How often and how much do you practice ? - Page 3

How often and how much do you practice ?

This is a discussion on How often and how much do you practice ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No set interval really. I would say roughly 2000 rds. a year. Lately I've been collecting more rds than I shoot....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How often and how much do you practice ?

No set interval really. I would say roughly 2000 rds. a year. Lately I've been collecting more rds than I shoot.
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. Richard Henry Lee 1788

I joined at the local range that I pass by frequently coming home from work. Once I'm a member, it costs nothing for each visit and targets are free each time.

I like to stop in several times a month at least and fire off ten to 20 rounds. I get a lot more out of frequent trips with a few rounds fired each time than I did when I only went once a month or less.

Before - it cost me for each visit so I wanted to "get my money's worth" out of each visit. I'd burn at least a box each time out and tire before the box was half done.

Now I can even stop in and fire just one single cylinder on a week day without anyone around. Much better practice that way.

More like that sudden gunfight than just a marathon session at the local range IMO.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    My goal is once a month 100-200 rounds total between .38 spl, .380, .40 & .45 ACP.
    Proud NRA member

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukenukum View Post
    Yesterday at the range I listened to people brag that they could keep 6 out of ten rounds of 9 mm on 18 by 18 target at 15 yards like this made them expert shots or something , they all told me you only need to shoot once or twice a year. what say you ?
    To shoot that "well", I don't think you'd need to shoot any more than a couple of times a year.

I tend to shoot at least 1-4 times a month.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Read post above. I am on backorder at four of the largest online suppliers. And I have been on backorder for months. I got some MAGTECH at CTD 6 months ago and that was the last .38 Spcl I was able to find. If I can find some .40 S&W I will have to pull the Glock 23 out of the gun safe and start IWB (has always been physically uncomfortable with me.) This also severely limits my summer wardrobe to hotter clothes as I need a cover garment to hide holster and gun. I usually pocket carry and can get by with shorts or khakis and T-Shirts.
    If you are still looking for ammo, send me a PM I stock most CCI .40 S&W, Hormandy & winchester. I stock 38 Special, .45 & 9mm luger.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukenukum View Post
    Yesterday at the range I listened to people brag that they could keep 6 out of ten rounds of 9 mm on 18 by 18 target at 15 yards like this made them expert shots or something , they all told me you only need to shoot once or twice a year. what say you ?
    If someone else is comfortable shooting like that, well fine for them, I guess.
    As for me I go to the range at least twice a week, shoot a minimum of 100 rounds and if I can't keep 98/100 in a 3 inch group at 21 feet I felt very frustrated with myself. I try to shoot consistant 2" groups and for the most part I usually do, but more than 1 flyer out of 50 tells me I'm doing something wrong.
    I got back into shooting(and new to carrying) around the first of the year. After a 20 year vacation my groups were about 6" groups and that was enough to get me into practicing regularly. It didn't take more than a month to get my skills back to shooting the way I usta-could, and now I'm working on better accuracy and longer distances, and considering joining a league in mid January.
    I've always been the driven type and tend to set very high standards for myself, and I tend to get better the harder the competition is. Joining that league may just make me a better shooter, if not I hope to meet some new people, make some friends and have a good time shooting at a minimum.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Yeah, they sound like a couple of pros..... Shoot as often as possible or as your budget allows. Trigger time is very important for muscle memory and point of aim, or sight pickup, what ever you want to call it. I try to go at least twice a month and usually try to shoot anywhere from a couple of hundred to three hundred rounds when I go. Mostly with my EDC guns but some with the home defense guns as well. Good luck..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

My wife and I have been shooting for over 50 years, practice has long been a thing of the past. About once a year we'll set up a bunch of little tomato paste cans for just the fun of it. Regardless of how often we shoot, the tin cans fall just as they always have in the past. Some things don't change with age, thankfully our marksmanship is one of them.

VIP Member

How often do I shoot

I shoot about twice a week. 50 rounds of .22 LR , Then 50 rounds or more of 9mm and then 50 rounds of .45. Shooting paper does not really matter much. I shoot targets because I like to. I am not a hunter though I sell mostly hunting and camping gear.

I do shoot some of the tactical rifles and shotguns I sell.

I have some revolvers but mostly pistols. I shoot both.

I have some guns with lasers but they are worthless to me at a range if I can't point shoot.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice amkes perfect.

If you're really wanting to get better, dry fire, lots. Our usual dry fire includes around 1200 a week. Half including draw stroke.

Since I'm nearly done with POST academy, I get to shoot a lot! Twice a week, around 200 rds each time. If I was only putting 6/10 on an 18" target from 15yds.....I wouldn't qualify.

We shoot 50 rds in a qualifier, and it's timed.

from 3yds, draw, fire 4, reload, fire 4....10sec X3
    from 7yds, draw, fire failure drill (2 chest, 1 head) 4sec X2
    from 15yds, draw, fire 2 leaning out from behind cover, 4sec X3
    from 15yds, draw, kneel, fire 2, 5sec X3
    from 25yds, draw, fire 2, 8sec X2
    from 25yds, draw, kneel, fire 2, 10sec X2

All draws and reloads are done moving, possible score of 250, 200 minimum to qualify.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I practice 2 - 3 times a week plus I shoot a minimum of 2 matches a month IDPA and USPSA (sometimes I add an ICORE match). At my age I am on the backside of the curve and the practice just keeps me whole.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I try to practice drawing and dry fire practice about every other day. Actual time on the range varies but usually at least 3 times/month and typically 100-200 rounds per session.

Putting ragged holes in paper is neat but bullseyes don't shoot back. I am of the belief that if you are in a defensive shooting scenario you are not going to have time to draw, present and get a good sight picture. I have also started practicing the tap-rack-bang drill since I have recently defected to the dark side. I used to carry weapons that allowed for a second strike but right now I am not.

I never have and hope to never experience a defensive shooting scenario. But in all of my readings and training with people far more experienced than I am I think it would be up close and really quick.

That is why I am working hard on point shooting tactics, one handed shooting and weak hand shooting. I have even went down in caliber from .45ACP to .40S&W for training and carry recently because I don't know if I could shoot a .45ACP round safely with one hand much less my weak hand.

That's just my .02 and as always, YMMV.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

I try and put 150-200 rounds down range every other week. I wish I had the time and money to do more than that.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Hate to admit it, but I don't "practice" anymore. I will shoot hogs and coyotes regularly, but my only practice is before CCW range qualification. Age + 50 yrs of shooting is the excuse.

The simplest answer I can give is : not enough. I'm averaging about 100-150 rounds a month in one range session right now, and I can definitely tell the difference from when I was shooting at least that every weekend.

I'd like to get out there more, but it's just not possible right now.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links