Whatcha think about this....

This is a discussion on Whatcha think about this.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is my post from another forum. Just seeing what people think. *** I am not a overly paranoid person, but a knock on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whatcha think about this....

Whatcha think about this....

This is my post from another forum. Just seeing what people think.

I am not a overly paranoid person, but a knock on the door today made me think "I wonder..."

So I am a full time work at home person. Today while chugging away on coffee and spreadsheets I hear a knock on the door. Wondering who it could be, not expecting anyone. Not being a idiot and opening the door to just anyone, I look through the peep hole and see 2 thuggish looking people. I quickly wonder what the heck they want.
    So I go to my side window and peep out....

No bags or briefcases, no paperwork or folders, no products.....sure doesn’t look like they are selling anything. Another knock goes by and I still don’t answer, peering out the window in curiosity. I see one of them messing with something in his pocket. His hand doesn’t leave his pocket and he looks like.....he is adjusting something.....at which point I remove my gun from the desk drawer, ready for action.

A few moments later after giving up, they walk off. No car, no nothing, just walk off. I havent seen them back yet, but will be keeping a closer eye.

Think I am being too paranoid? I usually go with my gut feelings on things and something just wasnt right.

Also I may mention I live in Goodyear, right near the buckeye boarder. One of those master plan neighborhood, low crime good people. They just didn’t fit in....

2. Remove Ads

I don't think you're being paranoid. It would peak my adrenaline a little too. As a matter of fact, recently I came home to a car parked in front of my house. I lived in a small cul-de-sac, and thought nothing of it because the neighbors friends park there all the time for a minute, even though you are not allowed to. As I was passing the car, I noticed a black male in the car, and again thought nothing of it because my neighbors are black. But when I pulled into the garage, I saw the guy get out and start up my driveway, and I closed the garage door. I was armed, and went into my house to look out the window, only to see him drive away.

A week or two later I see the same car parked in front of a house on the other side of the road that my cul-de-sac branches out from. I was also coming home at this time, and then I saw him come from one of the houses..and he looked at me and just got in his car, and I went into the house. I was keeping a close eye ever since. I have no idea what he wanted..

These days, it pays to be 'paranoid' if that's what you want to call it. Personally, I call it the Boy Scout theme....."be prepared".

Nowadays you can't be too careful.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I don't think your being paranoid, just cautious.

Could be they were scoping out the place to see if and when nobody was home. Might be planning a return trip with a van for a cleanout....

bosco

VIP Member
    I'm curious as to why you didn't answer the door (not open it, just talk to them through it).

My reasoning:
    If someone is looking for a house to break into, they want an empty one. If you challenge them at the door: house occupied, they give you their pre-arranged lame excuse and leave. If nobody answers: house empty, make entry.

Since they left, they obviously weren't into burglary. But, I agree with everyone else; you can't be too careful in dealing with strangers.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

No, you can't be too careful, or too friendly.
    I trust no one.

We have some 'kooks' driving or bicycling through our sub once in a while. My one neighbor takes pictures of the 'magazine salesmen', and a pictures of their vehicles.
    On one ocassion, he took a pic of the guy at the door and then proceeded out to the white van and took a pic of the plate...they left the sub rather quickly.

If it walks like a duck...lock 'n load...

Stay armed...watch out for 'quackers'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't think you're being paranoid at all.
    I live in a quiet sub-division of a suburban community west of Cleveland, Ohio. It's mostly made up of upper middle class, working people who take care of their properties. All year long we are bothered by door-to-door pests constantly knocking on our door to inquire if we'd like to buy their product, give a donation, change to their religion, have them perform a service for us, vote for them and on an on. Most of these people are not even from our community but come out here from the city. Some are less than friendly and some are down right rude and indignant when you tell them you're not interested. To relieve this I printed up and posted a sign stating that "We will not deal with anyone going door to door", and we no longer answer when strangers ring. This has worked wonderfully for the past two years. Many of my neighbors have now done the same.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Under those circumstances I think you exercised due caution. I normally don't open my apartment door unless it meets certain reasonable expectations.

(1) I know them from the property
    (2) They are expected & made an appointment
    (3) They are in uniform (UPS/Fedex/etc.)

In case one more often than not they are employees of the apartment complex. I know most of them by sight. If I see a person I don't recognize I ask their name. I then call the office to verify they are current employees. If yes, I allow them into my apartment if that's what is required. If not, I may have someone who does not work on the property that is trying to access my apartment.

In the second case, I prefer that ANYONE visiting me give me a few days advance warning of their visit. My family & friends know I'm somewhat cautious as to who I allow in my home. In this day and age of home invasions we can't be too careful. Plus, even my own Mom has told me that it's just common sense to call a day or two in advance as well. Mom's a smart lady that way. She even insists that anyone planning on visiting her call her a few days in advance.

In the third case I have them step back and hold their ID's close enough to the peephole so I can examine it as best I can. If it looks fake, they're NOT getting me open my door & step outside my apartment on the "trust me" factor. If I'm really unsure of them I'll tell them to return later. I can always verify that they attempted delivery by using the "Tracking" feature of the various package delivery services. Most of them are required to make 3 attempts.

Most of my family know that I guns in my home. It's for this reason they call me to ask if they can pay me a visit. That's just good common sense from my point of view. As a rule whenever I answer my door I have my G26 in my right hand & my cell phone in my left hand. It never pays to be too cautious nowadays.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Not paranoid. If you wrapped tin foil on your head and said they were trying to read your thoughts, I might change my answer though ;) Sounds like your guard was up because a) they were strangers b) this was unexpected c) they were acting a little suspicious and d) they looked out of place. I'd answer through the door, just so they knew someone was home though. But I always answer the door with Ziggy on my hip. Occasionally, with my hand on his butt. (Butt of the gun, I mean.) Because it's true -- you just never know and it's better to hope for the best but be prepared for the worst, than the other way around.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Mardet65, I love the "We will not deal with anyone going door to door." It's simple, direct, inoffensive and gets your point across. I think I'll put a sign like that on my door.

As much as I respect the people who do this from a religious perspective (JW's/LDS/Etc.) it works well with the door to door salesmen as well. They are out there too.

Thanks for the idea!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

You did good, and are not being paranoid.
    We get a couple of these types at our door every couple months. I just call the local cops and report suspicious activity in the neighborhood and give them a good description.
    Once had a guy at the front door. Didn't open it for him, and suddenly realized I was being distracted while his buddy was checking out the rest of the points of access. Got on the phone with 911 right away.
    Anyone unannounced at my door gets my suspicion up immediately, as we have a No Solicitors sign on the door.

Your gut was right.

Remember, the sheep want us to think we are paranoid instead of prepared.

Sheep have a reality that doesn't coincide with what is the truth.

I never open the door to a stranger and we get lots down here,I'm 20 miles from Mexico,I ask them thru the door what do you want,most of them are looking to either sell you something,or want to mow your yard,I let my grass get a little tall sometimes,but only because it takes longer to get my riding mower out of the garage than to actually mow my yard.There have been numerous home invasions down here and the cops just busted a whole gang that posed as DEA agents
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links