Hunting Clubs in Virginia?

This is a discussion on Hunting Clubs in Virginia? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone know of any hunting clubs in the southern half of Virginia? I've looked all over the net but am not having any luck....

Anyone know of any hunting clubs in the southern half of Virginia? I've looked all over the net but am not having any luck.
    Do whatever floats your boat, but don't dare to try and sink mine.

What type of hunting club are you looking for. Most of the deer hunting clubs are private and wouldn't show up on the internet. Your best bet for one of these is to find a friend who is a member and ask if you can hunt as his guest. The hunt clubs exists because most of the land in southern and eastern Virginia is private, and the clubs lease the hunting rights. There are some public lands in my area, notably, the Powhatan and Amelia Wildlife Management areas. Also, most of the clubs will have a requirement that you have hunted a few times as a guest, before they will allow you to be nominated as a member, and the prospective member list is usually very long. Try going to the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries website, Google VDGIF and it will come up. They have a section on public hunting areas.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Well, it also depends on whether you mean the southeastern or southwestern half. Completely different hunting...in the eastern part of the state we can run hounds for deer, but for the most part can only use shotguns. In the western part of the state, rifles are allowed...but no hounds. The club I belong to is by far the best I've heard of...the dues are only $80 a year, that's because we don't lease any of the ~7500 acres we hunt...it is all done by permission from the local farmers. HOWEVER, you must reside within 10 miles of the club house, hunt for one season at least 3 times as a guest then get nominated for a membership.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    Well, it also depends on whether you mean the southeastern or southwestern half. Completely different hunting...in the eastern part of the state we can run hounds for deer, but for the most part can only use shotguns. In the western part of the state, rifles are allowed...but no hounds. The club I belong to is by far the best I've heard of...the dues are only $80 a year, that's because we don't lease any of the ~7500 acres we hunt...it is all done by permission from the local farmers. HOWEVER, you must reside within 10 miles of the club house, hunt for one season at least 3 times as a guest then get nominated for a membership.

Having lived, hunted, and belonged to clubs in both areas, that about covers it.

If you live in the SW and you see this tonight check out:
    Calendar Of Events

If the SE, check out:

Virginia Outdoor Sportsman Show 2009

Also, check out gun stores in your area. Some are very pro-hunting and a gold mind of info on local clubs, etc.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links