I Got Stopped

This is a discussion on I Got Stopped within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got pulled over for outdated vehicle plates. had my DL & CCW cards had no ticket given and was told to take care of ...

Thread: I Got Stopped

I Got Stopped

I got pulled over for outdated vehicle plates. had my DL & CCW cards had no ticket given and was told to take care of it.No mention about the gun. I live in Missouri

2. Remove Ads

Well, judging by the way you describe things, and figuring what you're actually getting at here, and without saying too much about it myself........I've had a few of the same experiences you described here without excessive elaboration. One thing I can say is that for the amount of times I've been pulled over since I've had my CC permit versus those times before, I've more than likely come out on the better side of things more often than I probably would have without. Follow me? Just one of those things, and I figure it comes with the territory. Not saying anyone's CC permit is a right of passage with law enforcement concerning writing you a ticket for an obvious infraction, it's just that there seems to be for the most part some sort of mutual respect if you conduct yourself as an upstanding citizen. Realize that everyone has an opportunity for a second chance and a day to make things right with a simple reminder. Whether or not having a CC permit in one's possession at the time makes any difference to the outcomes of these circumstances or situations is completely up to conjecture. Just be careful out there and play it smart.

when a police officer finds out you have a ccw, you become one of the "good guys". In most states, you have to pass the same background check that he/she had to, to become a police officer. It tells them instantly that you are a law abiding citizen with no felonies on your record.

Quote Originally Posted by knuckledragr View Post
    when a police officer finds out you have a ccw, you become one of the "good guys". In most states, you have to pass the same background check that he/she had to, to become a police officer. It tells them instantly that you are a law abiding citizen with no felonies on your record.
    Not always,some LEO's don't think anybody but cops should be armed and will actually treat you like your a criminal,demanding to know why you need a gun and even disarming you,I believe those officers are few and far between,but Probably more so in the more restrictive states
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by knuckledragr View Post
    Which doesn't necessarily mean that you're not getting a ticket......but I do appreciate being treated fairly without having my gun taken apart and placed in the trunk (as has been noted by some).

To the OP...sounds far to me!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I havent been pulled over since ive been carrying. Maybe thats a good thing. If i do i hope mine goes as well.

I haven't been pulled in 3 years... phew!

well I have been waived down once because I was doing 40 in a 15 (airport ramp, how gay) but he let me go without even asking me for my ID, maybe the army infantry sticker had something to do with that one

he did make me apoligize though :D

New Member Array kcsnakecharmer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Not always,some LEO's don't think anybody but cops should be armed and will actually treat you like your a criminal,demanding to know why you need a gun and even disarming you,I believe those officers are few and far between,but Probably more so in the more restrictive states
    I agree with this based on an experience I had last week. Me and a coworker were making our weekly trek to the range last monday when we got pulled over on a back country road because he was driving a bit too fast. My range bag was between my legs with my .40 in the main compartment and my loaded .380 in the outside pocket. I had been pocket carrying that gun until I got in the truck and stuck it in the bag. My buddy had 5 pistols in a large case between us on the seat along with an ammo can full of ammo. The cop came to the window, went through the usual license and insurance check and asked where we were going. we told him we were on our way to the range which was just a couple blocks away at this point. He asked if we had any guns in the truck and we told him yes and told him where they were. He took my buddy out behund the truck, spoke with him for a few minutes and then made him walk about 100' out in front of the truck. He then had me go back behind the truck and said that my buddy told him I had a CCW. I told him yes its in my wallet in my side pocket. His exact words were "that doesn't mean anything, everybody has a CCW nowdays." He asked if I had any guns on my person and I told him only the ones in the truck that we already told him about and then he asked if the guns were loaded. I told him only the .380 and one loaded .40 clip in the bag but the gun was not loaded. He again asked if I was sure I didn't have any guns on my person. Then he asked if I had any drugs on me or in the vehicle. I I told yes I'm sure I didnt have any guns on my and that I did not have any drugs to which he had me turn around and frisked my very thoroughly I might add. I mean I had already told the guy that we had seven guns in the truck and he knew that I had a CCW so I really dont know why he thought I would be lying about not having one on me and Im pretty sure neither my bubby or I look like a couple of crackheads. At this point the guy says in a real smart ass tone "Maybe my sinuses are just acting up but I smelled marijuana when I came up to the window". I told him that I hadn't smoked pot since the 10 grade (and that have been quite a few years ago) and that neither one of us even smoke cigarettes. He said he needed permission to search the truck and I told him to go ahead. He again asked what kind of drugs he was going to find. I was honestly getting a little frustrated with the guy at this point because we had been nothing but cooperative and respectful to him and he was being very accusatory with his tone and remarks. I told him we did not have any drugs but to pleas have a look for himself. He made me walk down in front on the truck with my buddy and took at least 10 minutes tearing the truck apart. He finally called us back to the vehicle and said he didn't find anything and made some other smart ass comment about being outsmarted sometimes because there are a lot of good places to hide stuff in vehicles. He told us that he unloaded the clips and separated all the clips from the guns so that we didn't try to take a shot at him. seriously....where did that come from?! He said we could go and we thanked him and told him to have a good evening. On the upside, he didn't write a ticket for speeding but I thought it was kind of weird that through this entire process, he never looked at my driver liscence of CCW even though he took my wallet out of my pocket and checked it for drugs. I actually felt like I was very much being treated more like a criminal than a law abiding citizen.

Never, never, NEVER consent to a search!

You have NOTHING to gain and EVERYTHING to lose.
    DO you perhaps have prescription ibuprofin or something which is in a non pharmacy container? ILLEGAL! Could someone, sometime have lost a tylenol 3 on your floor. BYE BYE! Tell it to the judge, you drug dealer, YOU!

NEVER CONSENT.

He's fishing, pure and simple. He may not have thought he'd find drugs, but he was sure as HECK gonna inconvenience you, and show you who was the big man on the scene. And MAYBE he'd find something to bust you for, that you weren't even aware of. Maybe he'd just find some cash money and confiscate it.
    "$500 cash in twenties, huh? Do you know that drug dealers usually use either hundreds, fifties, or twenties? AHA!"

He wouldn't even need to arrest you. Good luck getting it back.
    That is really popular in some locales. And the courts say it's legal.

If a cop arrests you, or somehow has probable cause, he doesn't have to ask you a thing.

Call his bluff, bring the drug dog, bring back up, bring his supervisor. Why do you think he jerked you around like that, and didn't give you a ticket for speeding? Because he's WRONG, and he makes this kind of thing a habit.

New Member Array kcsnakecharmer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    Never, never, NEVER consent to a search!

You have NOTHING to gain and EVERYTHING to lose.
    DO you perhaps have prescription ibuprofin or something which is in a non pharmacy container? ILLEGAL! Could someone, sometime have lost a tylenol 3 on your floor. BYE BYE! Tell it to the judge, you drug dealer, YOU!

NEVER CONSENT.

He's fishing, pure and simple. He may not have thought he'd find drugs, but he was sure as HECK gonna inconvenience you, and show you who was the big man on the scene. And MAYBE he'd find something to bust you for, that you weren't even aware of. Maybe he'd just find some cash money and confiscate it.
    "$500 cash in twenties, huh? Do you know that drug dealers usually use either hundreds, fifties, or twenties? AHA!"

He wouldn't even need to arrest you. Good luck getting it back.
    That is really popular in some locales. And the courts say it's legal.

If a cop arrests you, or somehow has probable cause, he doesn't have to ask you a thing.

Call his bluff, bring the drug dog, bring back up, bring his supervisor. Why do you think he jerked you around like that, and didn't give you a ticket for speeding? Because he's WRONG, and he makes this kind of thing a habit.
    Well we had nothing to hide and I was sure of that. I saw no reason to cause some big stink. I figured just let hm get his jollies and let us be on our way. Was he fishing...absolutely. Were we inconvenienced...yes. Were we treated fairly...probably not. But the couple hundred bucks we saved on the ticket will buy alot of ammo. The point I was trying to get across is that your CCW doesn't automatically make you a "good guy" in the eyes of all LEO. Some maybe, some maybe not. And I forgot to mention that like the original poster, we were in Missouri at the time as well.

Depending on what is going on, I might let him search, I got nothing to hide, and he is getting paid while i'm probably going somewhere... K9 will come, supervisor will come, this and that... about 30 mins. I got places to go...

if he is a total ******* though, I'll just not let him search and get smartass about it LOL

Do not consent to a search... do not consent to a search...

Ask "Am I being detained?" and if so, "For what reason?"

If he has probable cause he doesn't need your permission.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I've only been stoped once while carrying. The officer did not have any interest in the firearm. He only wanted to see my DL and registration. I suspect the stop was because I drive a very common make, model, and color of vehicle, and they were looking for someone. Once he saw I was too old to match the profile of the person of interest, he just went through the motions.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Several have stated they would not give consent to search. Has anyone actually done this and what were the results?

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    Do not consent to a search... do not consent to a search...

Ask "Am I being detained?" and if so, "For what reason?"

If he has probable cause he doesn't need your permission.
    But be polite about it.

An former LEO friend once told me to never consent to a search. He said that (this is in SC) if he searches without a warrant or prob cause and finds nothing and you complain, he can be in big trouble himself. He said he knew of a few who would have no problem "planting" to save their own skin. I know that they are few and far between but the risk is there as you usually will not know the LEO who is stopping you. They also are the product of the same society they are policing.

I have the utmost respect for LEO because of the job they do and the risks involved, I know that I do not have the patience required to be one myself, but I have rights too.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Links