How often and how much do you practice ? - Page 2

How often and how much do you practice ?

This is a discussion on How often and how much do you practice ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Trying to go at least once a month. Taking the .22 lr and shooting it more than my carry piece to practice grip, target, and ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How often and how much do you practice ?

Trying to go at least once a month. Taking the .22 lr and shooting it more than my carry piece to practice grip, target, and left hand. Then I try to go through similar drills with my carry. Currently using small targets and working on accuracy. The most fun is a target with 12 1" dots on it. Load up a mag and shoot each dot once at 5-7 yrds. That will let you know what you are doing quickly.

I just wonder if those folks were target shooting or unloading the mag? Makes a bit of a difference, not much but a bit.

I try to go monthly, but I think that SD pistol courses serve a better purpose for me.

Stay armed...one shot a day is better than 365 shots on any one day...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I try to go once a week but lately weve been out of town on weekends. Maybe ill go today.

Until "ammo shortage" I shot carry gun every week, now every two weeks. (50 rounds) I shoot the 317 in .22lr every day in my garage (bullet trap and backdrop)(50 rounds)

.38 Spcl ammo is so scarce right now that in another month or two I will be down to firing the 317 only. Reloading won't help. Reloading supplies (especially primers) are just as scarce as ammo in .38 Spcl. I have .38Spcl range ammo on backorder at four different online sources and there hasn't been any avaliable locally for over 6 months.

We didn't need the Democrats, our own "people" have effectively shut us down.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Until "ammo shortage" I shot carry gun every week, now every two weeks. (50 rounds) I shoot the 317 in .22lr every day in my garage (bullet trap and backdrop)(50 rounds)
    I too shot a lot more before the 'shortage' jacked up prices of practice ammo. Nowadays it's almost all .22 for me.

Shooting in your garage sounds great! No discharges here except at licensed ranges, it's a crime
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Live outside the town limits. County doesn't care. I am in a "semi-rural" setting (smallest lots are 2-3 acres and most are 10+ acres.) I have 2 acres so I shoot indoors. Sometimes I just shoot CBs in the garage, not as noisy and at 10-20 feet just as accurate. 317 is actually harder to shoot than the 642/640. Trigger pull is harder and gun is lighter. I find if I can keep them tight with the 317, the 64X are easy to shoot.

I like shooting at the indoor range with the full sized guns but it isn't even a matter of cost here, the ammo just isn't available.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    I like shooting at the indoor range with the full sized guns but it isn't even a matter of cost here, the ammo just isn't available.
    You could always order online
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    You could always order online
    Read post above. I am on backorder at four of the largest online suppliers. And I have been on backorder for months. I got some MAGTECH at CTD 6 months ago and that was the last .38 Spcl I was able to find. If I can find some .40 S&W I will have to pull the Glock 23 out of the gun safe and start IWB (has always been physically uncomfortable with me.) This also severely limits my summer wardrobe to hotter clothes as I need a cover garment to hide holster and gun. I usually pocket carry and can get by with shorts or khakis and T-Shirts.

Ouch! I didn't realize it was still that bad online.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Not even half as often as I would like. I am unemployeed at the moment and saving the ammo I got left for the uncertain future. Not only that ammo is hard to come by here too.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I'm retired and have almost unlimited access to ammunition. I just bought a 10MM and traded for an XM15 Varmint special. I also belong to a hunting/shooting club about 10 miles from home that I have access to every day. I shoot something almost daily. I don't always average this but last week I ran about 100 rounds through the 10MM and 50 rounds through the .223. The 10MM is shooting well enough to consistently hit the head on an IPSC target at 40 yards using a 165 grain FMJ round running 1350 fps. Still trying to find the round the .223 likes best.

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Ouch! I didn't realize it was still that bad online.
    My monthly fliers from all four outlets show great bargains on ammo. When you go to the site though, everything is "Out of Stock, backorder OK" They have some of the Russian and Mexican junk ammo, but I won't use it. The only foreign ammo I will use is MAGTECH and some lots of that are borderline. I weigh and measure my ammo before I shoot it. I "calibrate" it and put the acceptable ammo in MTM boxes to put in the range kit. Even MAGTECH can have some horrific variation within the same lot. In all honesty Remington can be pretty wild too. Hornady, Federal and Winchester have all proven to be pretty consistent. (Remember, I am only talking "range ammo" ) My carry ammo is Hornady standard pressure 38 Spcl 125 gr XTP/JHP and I can't find any of that anywhere.

I try to shoot at least 100 rounds per month from each weapon I have (except the shotgun safe queen - ZERO rounds in 20 yrs). Unfortunately, life has interfered with that over the past 3 months so I've not been able to shoot as much as I would have liked.

But, on average, 1X per month.

And, what this "6 out of 10 on 18X18 at 15 yds" crap? 6 out of 10 on a std bullseye or silhouette target is FAILING not bragging territory. I would not associate with anyone who shoots that poorly. I might even ask for a different lane assignment if I discovered that I had the lane next to someone who shoots that badly.

FWIW, I would expect that most DC members can regularly keep all 10 inside a 9" circle at 15 yds or else they would sign up for some serious training. Some "occasional" flyers would be accepted but for the most part 10 out of 10 would be the usual. Especially in a slow fire drill. I use 6" bullseye targets (50 yd rifle) at 10/15/20 yds and can usually keep at least 9 out of 10 inside the rings at all distances with my 9mm. Not so hot with my DA .357 but it needs better/lighter springs and more range time. The .357 looks more like a shotgun pattern but all 10 are still on the paper & inside 9".

I try and shoot at least once a week and try to dry fire daily for at least 5-10 minutes a session. We usually have at least 2 or 3 open range days and when i go to visit the family out in the sticks there is a free range that is pretty nice. I try to shoot 30-50 rounds at least and sometimes up to 200-300 rounds.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

I shoot as aften as time and money will let me. It could be 100 rds every week for a while or 50 rds once a month. It all really depends on when I can get to the gun range and how much ammo I can afford to shoot at the time.

Anyway, I figure ANY practice is time well spent. Also, after shooting for more than 45 years, I know my abilities, my limitations and when it's time to put a few rounds down range.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links