Air Rifle

This is a discussion on Air Rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am thinking about buying an air rifle to plink with out in the yard it has been forever since I owned 1 and I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Rifle

VIP Member

Air Rifle

I am thinking about buying an air rifle to plink with out in the yard it has been forever since I owned 1 and I'm sure they have came a long way. What would you folks suggest pump or co2 , .177 or .22 I don't want to break the bank just something fun.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    I am thinking about buying an air rifle to plink with out in the yard it has been forever since I owned 1 and I'm sure they have came a long way. What would you folks suggest pump or co2 , .177 or .22 I don't want to break the bank just something fun.
    Get a Gamo Pro Hunter. That shouldn't be too expensive. 1200+ FPS with .177.

If you want to get a more premium brand you can always get an RWS but expect to pay a lot more.

I have one of both and the RWS cost more than twice the price of the Gamo but it doesn't shoot twice as good.

VIP Member
    Wow that is slick but a little more than I wanted to spend trying to keep it around a $100 or less.

VIP Member
    Picked up a Beeman 1073 will let you know how it shoots.

Air Rifle

I have a Gamo Big Cat .177 air rifle. It shoots 1250 FPS with the PBA ammo and 1000fps with lead. It will kill squirrels and blackbirds easily. I paid about $150 for mine, but I saw them at Walmart for $99 the other day. The walmart version comes with a better (3-9x32 instead of a fixed 4x32) scope and a better mount (one piece) than the ones you get from the sporting goods stores around here. GREAT gun for the money.

P.S. I suggest stating away from the cheaper Beeman rifles. I bought the RS-2 (1073) and had to return it as it was inaccurate with the iron sights and the lenses in the included scope turned inside the housing. I swapped it for the Gamo and have not had 1 single problem.

Administrator
    I would'nt bother with a .22 if its just for backyard fun. I'd take a good look at the Benjamin/Sheridan line up. They will last forever, more accurate than you'll be and are pretty darn close to your budget.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Crosman 1377 Classic. (Multi-pump, .177 single shot pistol) ~ $50. There's a real following of fans who tweek, modify & generally improve its performance. In your budget, that gives you $50 extra for goodies as you want 'em. The carbine stock makes for a legal SBR. No CO2 cartridges, no warranty returns, PLENTY of power, accuracy & fun for the bucks. It's between a serious ($$$) air rifle & simple, low-buck BB fun. I have some other "high-end" air toys, but the 1377 honestly gets more trigger-time than all the rest. Hard to explain, but easy to enjoy.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Cabela's has a pretty good deal going right now on a refurbished Gamo air rifle with scope.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I like my Dasy 880 its had over 10,000 BB's and pellets throw it and been oiled once and it still shoots like the first day i got it

+1 on the daisy 880 I have one and its a fun little plinker.

VIP Member
    Gamo Whisper is quite and accurate. They go on sale at Cabelas at times.

You might want to look at Tech Force. I have the model 97T, and it does quite well in air rifle silhouette. It was $175 out the door (Compessaco, I think), and has a 10m .08ctc. Uses paintball co2 cylinders, and they cost $20 filled; refill is about $1.98, and last 1000+rounds.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

If you live in town you might want to consider noise level on some of these models. Don't want the neighbors/police to think you're shooting a .22. I've got a Gamo I play with on occasion but it's every bit as loud as some of the slower lighter .22 rounds. If you aren't in town try the CCI CB Long or a subsonic in a single shot or bolt action .22. I've shot the CB Long in my basement quite a bit. They will kill a squirrel out to about twenty yards.

Beeman has a duel barrel model sold at Walmart for $125.

I bough one and am dang well please with it. Both .22 and .177 work just fine. Comes with a scope too!

I soot for pennies instead of the good ammo I am hoarding for a reigning day.

Beeman has a dual barrel job sold at Walmart for $125.

It shoots well in both calibers...22 and .177

Now I shoot for about a penny a round and save my good stuff for a reigning day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links