Defensive Carry banner

I Got Stopped

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Brady 
#1 ·
I got pulled over for outdated vehicle plates. had my DL & CCW cards had no ticket given and was told to take care of it.No mention about the gun. I live in Missouri

#2 ·
Well, judging by the way you describe things, and figuring what you're actually getting at here, and without saying too much about it myself........I've had a few of the same experiences you described here without excessive elaboration. One thing I can say is that for the amount of times I've been pulled over since I've had my CC permit versus those times before, I've more than likely come out on the better side of things more often than I probably would have without. Follow me? Just one of those things, and I figure it comes with the territory. Not saying anyone's CC permit is a right of passage with law enforcement concerning writing you a ticket for an obvious infraction, it's just that there seems to be for the most part some sort of mutual respect if you conduct yourself as an upstanding citizen. Realize that everyone has an opportunity for a second chance and a day to make things right with a simple reminder. Whether or not having a CC permit in one's possession at the time makes any difference to the outcomes of these circumstances or situations is completely up to conjecture. Just be careful out there and play it smart.

#3 ·
when a police officer finds out you have a ccw, you become one of the "good guys". In most states, you have to pass the same background check that he/she had to, to become a police officer. It tells them instantly that you are a law abiding citizen with no felonies on your record.

#4 ·
Not always,some LEO's don't think anybody but cops should be armed and will actually treat you like your a criminal,demanding to know why you need a gun and even disarming you,I believe those officers are few and far between,but Probably more so in the more restrictive states

#7 ·
I haven't been pulled in 3 years... phew!

well I have been waived down once because I was doing 40 in a 15 (airport ramp, how gay) but he let me go without even asking me for my ID, maybe the army infantry sticker had something to do with that one

he did make me apoligize though :D

#9 ·
Never, never, NEVER consent to a search!

You have NOTHING to gain and EVERYTHING to lose.
DO you perhaps have prescription ibuprofin or something which is in a non pharmacy container? ILLEGAL! Could someone, sometime have lost a tylenol 3 on your floor. BYE BYE! Tell it to the judge, you drug dealer, YOU!

NEVER CONSENT.

He's fishing, pure and simple. He may not have thought he'd find drugs, but he was sure as HECK gonna inconvenience you, and show you who was the big man on the scene. And MAYBE he'd find something to bust you for, that you weren't even aware of. Maybe he'd just find some cash money and confiscate it.
"$500 cash in twenties, huh? Do you know that drug dealers usually use either hundreds, fifties, or twenties? AHA!"

He wouldn't even need to arrest you. Good luck getting it back.
That is really popular in some locales. And the courts say it's legal.

If a cop arrests you, or somehow has probable cause, he doesn't have to ask you a thing.

Call his bluff, bring the drug dog, bring back up, bring his supervisor. Why do you think he jerked you around like that, and didn't give you a ticket for speeding? Because he's WRONG, and he makes this kind of thing a habit.

#10 ·
Well we had nothing to hide and I was sure of that. I saw no reason to cause some big stink. I figured just let hm get his jollies and let us be on our way. Was he fishing...absolutely. Were we inconvenienced...yes. Were we treated fairly...probably not. But the couple hundred bucks we saved on the ticket will buy alot of ammo. The point I was trying to get across is that your CCW doesn't automatically make you a "good guy" in the eyes of all LEO. Some maybe, some maybe not. And I forgot to mention that like the original poster, we were in Missouri at the time as well.

#11 ·
Depending on what is going on, I might let him search, I got nothing to hide, and he is getting paid while i'm probably going somewhere... K9 will come, supervisor will come, this and that... about 30 mins. I got places to go...

if he is a total ******* though, I'll just not let him search and get smartass about it LOL

#12 ·
Do not consent to a search... do not consent to a search...

Ask "Am I being detained?" and if so, "For what reason?"

If he has probable cause he doesn't need your permission.

#15 ·
But be polite about it.

An former LEO friend once told me to never consent to a search. He said that (this is in SC) if he searches without a warrant or prob cause and finds nothing and you complain, he can be in big trouble himself. He said he knew of a few who would have no problem "planting" to save their own skin. I know that they are few and far between but the risk is there as you usually will not know the LEO who is stopping you. They also are the product of the same society they are policing.

I have the utmost respect for LEO because of the job they do and the risks involved, I know that I do not have the patience required to be one myself, but I have rights too.

#13 ·
I've only been stoped once while carrying. The officer did not have any interest in the firearm. He only wanted to see my DL and registration. I suspect the stop was because I drive a very common make, model, and color of vehicle, and they were looking for someone. Once he saw I was too old to match the profile of the person of interest, he just went through the motions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.