Recommend a milsurp carbine?

This is a discussion on Recommend a milsurp carbine? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello everyone, I've been thinking about getting a bolt action or semi auto mil-surp gun. Cheap in the name of the game here, but I ...

Thread: Recommend a milsurp carbine?

Recommend a milsurp carbine?

Hello everyone,
    I've been thinking about getting a bolt action or semi auto mil-surp gun. Cheap in the name of the game here, but I don't really know where I should look. I was hoping you guys could recommend a good rifle for a beginner into the mil-surp world. I'm not new to rifles or shooting in general, I'm just ignorant about all these old guns. So this is what I'm looking for.

I want to do a lot of shooting so ammo needs to be dirt cheap.
    I kind of want a project that I can tinker with, you know refinish the stock, reblue it, just a fun resto-mod project.
    I think a carbine would be nice as it would be much more portable, but I think the recoil may be much more than I want.
    Bolt action or semi-auto doesn't matter.

I've thought about
    7.62 Mosin Carbine
    1916 Short Mauser
    Spanish FR-8

I thought the FR-8 would be a neat platform to build on and be kinda unique.
    Can you guys recommend a good cheap carbine?
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

2. Remove Ads

The Mosin carbines, such as the M44, tend to be kinda stiff in the recoil department, but back when I got mine they were like 80 bucks, really not a bad price at all. Ammo is still relatively cheap. IMO the full size Nagant is a bit unwieldy, but worth a look too as they can be found for cheap. Mauser tend to be a bit more expensive, but I really enjoy my German K98, and some of the Czech models can still be had for around 200 last I checked, they are full sized, but there is a lot of tinkering that can be done with Mausers.

Also I know a year or two back there were some Enfields of different varieties available on the surplus market. I have access to a .308 jungle carbine, and its rather fun to shoot, with a great trigger.

Just some stuff for you to look into.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

That is what I had heard about the Mosin carbines as far as recoil goes, is the general con census to stray away from these. After all I'm looking to keep my teeth in my head and my should intact when I shoot this weapon.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

I would go for the M44 or the Mosin Nagant 91/30 rifle. You can get the rubber recoil pad and ammo is still priced okay.

http://combatoptical.com/images/prod...8_PJNG005A.jpg

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    What about a M1 Carbine?
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Have you considered an SKS? They are still cheap and 7.62x39 ammo is easy to find.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Mosin all the way!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, there is some recoil.

But they're cheap, the ammo is cheap, and they are tons and tons of fun.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    What about a M1 Carbine?
    Great rifle, but sell your blood and first born children to acquire the money to buy one. The last one I saw for sale was priced at $800 and looked like the Marine Corps had dragged it across Iwo Jima backwards.

Oh, and just try to find ammo for one as well.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; July 29th, 2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: add another comment.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    You can get them from CMP Service grade for around $500.00, and I ahevn't had much trouble finding ammo, I got 40 rounds of Corbon DPX for mine, plus 200 rounds of Remington FMJs, and 100 rounds of Federal JSPs, all locally. I have more corbons on order as well as Winchester JHPs.

I have grown up shooting Mausers and love them. I don't think you can go wrong. IIRC the last one I picked up was a Yugo carbine for about $350.

Shot an m44 at the range for the first time the other day. 5 rounds and a sore shoulder for 2 days. You can get em cheap, but if you wanna do a lot of shooting, I recommend something else.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Great rifle, but sell your blood and first born children to acquire the money to buy one. The last one I saw for sale was priced at $800 and looked like the Marine Corps had dragged it across Iwo Jima backwards.

Oh, and just try to find ammo for one as well.

I was in a gun shop today with a brand spankin' new Auto Ordinance M1 carbine for $599.

One can buy the surplus ones for about the same price.

Same gun shop had a shelf of Wolf .30 Carbine. My local shop also carries a lot of it, as well.

Must be your neck of the woods...

But, to the OP:

I'm gonna throw a wildcard in--see if you can find a Enfield #5 Jungle Carbine. Most are .303, but can be found in .308 as well...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I agree, cost is the reason I didn't go for the M1, I love the gun but for a gun I'm going to play around with and possibly refinish for the fun of it, its not the right gun. But man that weapon is a true carbine, 5 pounds and under 36 inches. That is the size I want.

The Mauser Carbine from the specs I have looked up seems to be around 43 to 44 inches long and about 9 pounds. So while cheap its just too heavy and long, too much rifle and not enough carbine.

However with the FR-8 or FR-7, it's around 38 inches and 7 pounds. Which is more of what I'm looking for. But the cost is higher from what I've seen about 200 or so.

Any other ideas?
    -Hybridz.org

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Recently I was surfing around and saw a mil-surp vendor with pallets upon pallets of NIB/NOS Yugo SKS rifles stacked to the ceiling. For the life of me I cannot remember where I saw them.

After seeing this blog entry http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...from-sg-works/ it made me want to buy an SKS.

UPDATE: Found the link: http://www.dansammo.com/images/inv/yugo.asp

I think that would be rather heavy in the rear wouldn't it? Also what about a fore grip? One would think that barrel gets rather warm out there. It is very cool looking and seems to be well priced.
    -Hybridz.org

Those SKS are very nice. A bunch of guys at my local shop got in and bought some for less than 100 at the time and took them apart and refinished them very nice and 7.62 is a nice round. I also agree with above an Enfield is a very nice carbine.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Links