Friend of Mine Needs Advice

This is a discussion on Friend of Mine Needs Advice within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; He's NOT really a "gun guy" but he does fancy himself to be a "handy guy" and thus does a lot of his own repairs ...

Thread: Friend of Mine Needs Advice

Question Friend of Mine Needs Advice

He's NOT really a "gun guy" but he does fancy himself to be a "handy guy" and thus does a lot of his own repairs around his home and on his vehicles, etc. In this case he has a 1960's vintage Marlin .22 rifle and would like to RE-BLUE it. I told him that for spot refinished a cold blue might work just fine but to do the whole rifle and have it look GOOD, I'd take it to a 'smith were it mine. What say y'all? Because this is way outside of my expertise. I told him I'd send him a link to the responses posted here. He's a really good guy. Old friend of mine. Good conservative Christian guy.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    I reblued a shotgun a while back ago using cold blue. Worked out okay, although I did learn the hard way that the metal has to very clean and free from grease including your finger prints!

I'm sure there is a better way, but it worked and didn't cost much, just time consuming!
    [One Nation Under God]

VIP Member
    I agree with you Ex, should take it to a smith for re-blueing.

Can anybody recommend a product (maybe give a link) that he can use for cold re-blue?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    I have used Oxpho-Blue before and it has worked very well, as you said gun must be absolutely oil free, I recommend wiping it down with acetone then immediately apply the bluing.

BROWNELLS : BROWNELLS : OXPHO-BLUE - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I learned the hard way. TAKE IT TO A GUNSMITH. Oil from your hands, or even a dusty area, will make you have to do it again

VIP Member
    About half century ago, as a teen, I reblued a rifle. I'm sure the chemicals are different these days, so I have no idea if it would work out as well now as then. But, back then, it wasn't a big deal. I think it was just wipe on, wait, wipe off.

As with everything, sometimes get a pro to do the work can get you better results. Sometimes do it yourself is good enough. You'll have to decide if you can live with good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I have used Oxpho-Blue before and it has worked very well, as you said gun must be absolutely oil free, I recommend wiping it down with acetone then immediately apply the bluing.

BROWNELLS : BROWNELLS : OXPHO-BLUE - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools
    On a cheap gun I would have no problem doing it again. Kinda hard for me to spend the value amount of the gun for a professional blue job. I've done two firearms and the result is much better than I had hoped for. The product mentioned works well. Like others have said, cleanliness is important.
    Now it you are talking about a high dollar collectible gun spend the bucks and have it done professionally. As with anything, all professionals do not yield equal results so shop around. Ask to see work they have done.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

I'd take it to a reputable 'smith' and make it look like a new gun.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

No cold blue will have the durability or the depth and beauty of a hot blue done by a competent gunsmith like Doug Turnbull Restorations. As far as cold blues go, the best I've found is Van's Instant Gun Blue.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I cold blued a .22 in the late 1960's, have used it regularly for about 50 years, and it still looks pretty good.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I've tried OxphoBlue, Birchwood Casey, and Blue Wonder. Blue Wonder, by far, gave me the best results.

I had a friend hot blue a Winchester lever action a few years back. Every thing turned out great except the receiver witch came out a bright purple. He had to send it back to Winchester to get it redone. Winchester said this happened because of the type metal the receiver was made of. . ?????????????

Links