How often and how much do you practice ?

This is a discussion on How often and how much do you practice ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yesterday at the range I listened to people brag that they could keep 6 out of ten rounds of 9 mm on 18 by 18 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How often and how much do you practice ?

Angry How often and how much do you practice ?

Yesterday at the range I listened to people brag that they could keep 6 out of ten rounds of 9 mm on 18 by 18 target at 15 yards like this made them expert shots or something , they all told me you only need to shoot once or twice a year. what say you ?
    My open carry and gun / shooting blog
    http://adventuresinopencarr.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Ads

That may be all they need to shoot. Some are like that. Me? My skills decline to quickly. I shoot every week.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

not enough

I really think it depends on the individual. Late in May, I shot a CAS match which was the first time I had touched my CAS guns in over 7 months. The only shooting I had done was to break in a couple of new carry guns. I won my class and finished 15th overall in a field of 55 shooters which is about as good as I can do due to physical (bad knees, bad hips, arthritis) limitations. In 10 stages with a combination of rifle, handguns and shotgun and about 250 rounds fired, I had 8 misses shooting and moving as fast as I can go. BTW, I shoot duelist which, for you non CAS shooters, means my roughly 100 single action revolver rounds fired in the match were fired one-handed.

Basically, my shooting skills don't seem to deteriorate from lack of use. Fishing is a different story. If I haven't fished for quite some time, I spend the first couple of hours retrieving my lures from tree limbs as it takes me that long to get the "feel" down again. I know this thread isn't about fishing, I'm using it as an example of how different skills can deteriorate at different rates for the same individual.

The moral of the story is that it doesn't matter how much someone else practices. Each person should practice as much as they feel necessary to maximize their skills.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Well, last month was once a week for us (my #1 and me). We did the local gun club's steel challenge match today, so we're starting the month off right. I figure we'll need to get the 22's out next time whilst I forage for more pistol ammo. We burned through about 400 rounds of 9mm today between the two of us.

VIP Member
    For some that might be good enough. We all make ourown decisions factoring different priorities - money, time, skill-level. Not everyone can afford to spend 6-8 hours and $200 a week on developing their marksmanship.

For those who think that 60% "on target" is good enough, well, I certainly pray that it is.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I hit range at least 4 times a month.... granted the 4 times (minimum) I go, I should for free (60 rounds though each time). If/When I have more time I go more often... and then... the limit is my wallet ;) (on average I shoot 50 to 100 rounds when I go).

We are fortunate enough to be able to shoot here at home. I would say on average we shoot every other week, sometimes just one evening and sometimes two in a row. We usually run practice drills that would simulate more real life scenarios. I'd say all of our pistol shooting is done in 15 yards or less usually covering everything from right in your face to shooting and moving back or out to the 15 yard mark. I like to practice my draw when I shoot and be able to move backwards and side to side so I don't know that I'd be much interested in the range unless we were doing IDPA matches which we do one a month, two if we can make it. I'd say there are many personal factors that define how often one practices their skills. I'd love to be able to practice more often but right now we just can't.

I used to practice twice a month.

Haven't shot since last November -- bad winter, then the ammo shortage.

Once ammo becomes readily available and reasonably priced I'll be back to twice a month again.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Every week. Last week: 64 rounds 45acp, 50 rounds 380acp, 200 rounds 22lr. Tomorrow I already have out 50 rounds 38spc, 50 round 380acp, 50 rounds 40 S&W, and 200 rounds 22lr. I usually pick 3 or 4 handguns and have at it, but sometimes I'll just burn a few hundred through only one.
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

Quote Originally Posted by kingdaddyoh View Post
    Every week. Last week: 64 rounds 45acp, 50 rounds 380acp, 200 rounds 22lr. Tomorrow I already have out 50 rounds 38spc, 50 round 380acp, 50 rounds 40 S&W, and 200 rounds 22lr. I usually pick 3 or 4 handguns and have at it, but sometimes I'll just burn a few hundred through only one.
    Do you reload? I'm jealous! lol

I like to practice every week but lately it seems more like once a month. But then I do dry fire and airsoft practice at least 3 times a week. That helps a lot to maintain my ability.

I am not a great shooter but 6 out of 10 at 15 yards on an 18 by 18 target is pretty crappy shooting! Some people are easily satisfied.

Unfortunately I don't get to the range as often as I would like. I have to qualify every six months for work and for the army, so usually at least once between qualifications I'll shoot a couple hundrend rounds. Before I deployed was qual scores were improving fairly steadily. I just picked up a Ruger Mark III so I can afford some more range time. I'd like to step it up to at least once a month.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by GlockGal View Post
    Do you reload? I'm jealous! lol
    LOL, No I don't reload but try to keep my stockpile up by buying cheap when I can and you did notice I mentioned the 22lr. Sometimes that's all I shoot. I had a Buckmark done up in TacSol that is just a hoot. I messed around and bought several thousands rounds of CCI MiniMags so I figure I'm saving a bundle there!
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

VIP Member

How often do I practice?

Normally I try to shoot for about an hour at least once a week.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links