XDm 9mm $590 or something else........

This is a discussion on XDm 9mm $590 or something else........ within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This will be my first handgun and looking for a little advice from all you old timers;) I really like the XDm but i am ...

Thread: XDm 9mm $590 or something else........

This will be my first handgun and looking for a little advice from all you old timers;) I really like the XDm but i am hearing contradicting voices on weather to get this one or wait and keep looking for something else. I did my qualification shoot for my ccw with a glock 17L and loved that but i cannot find one of those for the life of me. IDEAS?????

Thanks
    Woody

JD
    Administrator
    If you can't find a Glock in 9mm for under around that price, you're doing something wrong. Looking at Gunsamerica.com there are two listed for $619 and $660, if you shop around you can find one in your price range, but a 17L would not be my first choice for an eventual carry gun. Get a G19 if you liked the 17L.

And yes, I own an XDM, but if you like the Glock, stick with it.

A Glock-19 or 26 can easily be had for your $$.
    You will be purchasing dependability for a long long time.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

+1 on the G19, awesome gun, catn go wrong with a Glock for the money.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Echo the Glock 19....especially if you are comfy shooting the Glock. For the money you want to spend you can pick up a box or two of ammo as well...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The Glock 19 is still my carry gun going on 3 years now, have yet to find a better carry gun.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Administrator
    Something else.

The Glock 19 will serve you well in any role you choose to use it in.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The Glock 19 will serve you well in any role you choose to use it in.
    That about sums it up....Bud's Gun Shop has them for $519, shipped...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

cmb
    seems a glock would do well, i have been looking hard at an xd and like them on paper but would need to touch and shoot before i could purchase... i agree with the group on the size of the carry gun, the xdm is not too heavy (a little heavier loaded) but it is a little thicker... that being said many around here carry a full size pistol! If I only had one gun for carry, personally I would choose something in the G26 size b/c of flexibility in carry (IWB, OWB, pocket & others), glad I don't have to make that choice, whew...

My XDM .40 put my Glock 19 in the safe, I have been shooting & carrying my new XDM for a few weeks now, It fits my hand a little better. Plus I like the .40 over the 9mm

Well gentlemen,
    I gave in going in to SLC tomorrow and picking up my XDm 9mm. I found a guy who had a stainless and black, and I was done. It was the gun I wanted! Now to buy accessories! IDEAS where and what???
    Thanks guys for all your help!

Woody
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Woodyth; July 28th, 2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Added Photo

That is a fine piece of equipment. However, that would not be my choice for my only firearm. It is not very easy to conceal. I value my XDm .40 but I do not use it as a daily carry. I prefer a 3" 1911. I own several of them from Colt to Kimber. As far as XD for a carry, I have a XD Sub-compact .40 with an internal guide rod laser.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

There are not a lot of accessories or mods for the XDs. It's even near impossible to change the sights to night sights without sending the gun back to Springfield. If you like the gun, buy it for sure. If you like a lot of accessories.... Light and holster is about it. I'd make sure you can find a holster for the M series, not sure if they're available or if the XD (no M) is compatable.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    There are not a lot of accessories or mods for the XDs. It's even near impossible to change the sights to night sights without sending the gun back to Springfield. If you like the gun, buy it for sure. If you like a lot of accessories.... Light and holster is about it. I'd make sure you can find a holster for the M series, not sure if they're available or if the XD (no M) is compatable.
    Not quite true, when the "M" came out, holster selection was poor, but it's taken off well, most of the "custom makers" have the dummy gun to make a rig.

As far as sights go, the regular XD and the "M" use the same sights, you can get Trijicons, TFOs. Heinie sights are available for the XD line as well are XS sights.

Regarding holsters:

Crossbreed, CompTac, Fist, HBE, TT Gunleather, Tucker Gunleather, and UBG all make holsters for the "M", and the Blackhawk Serpa will accommodate the "M", although unless they came out with a 4.5" model, you'll either be .5" long or short on the holster. DeSantis makes holsters the "M" (limited models), I don't think Galco has added that model yet, neither had Don Hume. So there's some options out there, I didn't go through my whole list, but I'm pretty sure the point has been made.

Here's my two rigs for the XDM

And I plan on eventually adding some Heinie Straight-8 night sights to mine with the wider rear notch.

Links