Pro-gun quotes

Pro-gun quotes

This is a discussion on Pro-gun quotes within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just thought Id share a collection of my favorite quotes. (disclaimer: these may not all be accurate. They are as I found them) Mohandas Gandhi: ...

Thread: Pro-gun quotes

Distinguished Member

Pro-gun quotes

Just thought Id share a collection of my favorite quotes.

(disclaimer: these may not all be accurate. They are as I found them)

Mohandas Gandhi: "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest.

Admiral Yamamoto: "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."

Adolf Hitler: "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

Feel free to add your own!

John F. Kennedy: "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

The Dalai Lama: "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it
    would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Benjamin Franklin: Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Thomas Jefferson: "The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

George Mason: "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."

George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Thomas Jefferson: "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."

Alan Dershowitz: "Foolish liberals who are trying to read the Second Amendment out of the Constitution by claiming it's not an individual right or that it's too much of a public safety hazard, don't see the danger in the big picture. They're courting disaster by encouraging others to use the same means to eliminate portions of the Constitution they don't like."

Samual Adams: "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

St. Augustine: "Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men."

Aristotle: “Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.”

Charles A. Beard: ‘‘You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence.’’

Ayn Rand: "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."

Variation on Niemoeller:
    When they came for the Fourth Amendment, I said nothing - for I had nothing to hide.
    When they came for the Second Amendment, I said nothing - for I did not own a gun.
    When they came for the Fifth and Sixth amendments, I said nothing - for I had committed no crimes.
    When they came for the first Amendment - I could say nothing.

Abraham Lincoln: "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their 'constitutional' right of amending it or their 'revolutionary' right to dismember or overthrow it."
    Feel free to contribute!

I picked these up on another board. Gonna add yours to the list.

"The people are not to be disarmed of their weapons. They are left in full posession of them." ~ Zachariah Johnson, Elliot's Debates, vol. 3 "The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution."

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms;..." ~ Samuel Adams quoted in the Philadelphia Independent Gazetteer, August 20, 1789, "Propositions submitted to the Convention of this State"

"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." ~ George Washington, First President of the United States

"The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand arms, like laws, discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as property. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside … Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." ~ Thomas Paine

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." ~ Richard Henry Lee American Statesman, 1788

"The great object is that every man be armed." and "Everyone who is able may have a gun." ~ Patrick Henry, American Patriot

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" ~ Patrick Henry, American Patriot

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson, Writer of the Declaration of Independence and third President of the United States

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that ... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; ..." ~ Thomas Jefferson, letter to Justice John Cartwright, June 5, 1824. ME 16:45.

"The best we can help for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~ Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8

"Arms in the hands of the citizens may be used at individual discretion for the defense of the country, the overthrow of tyranny or private self-defense." ~ John Adams

"Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate governments, to which the people are attached, and by which the militia officers are appointed, forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of. Notwithstanding the military establishments in the several kingdoms of Europe, which are carried as far as the public resources will bear, the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. And it is not certain that with this aid alone they would not be able to shake off their yokes. But were the people to possess the additional advantages of local governments chosen by themselves, that could collect the national will and direct the national force, and of officers appointed out of the militia, by these governments
    and attached both to them and to the militia, it may be affirmed with the greatest assurance that the throne of every tyranny in Europe would be speedily overturned in spite of the legions which surround it." ~ James Madison, "The Influence of the State and Federal Governments Compared," 46 Federalist New York Packet, January 29, 1788
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Last edited by chiefjason; July 31st, 2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: fix tabs

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Thanks for this post! I think these quotes should be on every Congressmans computer wallpaper!
    [One Nation Under God]

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    "Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson, Writer of the Declaration of Independence and third President of the United States
    How is that one not on my list!?

That's one of my all-time favorites!

Thanks! Keep em coming!

"A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it."

Sponsored Links