Taurus Judge Question

This is a discussion on Taurus Judge Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Taurus (Night Court) Judge that I think is one great house defense piece. I was explaining it to my son, who lives ...

Thread: Taurus Judge Question

Taurus Judge Question

I have a Taurus (Night Court) Judge that I think is one great house defense piece. I was explaining it to my son, who lives in The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, he thought it was also a great defense piece. In fact, he thought it was soo good, he went to his favorite gun shop, in the Sacramento area.
    They told him that TPRoK, says that the Taurus Judge is a sawed off shotgun, and cannot be purchased in their great state.
    I don't know if this is the truth, or the guy behind the counter doesn't have a clue.
    Does anyone have a handle on the rules, as it pertains to handguns on the Left Coast, and can fill me in?
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I just pray this thread doesn't turn into another opinion piece about the pro's and con's of the Judge....

Sawed off shotguns are illegal everywhere in the U.S., to my knowledge, so I venture a guess that the guy is full of stool samples.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

correction - found this over on Glock Talk, you or someone else can look up the code and read for yourself:
    CA Penal Code 12276.1(a)(8) is not a factor in why the Taurus Judge is illegal in CA. Due to the Taurus Judge not meeting the definition of a shotgun under CA law; Penal Code 12020(c)(21).

However, the Taurus Judge along with the MIL Inc Thunder-Five, Bond Arms .45LC/.410 derringers & Thompson Center Contender with .45LC/.410 barrels due meet the definition of a short-barreled shotgun under CA law; Penal Code 12001(f) and 12020(c)(1)(A)&(B).

In summary, the Taurus Judge is illegal in CA due to it being classified as a short-barreled shotgun under CA law.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Glad I live FAR FROm THAT PLACE !!
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Thanks for the clarification, TinkerWstuff.
    I have tried to get him back, but he takes pride in being the only Conservative and gun owner in "THAT STATE"

California'ns allways end up in Colorado sooner or later.

Who is John Galt?

short barreled/sawed off shotguns aren't illegal everywhere - you just have to pay an extra $200 to the ATF.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    short barreled/sawed off shotguns aren't illegal everywhere - you just have to pay an extra $200 to the ATF.
    Put my hands on a completely legal Rem 870 that had a total length, pistol grip to mag screw, of 24". Yes the mag was longer than the barrel. Reportedly it shoots pretty well. No personal experience though. Not sure it's worth the extra $200 for me.

Distinguished Member
    A buddy of mine has a Judge.

Im not sure what he uses it for, but I borrow it on a regular basis to load up with .410 and use as a snake gun on the trail.

VERY EFFECTIVE

I am on the lookout for an inexpensive .38 snubby to load up with snake shot for this purpose, but havent found one that I have been able to justify paying for just to use on the trail.

VIP Member

Taurus Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Aidedegramps View Post
    I have a Taurus (Night Court) Judge that I think is one great house defense piece. I was explaining it to my son, who lives in The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, he thought it was also a great defense piece. In fact, he thought it was soo good, he went to his favorite gun shop, in the Sacramento area.
    They told him that TPRoK, says that the Taurus Judge is a sawed off shotgun, and cannot be purchased in their great state.
    I don't know if this is the truth, or the guy behind the counter doesn't have a clue.
    Does anyone have a handle on the rules, as it pertains to handguns on the Left Coast, and can fill me in?
    Thanks
    This is a relatively new gun that I just got some dealer info on.

What is the Judge. Well, it is basically a strange looking revolver.

It is not exactly a short barrel shotgun but could technically be considered as one in some states or cities because it can shoot shotgun shells.

It is actually a 3" Magnum That additionally features:
    Fiber optic front sight
    Fires Both .410 Ga. 3" Magnum or 2.5" shotgun and .45 ACP (5 round Capacity). *
    *Meets CA magazine capacity as a .45 but also is considered a short barrel rifle since it shoots shotgun shells, so not legal in CA. Sorry.
    Taurus Rubber grip.
    Blued or Stainless
    3" or 6" Barrel
    MSRP: Very reasonable but can not be published due to forum rules. Send me a private PM for more info.

I think I will order a couple. If nothing else, they are a conversation piece.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Links