revolver storeage

This is a discussion on revolver storeage within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I bought a small pistol box at gander mountain today to keep my revolver and other important valuables in. It was cheap (saving for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: revolver storeage

revolver storeage

So I bought a small pistol box at gander mountain today to keep my revolver and other important valuables in. It was cheap (saving for something better). It is just a simple key lock. It can be mounted to the floor or locked to a piece of furniture with a cable which is nice.

this is my first firearm. Should I keep it loaded in the safe or keep the ammunition elsewhere? or not even use the safe to allow faster access? also I have heard humidity can cause problems for the gun. any way to combat this?

It is for personal protection and I am locking it to keep it away from intruders and burgulars-apartment and car have been broken into(live in ****ty neighborhood in pittsburgh). No kids

2. Remove Ads

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Do you have a CCW permit?
    Can you carry at work, or lock it in the car at work?

If you plan on using for HD, it isn't going to do you any good either unloaded or hidden in a safe.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    A single swift kick from a heavy steel toe boot or a stiff hammer blow will show you just how useless these boxes are. A determined thief in an empty house has all the time they need to break open cheap steel boxes.

You would be better off hiding the pistols in a location that only you know about. I suppose that these boxes are ok if you just want to keep the kids hands off your pistol after you get home from work. If you expect any real security you are going to be disappointed.

You need to spend at least $1000 to get good firearm security for the home. Check Craigslist for Amsec safes. Sometimes you can find a nice bank cube or deposit box that originally retailed for thousands being sold used for hundreds of dollars. They are heavy so you may have to get a couple goons and some appliance dollys to get it home.

Good luck hunting...

VIP Member
    It won't do you much good unloaded and locked up... If you don't have a CCW permit I would only keep it locked up, if you're not at home.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

What I'd do.........

Quote Originally Posted by PaTony View Post
    So I bought a small pistol box at gander mountain today to keep my revolver and other important valuables in. It was cheap (saving for something better). It is just a simple key lock. It can be mounted to the floor or locked to a piece of furniture with a cable which is nice.

this is my first firearm. Should I keep it loaded in the safe or keep the ammunition elsewhere? or not even use the safe to allow faster access? also I have heard humidity can cause problems for the gun. any way to combat this?

It is for personal protection and I am locking it to keep it away from intruders and burgulars-apartment and car have been broken into(live in ****ty neighborhood in pittsburgh). No kids
    If you keep it locked up and have the ammo hidden elsewhere, you'll be in a world of hurt when you need it. I would keep it loaded and on my person at all times. If you go to the store or something, then lock it in the trunk which is much more secure than your apartment. To deter thieves lock your steering wheel with The Club or similar device. As for rust prevention, keep a very light coat of gun oil on it. Personally in a place with high humidity, I would have bought a stainless gun.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    from Central Florida!

Do you have a CCW permit?
    Can you carry at work, or lock it in the car at work?

If you plan on using for HD, it isn't going to do you any good either unloaded or hidden in a safe.

ret
    Thx for the welcome. Been lurking for a while. Bought my first firearm about a week ago (38 special, 2in barrel). Going to use it primarily for carry in the future until I get a more respectable HD gun.

In the waiting period now for the carry permit. Couple more weeks. Unfortunately I can't carry at work (University). I suppose I could lock it in the car.

So in the nightstand drawer or under the bed when at home might be my best bet then when I'm not carrying? I can already see it takes time to get it out of the pistol box.

What type of revolver is it? Does it have a blued finish? If so then a light coat of oil applied by wiping the entire gun with an oily rag (gun oil) will be fine. Stainless steel doesnt require as much maint. as a blued finish.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

PaTony,

I have a safe that I bought from academy sports. Fine fireproof heavy safes for much less than most places. Check out the AE31 on this site: Cannon Safe - Quality Home and Gun Safes - Safes: American Eagle

I keep all guns (except three that are in a locked display case and the one I am carrying at that time) in that safe. At night, I place my carry firearm on the nightstand. Every gun I have is loaded except for the three in the display case. As others have stated, an unloaded gun is like a car without gas. It might look pretty but it isn't going to do you any good.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

... by the way, I also welcome you to our forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Hey, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your handgun purchase!

I would not keep it locked up when you are home. If you feel the need to keep it locked up when you are away, using the lock box is going to be better then nothing, but I have seen videos of the lesser storage containers being pried open in just a few seconds. Get a picture and the number of the gun and store it someplace else, or just email them to yourself for safe keeping in the instance it does get stolen.

Like others have said, keep it oiled to prevent rust. I keep a red shop rag in a baggie that I refresh with a little bit of oil once in a while. When I put something away I just give it a quick once over with the rag to take off fingerprints and put a very thin layer of oil on the metal. Also, you may want to think about oiling the inside of the barrel. You can get a barrel mop, basically a cloth cleaning brush, for your cleaning rod for a few dollars. Just give it a tiny bit of oil and run it once down the barrel. I throw those in the same bag as my rag. It really takes a minuscule amount of oil for both.

I am not saying that is the end all solution to oiling when you store, but it has worked for me for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    What type of revolver is it? Does it have a blued finish? If so then a light coat of oil applied by wiping the entire gun with an oily rag (gun oil) will be fine. Stainless steel doesnt require as much maint. as a blued finish.
    It's an older charter arms 38 special with a blue finish and wooden grip. Im gonna have to get myself some gun oil

Quote Originally Posted by tbmccord View Post
    PaTony,

I have a safe that I bought from academy sports. Fine fireproof heavy safes for much less than most places. Check out the AE31 on this site: Cannon Safe - Quality Home and Gun Safes - Safes: American Eagle

I keep all guns (except three that are in a locked display case and the one I am carrying at that time) in that safe. At night, I place my carry firearm on the nightstand. Every gun I have is loaded except for the three in the display case. As others have stated, an unloaded gun is like a car without gas. It might look pretty but it isn't going to do you any good.
    Looks great. I'm going to save my pennies to get something like this

I would also suggest looking through the owners manual. If you dont have it, one should be available online through their website. It should give you some specific information on how to clean and maintain the revolver.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    Hey, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your handgun purchase!

I would not keep it locked up when you are home. If you feel the need to keep it locked up when you are away, using the lock box is going to be better then nothing, but I have seen videos of the lesser storage containers being pried open in just a few seconds. Get a picture and the number of the gun and store it someplace else, or just email them to yourself for safe keeping in the instance it does get stolen.

Like others have said, keep it oiled to prevent rust. I keep a red shop rag in a baggie that I refresh with a little bit of oil once in a while. When I put something away I just give it a quick once over with the rag to take off fingerprints and put a very thin layer of oil on the metal. Also, you may want to think about oiling the inside of the barrel. You can get a barrel mop, basically a cloth cleaning brush, for your cleaning rod for a few dollars. Just give it a tiny bit of oil and run it once down the barrel. I throw those in the same bag as my rag. It really takes a minuscule amount of oil for both.

I am not saying that is the end all solution to oiling when you store, but it has worked for me for a long time.
    Great advice, thx. Will take care of this ASAP

Use silica packets that come in most electronics and other items, throw them in the storage box to help stop humidity, while stored. I have heard some people use Turtle wax to fend off rust, but I've never tried it. If you're going to use the revolver for HD keep it loaded, if there are children present make sure they can't get to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links