Need advice - how to remove heat shields on AR15 handguard

This is a discussion on Need advice - how to remove heat shields on AR15 handguard within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Do any of you AR15 fans out there know how difficult it is to remove the heatshields from the lower half of the handguard? I ...

Do any of you AR15 fans out there know how difficult it is to remove the heatshields from the lower half of the handguard? I need to add a piccatinny rail to the lower half and when I removed the handguard I found it has two heat shields pressed onto plastic pins. I need to remove the shields to install the rail and then put the shields back on. Just wondering if it is difficult, impossible, just be careful not to bend, just buy a handguard with rails (epensive), etc. This is a Doublestar AR15 with 16" barrel. The handguard has mounting holes on top and bottom for rails, accessories, etc. Heat shields appear to be spring steel on top of aluminum. Any help would be appreciated. You may PM me if you want. Thanks.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

JD
    Administrator
    They can be removed by hand, no "special" tools needed, last time I think I just used a flat blade screw driver to pop the tabs out of the hand guard.

Thanks, JD. These are pressed onto 4 tapered plastic pins down the middle of the shields, so I was nervous about trying to pry the shields off without first consulting someone about it. It looks as though a flat bladed instrument would work but I was concerned about damaging the shields or snapping a pin if I pried too hard or in the wrong place.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

JD
    Administrator
    Pressed into pins?

Do they look like any of the following?

Closest to last picture but the pins run down the center of the shield all in a line. I don't have access to the guard to photograph it or I would.

They probably just pop in and out,heat shields are added after the handguard is made
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks. I'm gonna give it a try this weekend. I'll just be careful not to bend anything to badly.

Removing heat shields

Just wondering if this worked? I have the same issue with my Colt M4 AR-15. The hand guard has a double lined heat shield that appears to be glued and stamped into the plastic.

Any thoughts or other recommendations would be appreciated. I have a Colt LaserMax foregrip I would like to mount.
    Attached Images

I used a knife to shimmy the top heat shield one corner at a time, then the second heat shield. Worked like a champ. Need to bend the cleats back a bit and it probably would be best to use a a hand grinder to clean the clue off. You can re-glue once you put them back in. Also, if you have a Colt M4 the hand guard is tapered so I purchased a rail that was tapered to accommodate the factory hand guard. I needed to be true to the barrel since I am using a foregrip laser.

Quote Originally Posted by dhbry232 View Post
    Do any of you AR15 fans out there know how difficult it is to remove the heatshields from the lower half of the handguard? I need to add a piccatinny rail to the lower half and when I removed the handguard I found it has two heat shields pressed onto plastic pins. I need to remove the shields to install the rail and then put the shields back on. Just wondering if it is difficult, impossible, just be careful not to bend, just buy a handguard with rails (epensive), etc. This is a Doublestar AR15 with 16" barrel. The handguard has mounting holes on top and bottom for rails, accessories, etc. Heat shields appear to be spring steel on top of aluminum. Any help would be appreciated. You may PM me if you want. Thanks.
    They do make hand guard removal tools:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...7.aspx?ttver=2

Senior Moderator
    Ya now, for all the gazillion handguards I have removed on AR's. I have never felt the need to use a hand guard removal tool.

It just isnt that big of a deal to take them off.

Cradle the gun in your lap while pointing the barrel up, and use one hand to compress the delta ring and the other to remove the handguard.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I think the OP is talking about the inner shield in the handguard. I left mine factory and bought a quad rail for around 40 bucks, it added a little weight, but gave me a lot of mounting options and locations for other things like my light, fore grip etc.

Links