Defensive Carry banner

How often and how much do you practice ?

4K views 52 replies 43 participants last post by  hogdaddy 
#1 ·
Yesterday at the range I listened to people brag that they could keep 6 out of ten rounds of 9 mm on 18 by 18 target at 15 yards like this made them expert shots or something , they all told me you only need to shoot once or twice a year. what say you ?

#36 ·
If someone else is comfortable shooting like that, well fine for them, I guess.
As for me I go to the range at least twice a week, shoot a minimum of 100 rounds and if I can't keep 98/100 in a 3 inch group at 21 feet I felt very frustrated with myself. I try to shoot consistant 2" groups and for the most part I usually do, but more than 1 flyer out of 50 tells me I'm doing something wrong.
I got back into shooting(and new to carrying) around the first of the year. After a 20 year vacation my groups were about 6" groups and that was enough to get me into practicing regularly. It didn't take more than a month to get my skills back to shooting the way I usta-could, and now I'm working on better accuracy and longer distances, and considering joining a league in mid January.
I've always been the driven type and tend to set very high standards for myself, and I tend to get better the harder the competition is. Joining that league may just make me a better shooter, if not I hope to meet some new people, make some friends and have a good time shooting at a minimum.:smile:

#37 ·
Yeah, they sound like a couple of pros..... Shoot as often as possible or as your budget allows. Trigger time is very important for muscle memory and point of aim, or sight pickup, what ever you want to call it. I try to go at least twice a month and usually try to shoot anywhere from a couple of hundred to three hundred rounds when I go. Mostly with my EDC guns but some with the home defense guns as well. Good luck..:bier:

#38 ·
My wife and I have been shooting for over 50 years, practice has long been a thing of the past. About once a year we'll set up a bunch of little tomato paste cans for just the fun of it. Regardless of how often we shoot, the tin cans fall just as they always have in the past. Some things don't change with age, thankfully our marksmanship is one of them.

#39 ·
How often do I shoot

I shoot about twice a week. 50 rounds of .22 LR , Then 50 rounds or more of 9mm and then 50 rounds of .45. Shooting paper does not really matter much. I shoot targets because I like to. I am not a hunter though I sell mostly hunting and camping gear.

I do shoot some of the tactical rifles and shotguns I sell.

I have some revolvers but mostly pistols. I shoot both.

I have some guns with lasers but they are worthless to me at a range if I can't point shoot.

#40 ·
Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice amkes perfect.

If you're really wanting to get better, dry fire, lots. Our usual dry fire includes around 1200 a week. Half including draw stroke.

Since I'm nearly done with POST academy, I get to shoot a lot! Twice a week, around 200 rds each time. If I was only putting 6/10 on an 18" target from 15yds.....I wouldn't qualify.

We shoot 50 rds in a qualifier, and it's timed.

from 3yds, draw, fire 4, reload, fire 4....10sec X3
from 7yds, draw, fire failure drill (2 chest, 1 head) 4sec X2
from 15yds, draw, fire 2 leaning out from behind cover, 4sec X3
from 15yds, draw, kneel, fire 2, 5sec X3
from 25yds, draw, fire 2, 8sec X2
from 25yds, draw, kneel, fire 2, 10sec X2

All draws and reloads are done moving, possible score of 250, 200 minimum to qualify.

#41 ·
I practice 2 - 3 times a week plus I shoot a minimum of 2 matches a month IDPA and USPSA (sometimes I add an ICORE match). At my age I am on the backside of the curve and the practice just keeps me whole.

#42 ·
I try to practice drawing and dry fire practice about every other day. Actual time on the range varies but usually at least 3 times/month and typically 100-200 rounds per session.

Putting ragged holes in paper is neat but bullseyes don't shoot back. I am of the belief that if you are in a defensive shooting scenario you are not going to have time to draw, present and get a good sight picture. I have also started practicing the tap-rack-bang drill since I have recently defected to the dark side. I used to carry weapons that allowed for a second strike but right now I am not.

I never have and hope to never experience a defensive shooting scenario. But in all of my readings and training with people far more experienced than I am I think it would be up close and really quick.

That is why I am working hard on point shooting tactics, one handed shooting and weak hand shooting. I have even went down in caliber from .45ACP to .40S&W for training and carry recently because I don't know if I could shoot a .45ACP round safely with one hand much less my weak hand.

That's just my .02 and as always, YMMV.

Be Safe,

NosaM

#43 ·
I try and put 150-200 rounds down range every other week. I wish I had the time and money to do more than that.

#45 ·
The simplest answer I can give is : not enough. I'm averaging about 100-150 rounds a month in one range session right now, and I can definitely tell the difference from when I was shooting at least that every weekend.

I'd like to get out there more, but it's just not possible right now.

#47 ·
Try to spend every nice Saturday at the ranch burning up some kind of ammo!! LOL I just got a smokin deal on a Mossberg Slugster w/ scope, so I'm gonna run some shot through it, then sight the scope in with some slugs!
Maybe 40 rds through the AR while I'm at it.....and a few hundred .22 also.....

Its gonna be a NICE day!!

#53 ·
Now that I got my practice ammo stash were I want it, I shoot my carry gun 3 mags, about a box & run a box through my other 9mm Ruger P95,
Now my P95 is my range/HD for wife & I, It's accurate as any other 9mm I have shot other than 3913 S&W.

I shoot my revolvers more now that ammos showing up at WW ; ) .38/.357
but mostly when I try to make a day out of it, I break out the .22's & have
tons of FUN A brick or TWO ; ) Shoot Safe H/D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.