The Best Girls Night Out Ever

This is a discussion on The Best Girls Night Out Ever within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, a girlfriend of mine who has her CPL put together a range night for some friends. Her goal was to introduce some ladies to ...

Thread: The Best Girls Night Out Ever

So, a girlfriend of mine who has her CPL put together a range night for some friends. Her goal was to introduce some ladies to shooting who had never fired a gun before. In all, there were 11 of us, 5 of us with licenses to carry.

The range provided some basic safety instructions, gave some basic explanations for the firearms like how to line up the sites, proper grip, proper stance etc. Each person rented a firearm and off to the range. The nice thing was that each person rented a different firearm (some of us shared) so we could all try shooting different ones. We were pleasantly surprised when the range owner closed the range to the public and it was just us. We weren't expecting that.

Three ladies brought their own firearms. One lady who had never shot a gun before came with her 25 year old daughter. Her husband told her, since she was coming she might as well meet the home defense firearm, so he sent his H&K USP 45 for her to get acquainted with.

Some of the firearms we had:

HK P2000 9MM
    Sig P232
    .38 revolver (not sure who made it)
    FN57
    FNP 9MM
    H&K USP .45
    .45 (not sure who made it)
    Springfield XD Compact .40

Everyone that tried the FN57 loved it. It was the favorite of the night by a long shot. The range didn't have any .380 rounds to buy so only a few had a chance to fire the Sig P232 because the lady who owned it only had enough rounds for about two and half magazines.

All in all, it was a wonderful night for me because I got to try several firearms without the expense if renting each one. I don't know yet what my first purchase will be, but I definitely know what I won't be buying and that's the .38 revolver. My co-worker who owns it said she just had the trigger pull adjusted, and it was still too hard for my liking.

The highlight of the night.... at the end of the night one of the instructors brought out a FN Scar Assault Rifle. Now that was a big gun!!! Anyone who wanted to try got to shoot one round. That was a really big bang, but surprisingly, no recoil. It was too heavy to hold steady. I could really see that little red dot dancing down range, but it was still a nice experience.

What a way to spend a Friday night.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Sounds like a great experience all the way around. Maybe a few more gunowners in the making.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

One of our local indoor ranges (air conditioned) has "ladies night" every Friday. No lane fees, and free gun rentals to the females. Just have to buy their ammo for their guns. If you bring your own gun, you can use your own ammo. They are packed every week. They end up selling a lot of guns because of their generosity. Great opportunity to let the ladies try out numerous guns before buying. My daughter takes her girlfriends there often.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    It sounds like a fantastic night out with the gals! Also, I may steal this idea now... :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Nice!
    Sounds like you ladies really had a good time!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

That's cool, great way to get new shooters interested!

Sounds like everyone had a great time. I must say "cudos" to the range for making it a bit more friendly to women. I have been to a few of them with my GF and found that when she is with me she is treated a bit different than when she goes there by herself.

I have been working with my local gun range to set up women only classes and range instruction. That being said, they do have what they call a "square dance" on Thursday nights. I call it "follow the leader." And just for the record, some of the better shooters are the women.

Congratulations on a great idea and a fun time.
    Sometimes you find your destiny on the road you chose to avoid it.

this is great! exposure is key in a controlled environment.

thats awesome they shut down the range for you, too.

Great outing! It's nice to see such unbiased learning going on. Get in, get the hands dirty, and learn what you need to understand what's going on. That's how it should be ... without pressure, without judgment by others. Very cool.

I introduced a good friend of mine in much the same way, some months ago. We took a half dozen guns to the IPSC pits, took apart everything to show how they work, focused on safety and safe operation. We had a blast. He'd never done a shotgun, lever-action rifle, or most everything else I brought. He's still talking about it, asking when we're going out again. Anytime, buddy. Anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by compact View Post
    thats awesome they shut down the range for you, too.
    The person running the range probably knew it would come back a hundredfold, once that many got the idea that shooting was fun and useful. Good for the range operator!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The person running the range probably knew it would come back a hundredfold, once that many got the idea that shooting was fun and useful. Good for the range operator!
    We did have a blast!!. And, yes, the owner is going to make plenty because several of us are in the market to purchase and some are planning to take classes. I know I will be taking the next level of classes once I decide on a firearm.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

This seems like a good way to get your wives and girl friends who do not shoot started. It's kind of like teaching your wife to drive . someone else can do it better especialy if it's a all girl group

Joker1

Sponsored Links