, i.e 9mm/38spcl/45acp/22; I like the indoor range in the summer time. When shooting rifles, 44mag and above pistols I like outdoor ranges. Arizona summers are really hot here 100-110, the shade helps a little.

Tucson indoor range fee is about: $7-10
    Outdoor range fee is about $3-5 all day

I belong to an private outdoor range that is the nicest range of the many I've been to in many states.
    I pay $200 per year, and $50 more for the 'boss'.
    We can shoot 7 days a week 'sun up till sun down.

Year-round shooting in FL is perfect...

Here it is...
    Gainesville Target Range, Inc. : NRA Membership Only Facility : Handgun and Rifle Ranges : Target Range for Sale
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    When it's not raining, I'm all about the "redneck gun and skeet club," that is a little unicorporated land just north of town. It's free!

Rainy weather, I'll spring for the indoor range.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

last time ,my wife and went to the indoor range. Having our own guns and ammo it cost us about $40 bucks. Most of that was range fees.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I belong to a club with indoor and outdoor ranges and it depends on the weather as to which I prefer. It is $60 a year and 24/7 access to the indoor range. Daylight hrs for outdoor.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I have been to the Scottsdale Gum Club and Shooters World for indoor ranges. I have been to Ben Avery for the outdoor ranges. I just like shooting outdoors the most. Even when its a 110 out. Your under shade, so it feels like 95 and its a dry heat.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    I have been to the Scottsdale Gum Club

What brand do you chew.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I belong to an outdoor range that costs me $80.00 per year for unlimited access. I like it as long as the weather is cooperating. Spring thru fall is usually pretty good, winter can get cold with a lot of sub-freezing weather. When it is that cold I will go to an indoor range, or I just won’t go.

I personally prefer the outdoor range because I like being outdoors. But, I live in an area where the weather cooperated throughout the majority of the year.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I've only been shooting since April, really, but I belong to an outdoor range and LOVE IT! Though it can be a little brutal when the temperatures get above 80 or 90. I'm not sure about the rest of the year yet. I wasn't totally thrilled with the one indoor range we went to -- it wasn't a/c, so it was still pretty warm in there, and it was small and not very well lit. Got a huge headache halfway through.

Oh, the outdoor range costs me $85 a year, shooting is unlimited as long as it is during daylight hours (and after noon on Sundays).
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I don't go to ranges to shoot. I don't know of any ranges that will let me shoot most of what I shoot.

I am a member of an indoor range. $250 for the family per year. unlimited use.
    any handgun, shotgun, or 223 to 7.62 rifle.
    there is an outdoor range that has a 100 yard range. that is $15 per use.
    that is where I sighted in the .300 win mag.

just this last Saterday I went with relatives to shoot on State land. Had a great time with 250+ yard shots. that .300 is FUN to shoot.

edit: forgot to answer. you need an indoor range in this part of the country. too wet otherwise.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Belonged to an indoor range when I lived in New Orleans, which was fine with me. It was $50 a year plus you had to use their ammo & targets. It was limited to mainly pistol use. Rifles could only be shot if they were .223 caliber or smaller.

Since '03 my current club is here in E. Texas. It's almost 300 acres with two pistol ranges, two rifle ranges, three shotgun ranges and an archery range. It costs $75 a year and guests are free (but your responsibility). You provide your own ammo and can use your own targets or ones provided by the club for 50 cents each. You also have to be a member of the NRA to belong to the club, so I guess that could/should be added to the cost, though I was an NRA member long before I joined the gun club.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I prefer indoor in the winter - shooting outside at -20 degrees just isn't as much fun as it sounds.... I much rather take the boat down some river where no one is around during the summer and use Gods shooting range. No range restrictions :-)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links